It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Applying Fundamentals!
Post #1 Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:10 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
Another game I played, where I tried to apply the fundamentals as well as I could.

Fundamentals I was focused on:

- Keep your opponent seperated (on a big scale), while trying to connect your stones (on a big scale)
- Attack to make a profit

I'm trying to play a few games where I consciously formulate a plan when dealing with an invasion. This is the first game of those exercises, and the invasion-plan/attack starts at move :w50:.

I am white in this game.

Questions
:w10: is Tenuki the best move? If you don't, what's the best move locally for white in the upper right?
:w10: Would high approach (or a high 2-space approach) be better to work together with my stones on the upper right?
:w30: necessary/good move to live?
:w34: I was unsure playing this. Does this look weird or is it okay? I expected black to do a 3-3 invasion next and I'd build a wall towards the right and start attacking that lonely stone.
:b35: I do not know this move. Probably I don't react optimally. Still thinking about that wall, though. (need a solid wall, so I extend instead of hane)
:w50: N3?

Okay so here the game plan begins. My plan was to attack the black stones, use my influence to push it around. I'd use this to build influence and a potential moyo on the bottom/right.
I'll leave my questions at that. Further in the game, black counterattacks, threatens to cut, I cut him again, he threatens a group of mine, I barely save it but in the process his corner gets killed and he resigns.

Thanks for any help!

Post subject: Re: Applying Fundamentals!
Post #2 Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:48 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 153
GD Posts: 100
KGS: Tryss
Black has a much better move at 97 (and before) to capture the P7 white stones : can you find the tesuji ?

Disclaimer : there's several ways for white to try to resist, so I'm not 100% sure it works while keeping the corner group alive, but I'm 95+% sure black can get a very nice result by playing this tesuji

Post #3 Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:05 am 
Lives in gote

Tryss wrote:
Black has a much better move at 97 (and before) to capture the P7 white stones : can you find the tesuji ?

Disclaimer : there's several ways for white to try to resist, so I'm not 100% sure it works while keeping the corner group alive, but I'm 95+% sure black can get a very nice result by playing this tesuji

Is it the crosscut tesuji at R9?

Post #4 Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:02 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Ian Butler wrote:
Questions
:w10: is Tenuki the best move? If you don't, what's the best move locally for white in the upper right?

You asked this question one move too late. :) You would like to cut Black's connection, but given the location of :w8: you can't, so as you noticed you're sort of in a quandary. The solution is to play :w8: at P14. Now if Black tries R15, you can cut him (I'm not sure if you know this pattern yet, ask if you don't; you should know it by 10k).

Of course there are other moves for :w8: besides P14, but if you want to play O15, play P14 instead.

I had a 6k play your :w8: against me the other day, so this is certainly not something all SDKs know!

Post #5 Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:17 am 
Lives in gote

dfan wrote:
Ian Butler wrote:
Questions

You asked this question one move too late. :) You would like to cut Black's connection, but given the location of :w8: you can't, so as you noticed you're sort of in a quandary. The solution is to play :w8: at P14. Now if Black tries R15, you can cut him (I'm not sure if you know this pattern yet, ask if you don't; you should know it by 10k).

Of course there are other moves for :w8: besides P14, but if you want to play O15, play P14 instead.

I had a 6k play your :w8: against me the other day, so this is certainly not something all SDKs know!

I did not know that! Thanks for your correction. I've checked out the right sequence on Sensei Library. So in the future I'll hopefully do the right thing and play the cosumi or an attachment and not the one space jump :)

Post #6 Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:57 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Ian Butler wrote:
dfan wrote:
Ian Butler wrote:
Questions

I did not know that! Thanks for your correction. I've checked out the right sequence on Sensei Library. So in the future I'll hopefully do the right thing and play the cosumi or an attachment and not the one space jump :)

There's a one space jump to the second line. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.