It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: From the AGA
Post #1 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:43 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 176
GD Posts: 1072
Maybe this will raise enough funds to get those pros back to the 2011 congress.

Quote:
Ads will soon begin appearing on the American Go Association (AGA) website, reports President Allan Abramson. “This will be a new source of revenue for the AGA, as we search for sponsors and donors,” he said. The AGA is working with Advanced Marketing Technologies to implement the website ads and Webmaster Steve Colburn “will monitor implementation to ensure that ads are appropriate to the AGA’s site and audience,” Abramson added. The web advertising was approved by the AGA’s Board last year.

Post subject: Re: From the AGA
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:48 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 87
GD Posts: 111
i sure hope it helps. i worked a long time with andy to get that deal worked out. now we're working towards more!

Post #3 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:35 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
pwaldron wrote:
... The AGA is working with Advanced Marketing Technologies to implement the website ads ...

Presumably this is a professional organization which charges a significant amount for its services. The AGA is an volunteer organization. Why is it paying money to do something when it is almost certain that the membership has expertize? This is an example where they should be accepting the large pool of volunteers which another thread indicates exists.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:30 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4631
Quote:
Presumably this is a professional organization which charges a significant amount for its services. The AGA is an volunteer organization. Why is it paying money to do something when it is almost certain that the membership has expertize? This is an example where they should be accepting the large pool of volunteers which another thread indicates exists.

I see more and more examples of Americans turning into Brits - whining and setting people up only to chop them off at the knees. They'll be complaining about the weather soon.

It is perfectly possible, for example, that the professional organisation is getting no money up front - just a percentage of whatever is generated. That would hardly be one in the eye for volunteers. It is even possible the company is donating some of its expertise.

And the supposedly large pool of volunteers doesn't need to stand around waiting for "leadership". They could organise clubs and tournaments on their own, for example. Whatever happened to America's enterprise?

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: imabuddha

Post #5 Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:31 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

I see more and more examples of Americans turning into Brits - whining and setting people up only to chop them off at the knees. They'll be complaining about the weather soon.

If this is directed as me then you have a couple of things wrong. First of all, I am not one of those "Americans turning into Brits". I am a Briton who turned into an American. Second, I belonged to the AGA for 30 years and did lots of volunteer work at both the local and national level. I only dropped out eighteen months ago because I got tired of the politics and mismanagement involved in the organization at the national level. I wouldn't exactly call that whining.

You are right about the weather though - it is too hot.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:05 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 87
GD Posts: 111
DrStraw wrote:
pwaldron wrote:
... The AGA is working with Advanced Marketing Technologies to implement the website ads ...

The AGA is receiving moneys from Advanced Marketing Technologies. The AGA is not paying any moneys to them for finding text-ads. This is part of a trend where the AGA can start to get back some of the funds from lost Ing funding. At the moment we are in discussion with another advertiser, this one very go related, and will get back some more money. This was also brought to the President and the Board around congress last year. Its taken longer to get anything finalized.

Steve Colburn
AGA Webmaster