It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The future of KGS
Post #181 Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:59 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Kirby wrote:
BigDoug wrote:
...The idea has been considered and rejected. I think you're confusing what you want with what the wider KGS community wants. I'm not aware of any groundswell of support for this feature.

Striked out portion should be "wms wants". There's a KGS wishlist, but features are by no means implemented directly in relation to public consensus.

Just because WMS doesn't implement features democratically, doesn't mean that what BigDoug said was inaccurate. People writing on a wishlist can easily be a vocal minority, and when a user implies that everyone wants timestamps, he may indeed be confusing what he wants with what everyone wants, whether or not WMS wants it.

Post #182 Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:11 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
Splatted wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but WMS wouldn't actually have to allow anyone direct access to KGS in order for them to contribute. People could write the code and submit the fixes to him, then he could implement them (or not) at his leisure. If he doesn't accept help it's because he doesn't want it.

As soon as wms accepts help with KGS code, it changes his ownership. He would not be free to monetize the code in any way he saw fit, such as the recent Android (paid) app, particularly in a litigious place like the USA.

This post by quantumf was liked by 2 people: Bantari, Splatted

Post #183 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:52 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
speedchase wrote:
Boidhre wrote:
And, it should have been obvious that I was referring to speedchase's point not BigDoug's given my choice of terms and that I referring to the interpretation that people are making of BigDoug's post and them seeing a false analogy from it, i.e. that you cannot quickly understand what he would say if you are not an IT professional. Which isn't a great point since not all IT professionals know much about coding or managing coding projects and there is a fair bit of coding that goes on outside of the IT profession.

To be clear, I am more on BigDoug's side here than the other, I just disagree with how he phrased things there. I appreciate the actual point he was trying to make.

I still didn't make that claim in any way, so it is still a straw man.

It's not a straw man argument if I misinterpret what you're saying in a reasonable way. I don't claim you said that, I merely say one could read that from what you said.

Post #184 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:20 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Boidhre wrote:
It's not a straw man argument if I misinterpret what you're saying in a reasonable way. I don't claim you said that, I merely say one could read that from what you said.

I don't think "All non-IT professionals are non-techies" is a reasonable interpretation. It is a statement that is clearly ridiculous, and if you think that it is reasonable to assume that that is what speedchase meant, I would consider that a direct insult. You're effectively saying: Speedchase is the kind of person who is obtuse enough to make a statement like "All non-IT professionals are non-techies".

Post #185 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:25 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 149
Was liked: 101
Universal go server handle: billywoods
BigDoug wrote:
That's why I asked you about your IT industry background. If you told me that you're a high school student taking your first programming class, then I'd use different terms and concepts than if you told me you have 20 years as a developer in commercial environments.

I've already made my experience pretty clear throughout this thread, though: I'm old enough to be paying student debts, but young enough to have grown up under the internet; I am experienced enough in programming (in C, if you care) to have taught courses in and tutored it, but I have insufficient experience to consider myself able to contribute usefully to open-source projects. If you're interested (for good reasons) in my general computer literacy, or my competency as a programmer, you're very welcome to ask, but you are not welcome to ask about my professional background. To be honest, I'd prefer it if you asked me about the bug!

BigDoug wrote:
You state as a matter of fact that the lag is caused by a KGS bug. I don't agree with this yet. We haven't yet eliminated your computer, your cables, your firewall, your wireless router (if you have one), your local network infrastructure and so on and so on.

You haven't yet asked whether I have performed basic testing (such as running the client on different computers and on different networks, disabling and enabling firewalls, and trying basic advice handed to me by Google). Let me make it clear: I have, and I have no other problems with connectivity or other Java applets. If you have questions, please just ask them, rather than saying "I don't yet know that you've done x". I find that tone very grating.

Post #186 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:38 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
HermanHiddema wrote:
Boidhre wrote:

I don't think "All non-IT professionals are non-techies" is a reasonable interpretation. It is a statement that is clearly ridiculous, and if you think that it is reasonable to assume that that is what speedchase meant, I would consider that a direct insult. You're effectively saying: Speedchase is the kind of person who is obtuse enough to make a statement like "All non-IT professionals are non-techies".

No.

If someone says: "Ideally I'd like to explain it to people that are A. People that are B cannot understand these things." It infers that the author thinks not-As are Bs. This doesn't logically follow from what they said but the human mind doesn't work deductively and fills in an extraneous "All not-As are Bs" in the middle there sometimes. This structure is what I object to here, not because I think speedchase thinks this but it's because what some people will read this way and will get their backs up. It's a very commonly used argument structure in Politics because it draws this kind of association while being perfectly defensible as "no reasonable person could interpret it that way," it will however successfully get under the skin of some people because of the implication that they see. (I don't think speedchase was doing this) Phrase it as "Ideally I'd like to explain the new tax regime to people that are economists. People who understand nothing about economics won't be able to understand what I say" and you can see what I mean. Is it absurd to draw that conclusion? Yes. Will some people get upset about a statement like this? Yes. In a heated argument, like here, they usually won't go the extra step and ask "could the author have meant what they appear to say?"

Post #187 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:16 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
imabuddha wrote:
Kirby wrote:
And in my case, one of the neighbor's henchmen comes along and kicks me out of the car onto the road because of a misunderstanding. I try to clear the misunderstanding up, and tell my neighbor that I was hurt by what the henchman did, and my neighbor tells me to go **** off because I don't pay him anything for his car.

Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOTKA0aGI0
Help, help! I'm being repressed!

Listen. Strange programmers from the Left Coast monopolizing code is no basis for a system of Go playing. Supreme executive playing derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical collection of hegemonic admins.

This post by deja was liked by 3 people: BigDoug, imabuddha, loganmhb

Post #188 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:29 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 18
billywoods wrote:
I've already made my experience pretty clear throughout this thread, though: I'm old enough to be paying student debts, but young enough to have grown up under the internet; I am experienced enough in programming (in C, if you care) to have taught courses in and tutored it, but I have insufficient experience to consider myself able to contribute usefully to open-source projects. If you're interested (for good reasons) in my general computer literacy, or my competency as a programmer, you're very welcome to ask, but you are not welcome to ask about my professional background. To be honest, I'd prefer it if you asked me about the bug!

Your skills in programming or lack of have nothing to do with any understanding of how the internet works. Citing it seems pointless.

Major sites spend a lot of money and resources to keep their sites from lagging, often setting up servers in many countries. This is not duplicable by KGS.

It is implausible to have isolate it as a server software bug without assistance from someone with access to the peer (the server) itself.

You will need admins to work with you to perform tests from their side to eliminate it as a network issue first.

Post #189 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:03 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
duckweed wrote:
Major sites spend a lot of money and resources to keep their sites from lagging, often setting up servers in many countries. This is not duplicable by KGS.

Despite of this, I think no one would be complaining about lags, if the client would just place the stone and stop the clock in that very instance when I click the mouse. That's how Tygem does it - works like a charm. :D

Post #190 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:33 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 149
Was liked: 101
Universal go server handle: billywoods
duckweed wrote:
Your skills in programming or lack of have nothing to do with any understanding of how the internet works. Citing it seems pointless.

Don't be ridiculous. It was BigDoug that asked whether "you're a high school student taking your first programming class [or] you have 20 years as a developer". I didn't volunteer this information. I also think it's irrelevant.

duckweed wrote:
It is implausible to have isolate it as a server software bug without assistance from someone with access to the peer (the server) itself.

I've not isolated it as anything; I think it's a confusing mixture of factors I don't understand. But I do understand that KGS is the only instance of this lag that I experience (apart from the rather extreme cases BigDoug mentioned earlier), so the fault is almost certainly not with my machine, or anything of the sort. And if it's not affecting everyone else, then the server is probably not under prohibitive amounts of load, which would (presumably) affect everyone equally badly. Where the fault actually lies, I don't know. But even if the problem is simply that KGS is not communicating well with my machines or my network, there is probably a reasonable sense in which that is still a fault with KGS.

Post #191 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:05 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
Shouldn't we be using an analogy to discuss lag? Maybe some kind of tea party, or community fair?

Post #192 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:39 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 62
Javaness2 wrote:
Shouldn't we be using an analogy to discuss lag? Maybe some kind of tea party, or community fair?

Diagnosing lag is like a box of chocolates. You never know in advance what the cause is gonna be.

This post by BigDoug was liked by: PeterHB

Post #193 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:34 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 18
billywoods wrote:
.. Where the fault actually lies, I don't know. But even if the problem is simply that KGS is not communicating well with my machines or my network, there is probably a reasonable sense in which that is still a fault with KGS.

This is the leap of logic people have trouble with ...

This post by duckweed was liked by: Boidhre

Post #194 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:10 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 141
Universal go server handle: speedchase
Any argument relating to the internet taking the form "This problem only happens when I am doing XYZ, therefore it is XYZ's fault" is idiotic.

Post subject:
Post #195 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:20 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Blind men and an elephant

Cargo cult science

Post subject: Re:
Post #196 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:23 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 141
Universal go server handle: speedchase
Javaness2 wrote:

EdLee wrote:

I don't really get the point you are trying to make

Post #197 Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:25 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
Javaness2 wrote:

Ok, so you are out at a franchised restaurant and order a steak. It sometimes takes a really long time to get your food. You have tried sitting at different tables in the restaurant, and also ordering different side dishes with your steak, but none of these seem to guarantee being served quickly. Other restaurants seem to serve you quickly, of course most of them aren't offering steak. Some people in other cities don't seem to have a problem getting a steak quickly from their restaurants of the same franchise. The problem may lie in: having a slow cook, your restaurant being busier for its size, having a disinterested server who forgets about you, a poor GM managing your specific venue, or a systemic problem in the supply chain in the franchising system.

Post #198 Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:13 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
duckweed wrote:
You will need admins to work with you to perform tests from their side to eliminate it as a network issue first.
...you must be new around here.

This post by hyperpape was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #199 Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:17 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
A little clarity from Louis CK on modern technology and issues of lag. Warning: explicit stuff but funny as hell.

http://youtu.be/KpUNA2nutbk

Post #200 Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:37 am 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
deja wrote:
A little clarity from Louis CK on modern technology and issues of lag. Warning: explicit stuff but funny as hell.

http://youtu.be/KpUNA2nutbk

Relative to sitting in caves scratching the dirt with sticks, the internet is pretty cool. But once you decide to do something on the internet that could have been done in person, or through the mail, and a technical failure fouls it up, the internet is irritating. You don't need to be a genius to understand that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next