It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2H KGS-Game
Post #1 Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:45 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
A game against a friend from my old Go-club. Despite it was played on the internet, I consider this as a game of my ongoing losing streak in real-life games (because of more than 30 minutes/60 byo-yomi each player) - it's been a month now since my last win...

Seems, all are progressing faster than me : (

Okay, where did I go wrong?
Especially, where and how should I have reduced his right side? Or was that uninteresting?
I know, I should not have cut down there. I read it and thought, well, maybe I'm just missing a stone and the cut will work nonetheless... It was nice later on, that my opponent let me cut him in two. We talked about this after the game and he thought, he could have easily prevent this.
And, yeah, I should have played the Ko... Again, I didn't read it well enough.

Recently, I experience (not only in this game, but in many real life games) a completely "I don't know, where to play". And it always ends with my opponent playing the big points : /

Seems, I lost my focus somewhere.

Post subject: Re: 2H KGS-Game
Post #2 Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:31 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 17
GD Posts: 396
I'm weaker than you so don't take this like advices or reviews or even good ideas.

I feel like you tenuki when he approaches some of your groups because you think they're safe, whereas they aren't and you then have to live small in gote. Top left corner for example, and even top right corner, where you let him invade whereas you had time to protect it before.

I wondered also why you didn't cut earlier at e12 (but he let you do after).

Post #3 Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:48 am 
Gosei

Yep, I struggled there in the corners.
In my opinion it was too submissive to answer immediately but I failed to fix this weaknesses in time. When I'm now seeing this game, I - of course - see some occasions where I could have fixed this but in the game I was blind.

I wasn't aware of the cut until the moment I 'produced' it. Then I didn't cut immediately because I thought my floating center group needed some help beforehand. If he had connected the cut, I would have shut in his corner and therefore connected my center group to the bottom.

But you're right there are so many of my moves rotten in this game, I am barely able to go over it ^^

Post #4 Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:25 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 67
Was liked: 10
GD Posts: 138
I'm around your strength, but here are some thoughts on reducing the right side:

32: You have a moyo on the bottom too, so play a move that expands yours while restricting his. Maybe P6 or O7.

36: I may be totally off, but I'd consider O8 instead, restricting his side and increasing your moyo. After he cuts, you can perhaps play P7 and then return to the cut at E12 or to some other moyo-enhancing move (maybe E3).

Post #5 Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:42 am 
Gosei

prokofiev wrote:
I'm around your strength, but here are some thoughts on reducing the right side:

32: You have a moyo on the bottom too, so play a move that expands yours while restricting his. Maybe P6 or O7.

Uh, yeah! That definitely would have been the wiser choice. I should keep an eye on my own territorial prospects once in a while ^^

Post #6 Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:48 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
not too bad...until 24,26
if you wanna play at 26 it's better not to play 24 at all.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #7 Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:21 am 
Gosei

I liked the idea of closing both sides of my territory. Clearly this put my upper group in a bad situation, because it got surrounded.

Is the idea behind 'just playing 26' to force my opponent to slide under my upper group and then 'split' this group from the his one at the top? But that would drive him in my bottom Moyo, wouldn't it?

So, why just playing 26? ^^

Post #8 Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:28 am 
Tengen

SoDesuNe wrote:
I liked the idea of closing both sides of my territory. Clearly this put my upper group in a bad situation, because it got surrounded.

Is the idea behind 'just playing 26' to force my opponent to slide under my upper group and then 'split' this group from the his one at the top? But that would drive him in my bottom Moyo, wouldn't it?

i didnt say 26 was not a good move or bad.
i said if you wanna play 26 dont play 24 aji keshi.
giving up little more points to white is better than letting him stand up in sente.
remember aji keshi is bad!!!!
if you dont stop playing such moves you will never improve.

edit:
38,46,48,50,52,54 <--these are the moves i would never even consider playing. because they are all aji keshi. and i am only showing you few moves out of so~~ many.

Last edited by Magicwand on Wed May 12, 2010 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Magicwand was liked by: Chew Terr

Post #9 Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:29 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
SoDesuNe wrote:

It's a bit unreasonable to try and enclose territory when you have 2 stones, both on the 4th line, 5 spaces apart. Even after playing C11 you are left with the weakness at C13. Forcing White to extend is not a good exchange for you, so that's why Magicwand suggests 26 is better without the 24-25 exchange (he is not implying it's the best move though). Trying to enclose territory in the C13 area is small thinking because your group is very safe, especially with C17 which reserves C18 as a life vest.

Personally, I would play 24 at E11. Even if the group is safe, getting surrounded is usually bad. E11 also puts pressure on D10.

This post by Solomon was liked by 2 people: Chew Terr, SoDesuNe

Post #10 Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:42 am 
Tengen

Araban wrote:
Personally, I would play 24 at E11. Even if the group is safe, getting surrounded is usually bad. E11 also puts pressure on D10.

that was exactly what i was thinking..

and also.. for move 22 i would have played C9 then you dont have to worry about that hard to answer invasion.

Sodesune need to improve on opening. i fount most of his opening moves subpar.
and also close combat full of aji keshi.

i apologize if i have offended you. it is my intention that you understand your weakness. nothing more.

Post #11 Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:10 am 
Gosei

Thanks to you both. Now I can understand =) I'll remember this.

magicwand
Yeah, the sequence from 46 on is very, very bad. And no offense taken, you're long enough in this community, so that I know you're just helping me! Thanks for that!