All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Comments per move ratings for Malkovich games
Post #1 Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:21 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
There has recently been a bit of discussion on these boards about Malkovich games and their change in character. Some have advocated splitting into a full-comment forum and a no/low-comment forum. Others have been opposed to this. Some like long comments, some don't. There seems to be no splitting or non-splitting solution that will please everybody.
But there is clearly a desire to have the Malkovich games characterised or categorized in some manner so that observers can find the games that they want and avoid the others.

In an attempt to address that, I am listing the games in order of comments per move. To be precise, it is non-space bytes of comments per move. So far there are only two that I have counted. I chose them at random. I'll add more later.

1214 #28: Shaddy (1d) vs. Marcus (4k) 61 moves, 74032 bytes of comments 74032/61 = 1214
0295 #29: Magicwand (3d) vs. Loons (5k) 13 moves, 3829 bytes of comments. 3829/13 = 295

Please note that my placing the games in a list implies no judgement about them by me. ( I do have such judgements, of course, but I am striving to keep them out of this thread. They appear elsewhere. ) I am merely applying a simple mathemetical formula and ordering the results. Those who like lots of comments can start at one end of the list, those who like few or no comments can start at the other. Those who are indifferent to the number of comments can skip this thread.

Methodology notes: I copied almost everything that was in hide tags to gedit ( linux's editor ). This copying included comments by kibitzers. It did not include triggers, or off-topic comments. Next I used gedit's primitive statistical functions.
When copied, a full 19x19 diagram ends up 950+ characters. Almost half of this is white space. As written English is around 6 characters per word plus white space, this ended up measuring a diagram as being worth about 135 words. I felt that this was too high, and so I used the no-white-space measurement which no makes a diagram worth about 85 words.
Measuring videos presents a new issue. It is too much work to transcribe them and then count words, or to try to freeze-frame each significant board position and try to count it as a diagram. My gut feel is to count videos at about 2000 characters per minute of run time.

Post subject: Re: Cooments/move ratings for Malkovich games
Post #2 Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:40 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
Just two things: *comments* not *cooments*, and *note* not *not*.

This could be interesting.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:35 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
This counting could even be done by a program. However, often the kibitzers provide some high quality comments, too. So this is difficult to count. Maybe kibitz comment could be added to the count if it has been liked by another user. This is often an indication that this comment was judged helpful.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:58 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
SpongeBob wrote:
This counting could even be done by a program.

That would be very useful. Such programming is beyond my current skills. If anyone wants to do it, that would be very helpful.

SpongeBob wrote:

However, often the kibitzers provide some high quality comments, too. So this is difficult to count. Maybe kibitz comment could be added to the count if it has been liked by another user. This is often an indication that this comment was judged helpful.

I counted comments by kibitzers.

Post subject: Re: Comments per move ratings for Malkovich games
Post #5 Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:06 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 353
Was liked: 107
GD Posts: 460
1 minute of videocomment might be more bits than Joaz has ever commented.

edit1: I just discovered that Joaz is also videocommenting
edit2: I am neutral of the subject on videocommenting but bits of comment per move is now a nonsense quantity.

Last edited by cyclops on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:37 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 43
IGS: ethanb
cyclops wrote:

More bandwidth but less content.

I greatly prefer text - I can take it in at a glance rather than waiting for fifteen minutes to find out that there may not even have been anything I didn't intuitively find in the position mentioned in the video at all.

But I try not to mention it much because I know I'm in the minority. I just end up not looking at Araban's commentary at all. I saw Tabemasu mention he might start doing it too and fortunately he hasn't yet because I'm really interested in the game the two of them are playing.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:35 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 30
ethanb wrote:
cyclops wrote:

More bandwidth but less content.

I greatly prefer text - I can take it in at a glance rather than waiting for fifteen minutes to find out that there may not even have been anything I didn't intuitively find in the position mentioned in the video at all.

But I try not to mention it much because I know I'm in the minority. I just end up not looking at Araban's commentary at all. I saw Tabemasu mention he might start doing it too and fortunately he hasn't yet because I'm really interested in the game the two of them are playing.

+10.

I know a lot of people here like videos, but I am one who tend to skip on videos. I greatly prefer diagrams. I can usually glance through mid-sized text comments with diagrams in under a minute, instead of waiting for five to ten minutes for the video to finish.