It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: My week in numbers (was "Tiny steps towards shodan")
Post #181 Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:42 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 124
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
RBerenguel wrote:
My NGA game was on Friday, and I saw a remarkable improvement of play (Namii also pointed this.) I was making reasonable plans and ploys and played a decent fuseki (or at least got no fast remarks on IRC about my fuseki, the full review is still not ready.) I can trace at least 2 moments to my Anki training. Soon before ending the fuseki and getting into real middle game, my opponent had a cut, one I may have overlooked before, seeing it as unplayable or just simply being oblivious to it. I had been pincered, instinctively jumped and the next move I focused on the cut, instantly saw the possibility of playing an angle play to cut, then read the cut and saw it worked, so cut there. In the past, I may have ignored the cut, or just cut, not check several local interesting options (if you know what I mean.)

But a Spanish saying goes "Una flor no hace primavera" (Just a flower does not mean it's already spring) so I still quite a lot more games where I feel "decent" to be able to know I have improved.

I would like to see this cut.

Post #182 Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:32 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Black to play and cut. Straightforward enough. Before playing the cut though I did a forcing sequence on the right-center (hence the numbers there) so I wouldn't need to worry that much about that group. Not so long ago I would have missed the opportunity and just focused on making the group live and nothing else.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 15.27.36.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 15.27.36.jpg [ 88.4 KiB | Viewed 9154 times ]

Post #183 Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:41 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
RBerenguel wrote:
SoDesuNe wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:
I know amateurs shouldn't check his games and yadda yadda, [...]

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

:D Haven't you heard this one before? "Don't study Go Seigen's games because they make no sense"

No, never heard it ^^

Post #184 Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:59 pm 
Gosei

Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Can't find a quote source now, but I've seen it several times in different places... Anyway, ignoring it ;)

Post #185 Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:47 pm 
Gosei

This week:

• Played no games (aside from NGA)
  • "20 hours"-19hours for Cho-1: ~60 minutes (real time for 30-day period:
  • 143-136 for LCH-1: 7 minutes
    Total: 67' (1h 7 min)

Also replayed 4 more Go Seigen games on a real goban.

Daily review times are still shrinking, but this week I had a severe case of "who cares" mixed with being extremely tired. So, I was doing my reviews late or not doing them at all, in fact, the past 4 days I have done no reviews. Still, the review counts are low and I can catch up just today, summing all my decks (go and non-go) I have barely 120 cards to study today.

This week I played 3 NGA games, losing one of them. I feel I played pretty well in all of them, I felt a sharpness and sense of knowing what I'm doing that I was usually lacking. Maybe Namii is right and the Ironman training worked.

But made the mother of all game-losing blunders in the one I lost. Had gone for a moyo game (well, kept options open and it kind of appeared) while chasing an eyeless group of my opponent. Had a cutting sequence read out, cut, and then realised I was just short of a liberty after playing it out, so I saw my cutting "lump" as dead, moyo disappears and I had "no points" (didn't really estimate and I don't want to look at the game right now, but it was probably 30 down not counting dead cutting piece). Read it several times, no way, it's just dead. Resigned (this was just move 130 or so, but I essentially had most of the points in the wannabe-moyo and some in corner or sides, but my opponent had solid sides and corners, no way to attack them or invade any more, actually, to chase better this group I had attacked another close, weak group to cut escape possibilities). Just after resigning my opponent shows me how my cutting lump actually could totally cut his own group (because it had 1 liberty more than a close-by escaping lump of his,) thus granting me the center, thickness and a good deal of captured stones. Still kicking myself after this, because the game felt pretty good except for this.

I could blame tiredness (it was the second NGA game on Friday afternoon after a long day of work) but I can't: it was a very easy sequence. I had done more complex stuff during the game, and missing this one feels like missing killing a bulky five.

Post subject:
Post #186 Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:14 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi RB, what is NGA and what was the time control ?

Post subject: Re:
Post #187 Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:37 pm 
Gosei

EdLee wrote:
Hi RB, what is NGA and what was the time control ?

Hi Ed, NGA is the Nordic Go Academy, of which I'm a student (for the past 2 years or so) and PR helper (for the past 3 months.) You can find more info on "their" post on teacher advertising forum.

Time settings for NGA games is minimum 30 min+5x30" byoyomi. If players agree, time can be larger. Games (except for games which are part of the tournament we play in) are even games with nigiri, for the tournament, reverse komi is used. I usually play at this pace, though, only occasionally when playing someone who usually has a lot of time trouble I may add some time to his clock/play with larger settings. Problem is, I make a lot of stupid moves during the beginning of the game, I have a lot of trouble focusing (i.e. taking my time to decide where to move, and avoid switching windows) until the game gets somewhat heated up (and usually, by then, my unfocused opening has left me already 20 points down.)

Post subject:
Post #188 Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:03 am 
Honinbo

RBerenguel wrote:
and avoid switching windows
Thanks, RB, for the info. You mean it's an online tourney ?

Have you tried longer time controls for yourself ? More than 60 minutes initial time (the US Open is 90 minutes initial time, at least),
or an average of more than 90 seconds per move (for example, Canadian 30 minutes per 20 moves, or slower) ?

Post #189 Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:12 am 
Gosei

EdLee wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:
and avoid switching windows
Thanks, RB, for the info. You mean it's an online tourney ?

Have you tried longer time controls for yourself ? More than 60 minutes initial time (the US Open is 90 minutes initial time, at least),
or an average of more than 90 seconds per move (for example, Canadian 30 minutes per 20 moves, or slower) ?

Yes, it's online, part of the monthly competition we have. Longest time setting I have ever played (IIRC) is 60 minutes at the Barcelona tournament. I don't think I could bear this amount of time, online. In real life it is somewhat awkward to take out my iPad and start working/reading from my pending list, but online "no-one is watching except yourself," so if I'm pressed from work or I remember all the stuff I have pending to read (and my opponent is slow) I too easily change windows and do something else until I heard the stone sound from their move. Usually by move 80 or 90 I am back to the game (more or less) but the first 30 moves or so are quite "out"

Post subject:
Post #190 Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:35 am 
Honinbo

RBerenguel wrote:
I too easily change windows and do something else
See also recent thread about discipline.

When I play my serious games online, I always set a slowish time control.
I sit on the floor, cross legged. My physical Go set is in front of me (table board propped up to floor-board height).
I relay my moves and my opponent's on the nearby computer,
but otherwise, 99% of the time I'm looking at the physical board, just like I'm playing face to face.
No difference.

Discipline is in your mind. :)

Post #191 Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:07 am 
Gosei

My spectrum of concentration/focus/discipline is very varied. I can as easily log a 10+ hour programming/research binge as I can sit in the sofa and read through all my pending stuff while watching TV. I don't think I'm worse when playing go, it's just that it is easily magnified: a slack move caught by the opponent can easily mean loss. Actually, yesterday's win should probably have been a loss. I carelessly played a gote move (I was unfocused and my neighbour's relative and his kid were playing with a soccer ball just beside my window... lovely small town issues) while entering late middle game, luckily my opponent played a gote of his own and I kept sente. But it could have easily turned a relatively easy win (+15 with sente) to a loss.

I actually like this idea of relaying moves to the board, I have to try it (except for the cross-legged part, my right knee can't bear it for long enough.) I'll try in my next game!

Post subject:
Post #192 Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:11 am 
Honinbo

RBerenguel wrote:
a slack move caught by the opponent can easily mean loss.
Yes. It's one common element Go shares with things like F1 racing, speed skiing, golf, etc.:
very high precision, very low tolerance for mistakes.
RBerenguel wrote:
except for the cross-legged part
Entirely personal. You can have your set and computer on a table and sit normally in a chair.

I forget how long I've been playing my serious online games like this...
maybe since 2007 or 2008 ? Earlier ? I hope I wrote it down in the SGF's... :)

Post #193 Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:54 am 
Gosei

EdLee wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:
a slack move caught by the opponent can easily mean loss.
Yes. It's one common element Go shares with things like F1 racing, speed skiing, golf, etc.:
very high precision, very low tolerance for mistakes.
RBerenguel wrote:
except for the cross-legged part
Entirely personal. You can have your set and computer on a table and sit normally in a chair.

I forget how long I've been playing my serious online games like this...
maybe since 2007 or 2008 ? Earlier ? I hope I wrote it down in the SGF's... :)

xD I guess I can add some funky UTF character as a comment after greeting my opponent, something like ⌹ for "playing on goban" (this one is quick to generate for me because it's an APL character and I have a quick command to switch keyboard layout from ES.ES to APL+ES (which is a personal modification on normal APL.) It's technically known as "domino," but it has lines and dots...

Post #194 Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:43 am 
Gosei

A little late weekly post (I was away without connection.) I took a screenshot on my iPad so I could update the numbers, but somehow the numbers for LCH don't make any sense.

This week:

• Played no games (aside from NGA)
  • "21 hours"-20hours for Cho-1: ~60 minutes
  • ¿¿?? for LCH-1: ~10 minutes
    Total: ~70' (1h 10 min)

I have also added a new deck, where I'm adding data when I have enough time: Corner and side shapes. I'm using Sensei's to create the cards, and you can get it from here.

It's still a work in progress, though (I have only added the L and L+1 groups so far.) The idea is to have in a question-answer format all the basic corner shapes (L, J, tripod, not sure yet about carpenter square, others) and most common side shapes (6 die, 7 depends, 8 live, etc.) The questions are usually "status," (where the answer is a word AND one or two diagrams) and how to kill/live in case of a mistake from the opponent.

I'm also working on a personal deck (for now.) Since my fuseki direction is lacking, I'm trying an exercise lately with the pro games I'm replaying. At move 5 I think of the next move, direction wise. Then I assign myself a score depending on move frequency in GOGOD (A is best, as in most frequent, then goes down until X which is total failure) I do this with 5-6 moves or so, avoiding common josekis (so, if an answer is a tsuke-hiki, only the tsuke counts.) Then I assign a numeric score (A=1, B=2, etc) and average over the number of moves.

If I get something worse than E or G, I create a card, similar to this:
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-07-01 at 19.40.29.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-07-01 at 19.40.29.jpg [ 101.97 KiB | Viewed 8850 times ]

For now, I don't think too much of the reasoning behind why this approach and not another (as long as some pro has played some other approach, I don't think it's even a question I can ponder,) but try to at least grasp the correct direction, which for me is very lacking currently. If there is some interest, I can also share this deck.

Post #195 Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:41 am 
Gosei

This week I'll put times for all my go-related decks.

• Played 4 blitz (2-2)
  • (visually checked bars for past 7 days in graph) for Cho-1: ~47 minutes
  • (idem) for LCH-1: ~7 minutes
  • DBT: ~9 minutes
  • Basic Corner Shapes: ~30 minutes
  • Go-From reviews: ~24 minutes
  • Go "proverbs": 3 minutes
  • OTME: ~6 minutes
  • "Pro fuseki": ~10 minutes
  • Cho-2: 7 minutes
Total: ~143' (2h 23 min)

Also replayed 8 pro games (keeping up from the 80s and last game from Honinbo), which made up part of my "Pro fuseki" deck.

Outside Anki stuff, I skimmed over Easy Learn Joseki looking for a joseki and quickly checked many BGJ issues for interesting stuff. Still wondering if I should use the very interesting material about carpenter square that is there for Basic Corner Shapes (basically because the CS is not "basic" at all.)

And read quite a bit of stuff about improvement, psychology, deliberate practice and etc, I had already been doing it for a while and Knotwilg's post has strengthened it somewhat.

Post #196 Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:31 pm 
Gosei

Ready for the Nordic Go Academy Summer Camp! My next posts quite likely will deal with it, so probably my "numbers of the week" will be delayed for a while (the daily tsumego and lessons will have precedence over Anki)

Post #197 Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:22 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 124
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
Take pictures while you're there. :salute:

This post by Abyssinica was liked by 2 people: ez4u, RBerenguel

Post #198 Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:06 pm 
Gosei

Abyssinica wrote:
Take pictures while you're there. :salute:

Sure I will!

Post #199 Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:28 am 
Gosei

Okay, been here in Finland for the past three days already. First day, arrival, eating something at the airport and picking up two fellow campgoers (Desirée coming from Austria and Nick coming from Canada, via Copenhagen.) Then we took a couple buses until Juri's place were we relaxed (no go, even if given the opportunity) getting to know us and watch some movie. Later in the day Lukas joined us, and we kept the talking until quite late in the night (accompanied by a few chapters of the Mahjong equivalent of Hikaru no Go, a series called Akagi, we had quite the laugh there.) After sleeping just a few hours, wake up, shower and another couple of buses until the camp area. We got to see the awesomely remodelated sauna building. So awesome we are (almost) spending more time in that building than in the main building.

On Saturday we had no official teaching or games. I sneaked a couple of friendly games, playing with a Finnish quasi-begginer (he has been playing for 3 months and he already plays quite well, specially given the fact that he doesn't play that much online) and later in the afternoon I played Johannes, a fellow NGA member in real life for the first time (he crushed me :D) Also we got to inaugurate the NGA sauna season :D We were given our tsumego assigment, and early to bed (I was feeling rather tired already.)

Today, first lesson (I attended Juri's shape session, even if aimed for somewhat lower than my rank) and game (I played fellow NGA student Roel, he's from Belgium.) It wasn't a brilliant game from either side, but he made the largest mistake and had to resign. In the afternoon we visited the local "go shop" (actually, you order stuff and go pick it there, but we could take a look at the place) and I purchased a gorgeous 9x9 board with legs and bowls. Then I found out that the maker of my beautiful 19x19 board is the same guy. Neat, now I have a set :D

After dinner (we had shepherds pie for dinner today,) some sauna, tsumego turn in (I turned in most of B and all of C tsumego... B are quite a bit hard and C are quite a bit too easy) and now some people play go, some mahjong and some more (specially the German duet) are about to go watch the World Cup match.

More news soon!

Post #200 Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:50 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Sounds really cool! Maybe I have the chance to join someday (next year?) =)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next