It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First non-transferred Malkovich? :)
Post #1 Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:09 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
I would love to play in a Malkovich game! I am a mid-dan player on the KGS Go Server. I have seen some of the Malkovich games on the old forum and it looked neat. I won't request that my opponent is at a certain level, but I would strongly prefer that my opponent writes quality posts. I won't bring up names, but I've noticed that only few of the Malkovich games on the old forum contained commentary longer than even one sentence :?. I am not saying 40-page essays are needed; I only ask that genuine and thoughtful posts are written for the audience. This would also greatly benefit me and hopefully my opponent as well. As far as I understand, a Malkovich game is not merely a turn-based forum game; rather, it is an educational experience.

Post subject: Re: First non-transferred Malkovich? :)
Post #2 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:24 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
I'd recommend waiting a bit on that.

As you can see in this thread, there is going to be some shuffling going on. I plan to do it tomorrow after everyone has a chance to comment. If I screw up, your new game will disappear.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:52 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Yeah, I'm doing my best to not jump the gun and transfer the bb game or start a new Malkovich until the forum reshuffle, but I'm raring to go~.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:37 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Ok, the forum appears to be ready to go. There is a registration thread now for meeting opponents. I recommend copying your posts there.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:05 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 16
Araban wrote:
I would love to play in a Malkovich game! I am a mid-dan player on the KGS Go Server. I have seen some of the Malkovich games on the old forum and it looked neat. I won't request that my opponent is at a certain level, but I would strongly prefer that my opponent writes quality posts. I won't bring up names, but I've noticed that only few of the Malkovich games on the old forum contained commentary longer than even one sentence :?. I am not saying 40-page essays are needed; I only ask that genuine and thoughtful posts are written for the audience. This would also greatly benefit me and hopefully my opponent as well. As far as I understand, a Malkovich game is not merely a turn-based forum game; rather, it is an educational experience.

I'll give it shot. Don't expect many moves per day though.

Also a format suggestion: black marks his move with 1, white with 2. Additional numbers are conditional moves, or offers so to speak. The opponent can deviate from the offered line at any point. Good?

Post #6 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:32 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
Conditional moves used to be signalled with a hidden section preceded by the word "trigger". You would make your play, then read the trigger section, and act upon it if your move was the one chosen for the trigger.

If you have conditional moves out in the open, you're influencing your opponent's options and reading.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:01 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 16
Phelan wrote:
Conditional moves used to be signalled with a hidden section preceded by the word "trigger". You would make your play, then read the trigger section, and act upon it if your move was the one chosen for the trigger.

If you have conditional moves out in the open, you're influencing your opponent's options and reading.

hmmm .. I see your point .. I was mostly thinking of using them for obviously forced moves/josekis etc. Certainly if I had any surprise up my sleeve I wouldn't post it as an offer. But maybe you are right.