It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about AGA professionals
Post #1 Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:40 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: StoneOrang
I'm not familiar with the AGA, so I could be putting my foot in my mouth, but, does the AGA have a proffesional go system? Like in the east? If not, how, theoretically, could the AGA work towards establishing one?

What would have to be done? Just curious.

Post subject: Re: Question about AGA professionals
Post #2 Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:27 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
No, it does not have one. As for what would have to be done, it might help to follow the discussion of the European professional go system: they face many of the same challenges as the US. In their favor, I think that there are more active European players, more tournaments, etc. So they're closer to being ready than we are.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:16 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
The only thing you need for an Eastern-style professional system is money. In the East, the money is provided by newspapers, because people like to read about high-class Go, and by companies, because they get publicity from having Go competitions with their name in them.

In America, since nobody really cares about Go, there's no incentive for anyone to give any money for this.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:10 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
There are two at least interpretations of what a pro system means. One is that the national association can bestow titles on players, by labeling them pros. The other is that the national association has enough money to support these proefssionals by means of salaries, stipends, honoraria, and/or tournament prizes.

Here in the US, we clearly don't have the money for the latter. And if we just bestow titles without money, from the Asian point of view, they may wonder 'How is he a pro if he hasn't quit his day job?".

Nonetheless, there are several US citizens who are clearly pro strength, such as Andy Liu and Jie Li, and a handful more who are arguably that strong, such as Francis Meyer. The best idea that I have heard is to bestow titles that are indicative of strength, not occupational status, like chess does with titles like 'master' and 'grandmaster'.

EDITED to correct names.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:50 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Nonetheless, there are several US citizens who are clearly pro strength, such as Eric Liu and Jie Li, and a handful more who are arguably that strong, such as Francis Meyer.

Actually, I'd say there are two American amateurs who are clearly of professional strength: Andy Liu and Jie Li. Eric may be there, as his play at the congress was very good, but I don't think we can say he's clearly there.

I'm holding a baby and cant elaborate, but I think the lower bound of professional strength is an 8.5 AGA rating, and it's probably more like 9.0. Look at the professionals who have played in the US, and then consider that most of them are out of active play.

See: http://bit.ly/a9jNGF (AGA ratings).