It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Working through the kyus! (Easier said than done)
Post #1 Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:20 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 143
Was liked: 218
Universal go server handle: moyoaji
Original Title: To 5 kyu in 5 months! (We'll see about that)

I want to get stronger. (Don't we all?) In particular, I want to go from being high SDK to low SDK. (And then get to 1 dan, right?) The reason I'm picking 5 kyu is that I need to reach low SDK before I get to shodan. ("Shodan!" because calling it "1 dan" is just too hard.) 5 months is because there are only about 5 months left in 2013. (Yeah, that's why you picked 5...)

I have been sitting in the high SDK range now for a few months. (So you aren't improving?) Basically, I've been 9 kyu since March. (Three months then? That's not that long.) While it's nice to be able to say I'm SDK, I do want be moving forward. (Of course you do...)

How might this happen? (You could apply yourself.) It will happen with genuine study! (Was this not obvious to you before?) I've never really set up a study regiment before, I've only just studied when I felt like it. (You've got some sort of list coming up, don't you?)

Every week I will: (Of course...)

1. Play go - at least averaging one game a day on the KGS and still regularly attending my local go club (So, about 10 games a week then?)
2. Study from a go book - at least one chapter OR Watch two hour long go lectures on YouTube (Bringing in outside information is always helpful)
3. Do go problems - at least 5 per day, making sure they are around my skill level (I guess that couldn't hurt.)
4. Review games - at least one of my own and one professional game (You're only a 9 kyu, how could you possibly expect to understand a pro game?!)
5. Post here with what I have done and what I have learned (Like people want to hear about that...)

Today was the first day of this. (And, how did it go?)

I played 4 matches with a friend of mine on the KGS. (Four matches? That's actually pretty good for the first day.) I watched a YouTube lecture on the 4-4 double approach. (That could be useful, and I'm glad you didn't use "kakari") I did about two dozen go problems. (You realize with your rules doing 30 today doesn't mean you get to do less tomorrow, right?) And, well, I posted it here. (And everyone thanks you for that... :salute:)

So far, so good. (You'll quit in two days, but hey, maybe you'll remember something from that double approach video.)

At some point I'll actually post more specifics about what I'm learning so that others of a similar rank can see what I've found out. (Wait now, that could actually be useful! Why aren't you posting that instead of this stuff?!)

Wish me luck! (Get back here and teach us about double kakaris!)

Progress so far
9 kyu on May 9, 2013
8 kyu on June 20, 2013
7 kyu on July 11, 2013
6 kyu on August 2, 2013
5 kyu on October 13, 2013

Progress complete! So now I'm working toward 1 dan!

-Kageyama Toshiro on proper moves

Last edited by moyoaji on Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:49 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: To 5 kyu in 5 months! (We'll see about that)
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:09 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 148
Was liked: 29
KGS: thirdfogie
Good luck. I like your internal critic. Can mine join in?

Even if you forget June, July to December is a full 6 months. (Kids today!)

But perhaps you wrote off December because of all the business of Christmas. :D

Post #3 Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:29 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 16
KGS: lowlykyu
DGS: cornucopia
OGS: cornucopia
Good luck, I hope you achieve your goal!

Post #4 Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:45 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 28
KGS: Vladimir
Hi, mate.

Good luck with your study program.
I think it's very achievable.
Just persist on playing, tsumego, reviews and books and you'll be there in no time.
Much faster then me, for sure.

Cheers

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:20 am 
Lives in sente

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

I have continued my studies and yesterday I had a come-from-behind win on the KGS after my opponent misread what he thought was a ko-threat. (So he countered the big mistakes you made earlier with an even bigger one of his own. You're improving so much...) I also won the game I played at the club. (Only one game?) I could have played more go, but one of the members wanted me to teach him shogi. (Fair enough, but what about that double approach stuff you promised?)

So a bit about that double approach lecture. (Finally!) I really wanted to know that because I play a lot of handicap games at my go club. (How many stones do they have to give you?) I will often play the double approach if my opponent ignores the first. (You're the one playing the double approach? But that would mean your white...) I sometimes feel it's the only way I can start to get traction in a game without any corners or sides open -- everyone in the club currently has at least 8 stones against me. ( :shock: ). I know the double approach is good, but I was rarely sure how to follow it up. (And how do you follow it up?) The video showed the most common responses - 3-3, 5-5, and attaching. (And how do you respond to each of those?) My typical response to the 5-5 is to dive at the 3-3, which is apparently correct. (Okay.) However, my response to the 3-3 is to play the 5-5 and that is wrong. Your stones are too thin to seal black in that directly. (Good to know.) And then it explained a lot about the attachment josekis. More than that, it showed why they were played that way. (Okay, if you are going to be non-specific about those just give the link...) If anyone's interested, they can watch the lecture here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFNeOktyGuw (Thanks :geek:)

I did miss my go problem studies yesterday, but I did a lot on Monday so I figured that was fine. (That wasn't how your rules were set up...) Today I'm going to study more from the Second Book of Go. (Isn't that book for beginners?) I've never finished it and I feel I should make sure I know all the basics if I'm going to reach high SDK. (Do what you want. I'm going to go watch that video...)

thirdfogie wrote:
Even if you forget June, July to December is a full 6 months. (Kids today!)

But perhaps you wrote off December because of all the business of Christmas. :D

Well, I did say "about" 5 months :). (Or you subtracted 7 from 12 and thought July meant 5 months left in the year...)

This post by moyoaji was liked by: Unusedname

Post #6 Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:58 am 
Lives in sente

I have now advanced to 8 kyu. (Oh, but please tell them how it happened! :lol:)

I've had a winning streak recently and so my rank has been rising. I had a feeling I was a win or two away from reaching 8k. (So, you were playing a game and...) In a game against a 7 kyu player I was playing out the end of a losing game. (Don't let him convince you otherwise: it wasn't even close) I had failed to invade his territory and was simply playing out yose to get the final score. (He hadn't realized how badly he was losing) Then, my opponent made a mistake that cost him about 30 points - a connect and die situation where he could have saved about 15 stones if he'd only sacrificed 3. When I made the big capture my opponent resigned. (Another brilliant "come from behind victory") However, even after that, I was still losing by about 12 points and there was only the last few yose moves left... Playing out the game afterwards and giving myself the best yose possible I still lost by 5.5 points.

(And so moyoaji, the "great" SDK go player, advanced to 8 kyu when his opponent resigned a won game! Who had their money on that one?)

Immediately after that, I played another game. I wanted to know if I really deserved to be 8 kyu - after all, a loss should have brought me straight back to 9 kyu. (This part's boring, they don't want to hear it...) The game was against an 8 kyu player and I won by his resignation - this time when I was genuinely far enough ahead to deserve it. (Okay, but in two games you could fall back down to 9 kyu. Isn't this a little presumptuous?)

After that, I saw that I was finally online at the same time as Vladimir (vpopvic) so I got to play a game against him. (The guy you lost to twice a couple months ago?) It took a lot of effort, and he again managed to kill one of my groups that I thought was safe, but I was able to win that game in the end. ( :geek: Congratulations...) We didn't have time to review much afterward, but hopefully he and I can play more games in the future. I think he can teach me a lot about life and death. (You mean because he keeps killing your stuff. ;-))

With those wins I feel confident that I can call myself an 8 kyu player. (Don't get too full of yourself now. You still have three ranks to go before 5 kyu. :-|) My goal of getting to low SDK is only beginning, but at least I've made progress for the first time in months. (And hopefully you won't crash back to 11 kyu like you did in April...)

Post #7 Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:36 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
So are either of you going to post the game?

Post #8 Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:50 am 
Lives in sente

skydyr wrote:
So are either of you going to post the game?

Oh, right. I should probably do that. (No kidding...) Here it is:

Post #9 Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:53 pm 
Lives with ko

3 huge mistakes in this game (and by that I mean huge huge, probably around 100 smaller ones :) ), 1 by moyoaji and 2 by me.
First, he let me kill his living corner and then I let him breach through my middle wall and afterwards to cut my middle group and kill it.
I can't wait for our next match. This can turn out very good for both of us.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:54 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Some comments (hidden because they are long):
Move 4/5: This is quite playable by white. However, black can tenuki without any loss. If black takes the open corner, it is as if :b3: took that corner, :w4: was a 5-4 point in the lower right, and :b5: was a standard approach to it. This is fine by black, and puts the burden on white to show that he knows what to do with a 5-4 stone (which is something everyone should learn at some point anyways).

Move 13: Up to this point, everything seems fine. Black's move is a bit slow however. Black's corner group is already stable, so the biggest point on the board is probably to prevent some sort of enclosure of the top left by white.

Move 16: White could consider playing something like D6 instead.

Move 17: I don't like this move. By playing K17 and R10 on the third line, black is going for territory over influence, but now, black is playing a pure influence move. It's a bit farther from the supporting stones on the side than one would like. I think I would prefer something like C6, before white can make that side stronger, but I am not certain. Black feels a bit behind to me on account of :b13:.

Move 18: Black should be happy with this move, since white is developing this area on a smaller scale than black.

Move 19: Black can just make a one space jump, which is more secure and works better with the tengen and hoshi stones.

Move 20: Seems tough but okay.

Move 23: The kick is good, because it makes white heavier. Black should play this move one space closer though (a one space jump) to limit aji while maintaining the attack on white.

Move 24: M17 can be had in sente right now, since it threatens to connect under. White can also consider attaching at Q15 because black jumped too far.

Move 25: If white just connects, does this stone help black? Does it hurt black?

Move 26: By playing this before the side group is safe, white is saying he wants to sacrifice the side group.

Move 38: This is possible because black made the keima earlier.

Move 45: That peep earlier doesn't look so useful now, does it?

Move 60: I think white needs another move to live on the right. Apart from that, this move is good.

Move 61: Ignoring the unsettled group on the right, at this point, white will be quite ahead if he can consolidate a lot of the left half of the board with a few moves. This move by black helps him do that in exchange for a couple points. Doesn't something like E11 or D10 look so much bigger?

Move 65: Up to this point, black could sacrifice those two stones to expand his center and limit white's.

Move 67: It's dead, Jim.

Move 84 and around there: This looks like throwing good stones after bad. White's already dead and doesn't have that much aji at the moment. A push at M12 looks fun, though.

Move 115: This isn't sente.

Move 121: Black has enough solid points that he can win with modest reduction of white's potential. This move seems kind of slow, though. Black has a nice sequence starting with L5 atari, and he doesn't need to connect right away because white's more central stones can run short on liberties. Black can also jump to cap at E11 or shoulder hit at D10 still.

Move 127: Black should just capture and white can't prevent black from connecting.

Move 141: Penny wise and pound foolish. Black needs to live in the center somehow since he was cut off. This sequence is gote and not that big anyways. White should follow up by attacking the center strongly instead of responding. When black takes gote at move 145, white should again attack instead of capturing two stones that are already dead.

Move 147: Bad shape. Just descend.

Move 187: After all this wild fighting, black can just capture white with F8.

Post #11 Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:17 pm 
Lives with ko

Thank you, Skydyr. Except from the last one, I think your comments are hitting the target.
But, what would I like to know is why I didn't capture at 127. I didn't even see it was atari. This is simply unexplainable to me. I remember well, I haven't even consider it was a capture but something like "if I play there, I'll be in atari"...
Still looooong way for me to play quality go...

This post by vpopovic was liked by: vpnsctl

Post #12 Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:32 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
vpopovic wrote:
Thank you, Skydyr. Except from the last one, I think your comments are hitting the target.

Why "except from the last one"?

Post #13 Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:37 pm 
Lives with ko

Once again, I'm wrong. And not only wrong but persistant in that :)
Sorry for that. Of course, comment on 187 is completely valid, it's my reading which is invalid.

Post #14 Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:51 pm 
Lives in sente

Thank you very much, skydyr. I'll also hide mine as my comments on your comments are pretty long. (Yeah, but skydyr's were actually useful.)
skydyr wrote:
Move 4/5: This is quite playable by white. However, black can tenuki without any loss. If black takes the open corner, it is as if :b3: took that corner, :w4: was a 5-4 point in the lower right, and :b5: was a standard approach to it. This is fine by black, and puts the burden on white to show that he knows what to do with a 5-4 stone (which is something everyone should learn at some point anyways).

I played this because I know 5-4 josekis, actually. I feel very comfortable with them and typically like them for the one who gets the outside. I feel it would have been good for my hoshi stone to build the bottom of I got a nice result. (He saw this approach move in a pro game and is copying it... but yeah, he knows some 5-4 josekis)

skydyr wrote:
Move 13: Up to this point, everything seems fine. Black's move is a bit slow however. Black's corner group is already stable, so the biggest point on the board is probably to prevent some sort of enclosure of the top left by white.

I'm glad both our openings meet your approval. I felt really good about both of our plays to this point as well. (I could have done better. :ugeek:)

skydyr wrote:
Move 16: White could consider playing something like D6 instead.

I thought the K17 stone was aiming at the top corner, so I played there. However, it was a low stone so I probably didn't need to worry.

skydyr wrote:
Move 20: Seems tough but okay.

This was my follow up to move 18. I wanted to attack the K17 stone and the corner at the same time. I felt the keima was loose enough to still allow it. (Or he was so stubborn that he didn't care if Vladimir had made his K17 stone stronger...)

skydyr wrote:
Move 24: M17 can be had in sente right now, since it threatens to connect under. White can also consider attaching at Q15 because black jumped too far.

I did this move because it is a ladder breaker for move 38. Does that make it any better? (So he tried to be clever and didn't see the obviously good moves...)

skydyr wrote:
Move 67: It's dead, Jim.

Yep. I've gone over that sequence over and over in my mind. It was always dead after that move... (Well said, skydyr! :lol:)

skydyr wrote:
Move 84 and around there: This looks like throwing good stones after bad. White's already dead and doesn't have that much aji at the moment. A push at M12 looks fun, though.

I just wanted to make a mess before pushing at M12. It ended up working, but I guess Vladimir could have tenukied from several of my moves. (moyoaji thinks he's good because he can get his opponents to give him free stones in their territory and then use it to break through their walls. You wouldn't fall for that, would you skydyr?)

skydyr wrote:
Move 115: This isn't sente.

It looked scary enough. I was worried about my group there running out of liberties after the cut. Yeah, I probably would have been fine, but in the heat of the match I didn't want to take any chances. (So he was too lazy to read the fight out and see that his group still had enough liberties.)

skydyr wrote:
Move 121: Black has enough solid points that he can win with modest reduction of white's potential. This move seems kind of slow, though. Black has a nice sequence starting with L5 atari, and he doesn't need to connect right away because white's more central stones can run short on liberties. Black can also jump to cap at E11 or shoulder hit at D10 still.

That L5 atari was freaking me out for a while. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I made that bamboo joint at 134. For a few points I should have fixed that. (He was on such a high that his cut had worked that he lost track of the rest of the board, clearly.)

skydyr wrote:
Move 141: Penny wise and pound foolish. Black needs to live in the center somehow since he was cut off. This sequence is gote and not that big anyways. White should follow up by attacking the center strongly instead of responding. When black takes gote at move 145, white should again attack instead of capturing two stones that are already dead.

I feared for my group on the top, but looking at it again after the game you are right. I had nothing to fear. (Why can't I be skydyr's internal critic? He actually knows what he's doing...)

skydyr wrote:
Move 187: After all this wild fighting, black can just capture white with F8.

Wow, I can't believe we didn't see that... ( :shock: You're a genius, skydyr.)

Post #15 Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:11 am 
Lives with ko

Tough one again. Sorry for leaving review, connection broke and I couldn't load it again.

Post #16 Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:18 am 
Lives in sente

vpopovic wrote:
Tough one again. Sorry for leaving review, connection broke and I couldn't load it again.

That's alright. I think we covered most of the major points. The only other big things were the death of the center group and that exchange on the bottom, but we both read those a lot so I think we both understand what happened there pretty well. Other than that it was yose. Hope you were able to get some tips out of the review that you can use in our next game. :)

Here's our game for reference.

Post #17 Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:57 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Hmm, could I get some thoughts on :b11:? It looks a bit slow to me and I'm wondering if I'm wrong. I'd have played C14 there I think and not have been bothered by an approach to the top right if it came.

Post #18 Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:21 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 114
Boidhre wrote:
Hmm, could I get some thoughts on :b11:? It looks a bit slow to me and I'm wondering if I'm wrong. I'd have played C14 there I think and not have been bothered by an approach to the top right if it came.

Black's previous move at P12 is probably a little questionable, I think it's building a bad shape near the corner that makes white's 3-3 a little annoying - the two stones are so near that black will be overconcentrated either way he blocks.

I agree that the top left is the biggest area. Actually, in this shape professionals usually play there straight away (C15 and D15 are both popular) instead of answering white's wedge on the side, though doing so is surely playable.

As for b11 itself, I guess the question is whether it turns the entire top right corner into territory. If it does, it's probably not too bad and might somewhat mitigate black's previous overconcentration. However, I think it probably doesn't, there's still a lot of room for white to live in the corner or reduce strongly, particularly if he gets any more nearby stones.

Edit: Here's a professional game with the same shape, though it arises in arguably better style through a more forcing exchange. Black eventually just lets white live in the corner, but in a way that I think would certainly be overconcentrated in the game under discussion.

This post by amnal was liked by: Boidhre

Post #19 Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:58 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 61
Was liked: 250
Boidhre wrote:

All of the marked moves look good to me. Of course they lead to different games, but if any of them are significantly better than the others, the difference is beyond my pay grade.

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$ Good moves for B
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . . . . . B . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . , . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . B B . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . B . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . X . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , O . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . O . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . , . . . . . , X . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

This post by mitsun was liked by: Boidhre

Post #20 Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:10 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
mitsun wrote:
Boidhre wrote:

All of the marked moves look good to me. Of course they lead to different games, but if any of them are significantly better than the others, the difference is beyond my pay grade.

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$ Good moves for B?
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . O . . . . . C . . . # . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . , . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . B B . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . X . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , O . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . O . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . , . . . . . , X . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

:bs: ( :b11: in the game) looks significantly worse to me than the others. Black is overcrowded in the top right corner. It is a single purpose move, and does not gain much by comparison with regular moves in the opening. (Note the lack of a White stone at :ec:.)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next