It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Abyssinica's Study Journal
Post #61 Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:18 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 124
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
It's that time where I sleep when I want and wake when I want. For that reason, I don't think I'm going to be updating with the dates, just updating the journal when I finish my studies for the day. And no, I don't consider kgs ranked games as studying. Practice, maybe, but not studying.

I'm thinking of setting a new goal for myself now. My original goal, as I have written, was kgs 9k by the 1st of June. That's in two days and I'm sitting on the edge of 8k. (I usually study a whole lot when I reach a new rank to make sure I don't fall below it.) I think my new "goal" will be 3k by the end of August. That's 3 months for 5 stones, or about a stone every 18-20 days or so. I hope I'm good enough to not be a complete wash when I get to finally go to the Katy Go Club. :cry:

*Did Intermediate problems #122-134
*Watched Bats Journey Through Go pt1 - Influence Rules!
*WatchedBats Lecture Series - Influence Wars
*Chapter 1 of "Enclosure Josekis" by Masaki-Takemiya Pattern One and Two I'm only getting a glance through this book at the moment. Simply playing out the variations to get a feel for it. This book will take a very long time, I can tell. But, at the same time, sabaki is so cool.
*[1996-07-06] Lee Changho 9p (Black) vs. Kobayashi Koichi 9p (White) B+7.5 - Played out three times according to Sodesune's method. It seems to me like Kobayashi was trying to find enough aji to live in the lower right, but it felt like he was just burning more ko threats. I got to about 50 moves on the third playthrough without consulting the sgf. After that, I started to do local sequences in the wrong order. And by wrong order, I mean I do one complete local sequence and then move on to the other side of the board when in reality, the two are reversed.

Post #62 Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:42 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Are you using Tasuki's version of Cho Elementary/Intermediate? How long is it taking you per problem?

Post #63 Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:30 am 
Lives in gote

RBerenguel wrote:
Are you using Tasuki's version of Cho Elementary/Intermediate? How long is it taking you per problem?

I am using Tasuki's version; for the intermediate problems it takes me about 1-5 minutes for an average problem and 5-10 for a hard problem. Today, though, the first few I did I was able to solve in under a minute which really shocked me. I was able to find the reason that black was able to live or that white was able to die within 10 seconds and then the actual sequence a bit later. For the first I saw under the stones and then found the sequence after two tries. For the second, I found the solution in 10 seconds because "shortage of liberties." Problem 124/125 seem like they belong in elementary.

Post #64 Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:39 am 
Gosei

Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Abyssinica wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:

I am using Tasuki's version; for the intermediate problems it takes me about 1-5 minutes for an average problem and 5-10 for a hard problem. Today, though, the first few I did I was able to solve in under a minute which really shocked me. I was able to find the reason that black was able to live or that white was able to die within 10 seconds and then the actual sequence a bit later. For the first I saw under the stones and then found the sequence after two tries. For the second, I found the solution in 10 seconds because "shortage of liberties." Problem 124/125 seem like they belong in elementary.

Right. These two (and 123 above) are elementary-level (in Cho's terms.) Actually, 123 is very similar (the same, maybe?) of an Elementary problem.

I'm asking because I'm doing Elementary using Anki (so I'm doing each problem many times, tomorrow I'll have done all problems at least once, and this accounts to having solved 2012 problems so far, in 776 minutes) and last time I checked I still felt Intermediate was taking just too much time. I think that (even though it will definitely improve your reading) if there are problems in Intermediate taking you 5 minutes or more, you should just stop, and do again Elementary. I know, it feels stupid to downgrading your problem solving, but as long as you are reading sequences you are improving. But far, far better to solve 5-10 problems in 5 minutes (Elementary) than solving 1-0 in 5 (Intermediate.) You may read as much in both cases, but you'll get to see more shapes in the first case.

Post #65 Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:46 am 
Lives in gote

One thing that I was doing for a little bit that I should really go back to is redoing the beginning problems out of elementary while I was going through whatever problems I was on (They were the 600-700's at the time I believe.) I believe that I should have to go through some of the harder Intermediate problems sometime and it doesn't help to just ignore them and go on to a higher volume of easier ones. There's a point where either all of the easier problems are too easy and all of the harder problems are a challenge, and you just have to get passed the initial struggle like I had to do when I started doing the elementary problems. Besides that, solving harder ones like 122 feel more rewarding. I have all the time in the world for tsumego now, though, but I'd really like to start doing tesuji problems. The book is scheduled to arrive next week because ~business days~

Post #66 Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:17 am 
Gosei

The thing is, what is hard now will be easy in a while. If I had to give a problem in elementary more than 1 minute and a half or so, I just suspended the card and re-enabled it later. It has happened with 7 problems or so, and when I was again confronted with them it was like "but it's so easy!" If hard problems were everything to it, we'd all be doing Igo Hatsuyoron.

I like how Namii likes to put tsumego/tesuji things: it's like gaining experience points in an RPG. You are unlikely to defeat a lvl 20 boss when you are just level 10, of course you can try and maybe you can do it every once in a while. But you can grind your way with more ease by defeating level 7 bosses and getting more experience until you can face it. In some sense your reading ability improves like this: by doing easy (but not trivial: they are problems you should read completely and not just spot the shape point) problems your reading gets increasingly deeper and clearer. And you also get to know more basic shapes you can apply to later, more complex problems.

Post #67 Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:07 pm 
Lives in gote

*Did Intermediate problems #135-156
*Did Get Strong at Tesuji problems #1-18
*Watched Bats Lecture Series - Influence Wars pt2
*Went over [1996-08-03] Lee Changho 9p (Black) vs. Ma Xiaochun 9p (White) B+R
*Read A&D chapters 6,7, and 9
*Enclosure Josekis chapter one pattern 3 and 4 After I finish glossing over chapter 1, I'm going to do it again. And again. And again.

Two new additions to my library. :study:

Attachment:
lqAmZhw.jpg
lqAmZhw.jpg [ 133.5 KiB | Viewed 8119 times ]

Post subject:
Post #68 Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:08 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Abyssinica, something about the lighting...

This post by EdLee was liked by: RBerenguel

Post subject: Re:
Post #69 Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:11 pm 
Lives in gote

EdLee wrote:
Abyssinica, something about the lighting...

I like being in the dark. :batman:

This post by Abyssinica was liked by: moyoaji

Post subject:
Post #70 Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:48 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Abyssinica wrote:
I like being in the dark. :batman:
Me, too.

Post #71 Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:11 am 
Lives in gote

*Did Intermediate problems #157-167
*Did Get Strong at Tesuji problems #19- 48
* Watched Bats Lecture Series - More Weak Groups - 07-03-2013
*Went over [1996-11-16] Lee Changho 9p (Black) vs. Cho Hunhyun 9p (White) B+R
*Read Direction of play chapter 2 and went over it on my board
*Enclosure Josekis chapter one pattern 5-6
I really enjoyed pattern 6. And, the quote that struck me the most in pattern 5 is, "White counters with an atari of his own at 4. This pattern is often seen. Note that White 4 is a key sabaki technique, mastery of which is essential for all serious players." It only strikes me because just an hour or so ago I had a "mini-review" from a 1d in which we went over a position like this when I did the 2-4 probe. He showed the atari like white 4, which threatened a ko, as a forcing move I should make before giving up two or so stones lightly. I had not done that this game, and the result he showed was equivalent to the one in my game except for the addition of the forcing move.

Post #72 Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:58 am 
Lives in gote

People didn't like clacking, so I didn't get to use the board until about an hour ago when they left and, well, I'm too tired to go through enclosure josekis chapter 1 right now. I did play a lot on kgs today, so there's that.

*Did Intermediate problems #168-180 (Skipped 168)
*Did Get Strong at Tesuji problems #49-78
*Did Get Strong at Invading problems # 1-15
* Watched Bats Lecture Series - More Blood! - 08-14-2013
*Went over [1996-12-18] Ma Xiaochun 9p (Black) vs. Lee Changho 9p (White) W+R
*Read Direction of play chapter 3 and went over it on my board

Post #73 Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:28 pm 
Lives in gote

*Did Intermediate problems #181-191
*Did Get Strong at Tesuji problems #79-102
*Did Get Strong at Invading problems # 16-33
* Watched Bats Journey Through Go pt2 - A Change
*Watched Bats Journey Through Go pt3 - Goal!
*Went over [1997-10-31] Lee Changho 9p (Black) vs. Kobayashi Satoru 9p (White) B+5.5
*Read Direction of play chapter 4 and went through it on my board
*Enclosure Josekis chapter 1 pattern 1
*Truestyle lecture opening + sabaki

I really like those batt videos because my own style had almost gone into what Batt's 8k style was, yet I am far worse at it. Somehow I always end up making a huge central moyo and then relying on it for over half to two-thirds of my own points, and I'm trying to curb that because I can't influence very well. There's also my habits of playing without thinking at all; over about a hundred to a hundred and fifty moves (So 200-300) I'll have used a total of 10-15 minutes. Essentially, my blitz go is at the 8k level, and I really really need to slow down. If I have byo-yomi of 30 seconds, I can afford to play 30 seconds per move in MT.

Essentially, my two problems holding me back (Though I have not hit a wall at 8k), are:
1. Relying too much on huge, central moyos
2. Playing too fast

One of these can be easily fixed in an instant. One of these only takes a little time.

Post #74 Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:04 am 
Lives in gote

I thought too hard and I got owned.

Move 58 was a misclick during the demo.

Attachments:
Kheldragar-14.sgf [3.23 KiB]
Downloaded 556 times

Post #75 Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:37 am 
Lives in gote

I got sidetracked a lot; some of it good, like reviewing 2 games with a 7k which ate about half an hour, and some of it bad. The point being it's 5:36 and I still haven't done two things and I don't think I will get to.

*Did Intermediate problems #192-207
*Did Get Strong at Tesuji problems #103-144
*Did Get Strong at Invading problems # 34- 42
* Watched Bat's Lecture Series 03/06/13 - What to do in Mid-Game
*Watched Shusaku review #12 (vs. Ito Showa) by tokinonagare27
*Read Direction of play chapter 5 to diagram 8

I'm also archiving this convo:

Quote:
lemons: i bought an ebook about shuei on impulse yesterday
lemons: apparently all go players were hobos in 1800-1900
Kheldragar: Sounds about right
lemons: game commentary is too advanced for me
Kheldragar: I went through like 13 invincible games
Kheldragar: With commentary
Kheldragar: Not for me right now
lemons: i heard invincible is tough too
lemons: but theres a guy who did like 30 videos
lemons: going over games with commentary
Kheldragar: Oh the chinese guy
lemons: no
Kheldragar: Yeah his accent is a bit harsh
lemons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcqIc2XY-Tw
lemons: i watched a bunch of these
lemons: dont think i learned anything but its a good way to fall asleep
Kheldragar: Who is this guy
lemons: hes 2-3 dan i think
Kheldragar: I mean in name
lemons: here on kgs
lemons: rjm
Kheldragar: Never heard of him
Kheldragar: Also he budy listed himself like me
lemons: i do that too
Kheldragar: Game #12
Kheldragar: Is like
Kheldragar: The best out of invincible
Kheldragar: And by the best I mean I think white gets the 19 point trick play
Kheldragar: In the centre of the board
lemons: 2 hour video for that one
Kheldragar: I'm going to go over that one
lemons: im pretty sure i watched this one but i dont remember anything
Kheldragar: In his video
Kheldragar: Fuck man I have detritus to do
Kheldragar: And you make me
Kheldragar: Watch these videos
Kheldragar: I have to finish my batt video, find a lee changho game, AND go over diagrams in my books and it's only 02:00
Kheldragar: aaaghahgghghh
lemons: youre doing this go thing fairly hardcore
lemons: did you make a bet or something
Kheldragar: Is he
Kheldragar: really named
Kheldragar: 時の流れ
Kheldragar: I like it but it's cheesy
Kheldragar: Also I'm not really doing this hardcore
Kheldragar: If I was I would've started studying when I woke up
Kheldragar: But no I woke up at noon and played SWTOR for like 7 hours
Kheldragar: And then started stuying at 19:00
lemons: well relatively speaking
Kheldragar: I wish I had the will to wake up and start studying and never stop with distractions
lemons: good way to burn out
Kheldragar: But no, I'll do something for 10 minutes then go off for like 5-10 and then go back
lemons: i did for chess
Kheldragar: Someone actually contacted me yesterday on kgs about my study journal
Kheldragar: And said it seemed like I had a passion for go and he wanted to play me
Kheldragar: I have no passion; I just do thing
lemons: your journal is super boring tbh
Kheldragar: It's not supposed to be entertaining
Kheldragar: I don't get why people even care
Kheldragar: I just write what I do for the day
Kheldragar: and that's for me to stay on track
lemons: i read bunch of those journals
lemons: its fairly funny
lemons: like all those people below dan ranks
lemons: have gone over like 20 go problem books multiple times
lemons: just play some games man

e: detrius :lol:

Post #76 Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:03 am 
Gosei

xD I think everybody buddy-lists himself so you can check your played games or rank

Post #77 Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:27 am 
Lives in gote

Knowing he had to overcome a 65 point advantage, of course he had to try and kill me everywhere. I can't outfight a 7d and I can't out-endgame a 7d. Halfway through the endgame when I was trying really hard, I just realised that I had to out-endgame someone like that. Besides that, I thought my "sente" move to capture some stones would've given me more eye shape and after that I would invade the 3-3; I didn't invade the 3-3 at first because I figured he'd pick the variation that ends with him getting sente. I actually ended up remembering that variation wrongly and realise he couldn't afford to tenuki at the tenukiable point. I was really concerned for that group. But nope, he took the 3-3 spot and, well, I somehow won by 7 points. I think he blunded in the endgame when he let 3 stones get cut to slightly reduce my points.

Attachments:
kagami-Kheldragar.sgf [4.16 KiB]
Downloaded 514 times

Post #78 Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:51 am 
Lives in gote

That game took a lot out of me, so I'm going to sleep now.

*Did Intermediate problems #208-221
*Did Elementary problems #1-50
*Did Get Strong at Tesuji problems #145-198
*Did Get Strong at Invading problems # 43-54
*Watched Shusaku review #15 (vs. Gennan Inseki, Ear Reddening Game)

Post #79 Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:19 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 253
Was liked: 105
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$cm15
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . 0 . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9 . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . 7 . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . O . . . . . 6 . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . X X . . . . . 3 . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . 5 4 . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . 1 2 . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . O . . . . . X . . . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

It seemed like :b15: was a greedy mistake but it seems not easy to answer. This is my tentative thought.

Post #80 Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:19 am 
Lives in gote

I should take a break or something and only do a few tsumego a day for a bit.

*Did Intermediate problems #222-229
*Did Get Strong at Tesuji problems #199-216

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next