All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: can't login to kgs
Post #1 Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:53 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 39
GD Posts: 25
OGS: phillip1882
i havent been able to login to kgs for a while now. the problem i get is that a kgs archives jar file is on a different domain server.
Attachment:
error.jpg
error.jpg [ 83.91 KiB | Viewed 9788 times ]

i tried adding kgs to my java exceptions list but this didnt help.

Post subject: Re: can't login to kgs
Post #2 Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:43 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
you can also write to admin@gokgs.com for help with these kinds of problems

Post #3 Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:43 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 5
GD Posts: 800
Are you using the standalone app (CGoban)? If not, I would download it to your machine, and try using that. This is giving me no problems, once I changed my Java security settings to Medium in the Java configuration app (Java Control Panel). I would swear that I had added gokgs.com to my Java exception list, but I just looked and it isn't there, so it must be the Medium security that got the job done. If you don't like the idea of Medium security, then i'm sure we can get it going with High security too.

In any case, if trying that angle doesn't get it done for you, reply back here, and we'll work with you to get it going. There's no point in having KGS slowly fade into the sunset just because there are some initial difficulties with setting up the app. Once you get it working, you won't have to fool around with it any more.

[UPDATE] Also, looking closely at your error message, it seems to be saying that both http://www.gokgs.com AND goserver.gokgs.com must be included in the exception list. In my book, those are not two *different* domains, so this shouldn't be necessary, but it would be simple to try. Maybe the person programming Java security isn't clear what a domain is.... ??

Last edited by Gohst on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:12 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 92
Was liked: 80
KGS: LocoRon
Gohst wrote:
[UPDATE] Also, looking closely at your error message, it seems to be saying that both http://www.gokgs.com AND goserver.gokgs.com must be included in the exception list. In my book, those are not two *different* domains, so this shouldn't be necessary, but it would be simple to try. Maybe the person programming Java security isn't clear what a domain is.... ??

They're two separate subdomains of the given second level domain (gokgs). They can also be referred to as third level domains. The "person programming Java security" was 100% correct to treat different third level domains as distinct entities, and thus require their own entries in the whitelist.

We can obviously look at those domains and make a reasonable guess that they are both legitimate KGS domains, both belonging to the same person, and thus either one should be just as "safe" to whitelist as the other. However, this is not always the case. I can easily name at least one instance where you wouldn't want to whitelist all subdomains of the given domain. Namely, Google's Blogger/Blogspot platform, which uses the the third level domain to point to a specific user's blog, eg, gohst.blogspot.com might point to your blog... or maybe not, but if you decide to whitelist that, you certainly wouldn't want malwaredistributor.blogspot.com or whatever to be blindly included in that whitelist just because they both share the same second level domain.

Anyway, "The More You Know." :)

This post by LocoRon was liked by: Bonobo

Post #5 Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:13 am 
Lives in gote

cgoban works for me, thanks.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:31 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
phillip1882 wrote:
cgoban works for me, thanks.

What changes did you make?

Post #7 Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:53 pm 
Lives in gote

i was trying to login from the gokgs website which didn't work, but downloading cgoban and logging in that way works.

Post #8 Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:52 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 12
FYI, a few days back I was having serious lags. E.g.: server status window would take 2 minutes to open but then it would show a server latency of ~200ms. I reinstalled CGoban 3 (I read in a server message that some people can't log in and that they should reinstall CGoban 3) and now it's flawless.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:57 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 12
Pfff I take it back, I take it back!
Today it's lagging again so badly. Practically I need to reconnect after my every move. Unplayable!
I don't know what may cause this, but this is unbearable.

Post #10 Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:06 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
Do an ip traceroute