It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rules for European Professional Go System
Post #21 Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:33 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
As T Mark would say, I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.

Quote:
I've only ever seen numbers about the success of the manga (22 million copies) and articles saying it has had a big impact.

The impact has been measured in Japan through the government's annual Leisure White Paper. I used to post articles with these figures in the days when go forums were more lively, and now I've forgotten them. But the gist was that there was a noticeable impact of something like a boost from 5 million to 6 million players or maybe 7 million, but it was temporary and has now dissipated completely. As far as I can recall, only one pro (Yo Chito) has admitted to becoming a go player because of HnGo.

Even in the west, figures from national associations show static or declining go membership so the HnGo magic, even if present, has hardly been transformative. The HnGo crowd may be prominent on the internet, but in real life?

The single most important event in go history, in terms of impact, longevity, range and other important metrics has to be publication of Xuanxuan Qijing (Gateway to All Marvels), in my opinion. However, if you want actual numbers and something more tangible you could point to publication of Shinfuseki-ho, which sold 100,000 copies in a fledgling go market and spearheaded a movement we still talk about today. You could talk about the Yomiuri's ten-game matches which boosted sales by a third (helping it become the world's biggest newspaper). You could talk about Cho Chikun's success which led to Beatles-like mania greeting him at the airport on his return to Korea. You could talk about the millions of dollars spent by Baron Okura and Ing Changki. You could talk about the brave support of Chen Yi in China in the wake of the Cultural Revolution. You could talk in fact talk about dozens of things that have had longer lasting effects than HnGo.

Agreed that the least important event to impact on go has been research on rules, but those who can state that most categorically are, unfortunately, those of us who have been playing and promoting go for the past several decades and whom you have so cavalierly air-brushed out of history.

Must get back to building my ark. Pair go is the deluge of the future.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Bantari

Post #22 Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:36 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Bantari, welcome.

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by: Bonobo

Post #23 Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:54 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
John Fairbairn wrote:
Must get back to building my ark. Pair go is the deluge of the future.

Tandem go is random go.

-- New Mexico go proverb ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.