It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 96  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kirby's Study Journal
Post #801 Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:57 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
aiichigo wrote:
The value of a weak group, can easily be calculated, if the opponent can kill it on their next move, then the size of saving the weak group is known. So it is possible to know when saving a weak group is the biggest move on the board, or when there are bigger moves.

Actually, I guess we don't agree on all of the points you mentioned. The value of a weak group is not always easily calculated as you suggest.

Just because an opponent cannot kill the group on the next move doesn't mean that it's not a good idea to strengthen it in some way. An opponent can play forcing moves by attacking, and get profit in other areas on the board. This is not always easy to calculate.

Maybe the opponent can make 10 points by attacking your weak group. Maybe 15.

I don't believe you if you're saying that you always know how much this is worth.

Post #802 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:14 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 5
Kirby wrote:

I don't believe you if you're saying that you always know how much this is worth.

Always know? Not really, values tend to be estimates because exact counting is too time consuming, but if you see the possibility of your opponent using sente moves against a weak group to get something, you can read out some variations, and then you have a value for those moves, then if you see a way to play that both helps your group and removes that possibility, you know the value of that move. Then you can think about letting your opponent get what he wants, and playing elsewhere, maybe getting more than your opponent gets. You now have values for both options, you can make a decision based on solid information.

What if your reading was bad? Then the problem is in your reading, what mistake did you make? You review and improve.
What if your values were wrong? Then you examine to see what assumptions were made when you estimated, across many games you can compare and see if your estimation techniques are inaccurate, you can change and improve them.

Maybe the word 'easily' is the problem here, the way I see it is that there is nothing to stop any person from working out the value of a group. In my eyes this makes it easily calculable. Maybe for some people it would take a long time, someone with no knowledge of the game may take several years to get to a level where they could come up with this kind of analysis. For someone who has been playing long enough, then it may take a few minutes, for a pro, less than a minute.

And the quality of the responses will probably vary as well, with experience and strength.

This is the draw of go, the fact that it is not easy, it is a hard hard road, of effort, that many people find strange, because it isn't something that interests them, or worse something they actually hate doing.

Go isn't played easily, easily go isn't worth playing, though maybe everyone likes to sandbag now and again.

But it may not be easily now, but if I work hard and practice then what I see as hardily now becomes easily later.

There that's a good quote.

"With hard work and practice what is hardily now becomes easily later."

Post #803 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:43 am 
Honinbo

I agree it can be calculable, and you should make an effort each time. I think intuition is necessary sometimes, too. You do your best, and sometimes you're wrong.

Anyway, I often under-evaluate the value of attacking a weak group, and I'd like to be aware of this and fix it.

Is this that controversial?

Post #804 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:10 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
Kirby is on the point.
difference between strong and weak is that stronger player better evaluate thickness.
One can witness many professionals play move that appears slow and overconcentrated.
They play them because it is often worth one move.

having thickness will eventually yield points later.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #805 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:51 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
Quote:
The move above gives black a good move with the pincer

You're giving six handicap stones to somebody presumably at least six stones weaker than you. (So, about my rank or weaker.) Of course they can pincer it! You're supposed to be able to get a good position from when they err in the follow-up. Or something like that.

I'm in the middle of a handicap game (as Black) where I played what I thought was a standard joseki move. However, it turns out the move is dependent on having the ladder, and I didn't have the ladder in my favor. :oops: It doesn't help all that much to know joseki if you don't know why they play those moves. Or what to do after you get to the end of the joseki.

Post #806 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:06 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
Kirby wrote:
jeromie wrote:
What magazine do you get?

It's a Korean Go magazine - "Monthly Go" [1].

For those of us who only know the Hangul letters, but don't actually speak the language, who's the pro pictured? (Or is it not a pro?) I tried Shin Minchun and Shin Inwang, but an Internet search didn't yield anything.

And I know there's a reflection, but even discounting that, the angle of the photo makes his left arm look a heck of a lot bigger than the right arm, in a creepy way.

Post #807 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:29 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
Fedya wrote:
For those of us who only know the Hangul letters, but don't actually speak the language, who's the pro pictured? (Or is it not a pro?) I tried Shin Minchun and Shin Inwang, but an Internet search didn't yield anything.

And I know there's a reflection, but even discounting that, the angle of the photo makes his left arm look a heck of a lot bigger than the right arm, in a creepy way.

i think his name spells shin minjoon. He was first place on last rookie tournament. Yes he is not Hellboy.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #808 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:32 pm 
Honinbo

Here's an article on GoGameGuru from awhile back, talking about Shin Minjoon and Shin Jinseo.
https://gogameguru.com/prodigies-upset- ... -go-games/

Shin Jinseo has been doing a little bit better than Shin Minjoon IMO, but they are both pretty skilled.

Post #809 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:49 pm 
Honinbo

So, I haven't yet played a game this week, and it's already Wednesday. I'm slightly apprehensive, because I'm getting a little close to 2d on KGS. Historically, whenever that happens, I start on a losing streak, and sometimes go back down to 1k. Maybe it's psychological, but I can never seem to hold 2d rank.

There's like a magnetic force field around that rank that repels me back to the kyu ranks on KGS.

So today, I'll really try to do problems. I did some easier ones today, actually, but I'm having trouble with that Yilun Yang book. Maybe they are too hard for me right now. I recall chatting with Mark Lee (he won the US Open Master's a couple of years ago), and he recommended that I find go problems that I can solve in about 10 minutes at my current level. The ones in the Yilun Yang book are taking me way too long...

So I'll see what I can find today.

I keep putting this off, because I've been feeling slightly lazy for the past couple of days. I also haven't shaved since Monday. I should do that, too...

So, tentative plan for the today and tomorrow is:
1. Find a more suitable problem book.
2. Do problems from that book for the rest of the evening.
3. Shave.
4. Rest well so that I can play a game tomorrow. Try not to be repelled back to kyu ranks.
5. Watch the next game of the Ing Cup, which should be broadcast live on the AGA Youtube channel tomorrow.

Post #810 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:35 pm 
Honinbo

I changed my mind.

I decided to stick with the Yilun Yang book for two reasons:
1. Maybe the problems I'd done in the past (though it was awhile ago) were too easy. I looked through some of the problems I usually do, and they usually don't take me 10 minutes. Furthermore, Bill mentioned that learning happens when I have about 50% chance of getting the problem correct. It's painful, but maybe I do need to do more difficult problems.

2. I looked at the forward of the book, written by Yilun Yang. He described how he began his journey to create his own go puzzles:
Yilun Yang wrote:
In the beginning, even though it cost me almost all my free time, my progress was very slow. Sometimes, even after I had put in a lot of effort, and several days had passed, I had failed to create anything of value. Moreover, sometimes my thoughts went completely in the wrong direction, and all those efforts were wasted. However, this hard work has also brought me tremendous happiness. For each time I successfully created a new life-and-death puzzle, I felt as if I had won an important match and I immersed myself completely in that wonderful feeling.

How can I argue with that? If Yilun Yang had a hard time creating problems at first, experienced slow progress, but pushed through it, then why not try to do the same? Progress might be slow, but maybe I can experience the happiness that he experienced. Creating problems is much more difficult than solving them, but why not? Maybe the same idea applies.

So I did a few more of these problems. For better or for worse, I also got some problems incorrect. On one hand, I'm glad because of that idea that I should be having about 50% chance of success. On the other hand, maybe I should have tried harder on those problems. I had some confidence in my answer, but obviously overlooked important variations. I think I should aim to have fewer mistakes, but I guess it's OK that I made some mistakes. I'll try to make fewer next time.

Anyway, here are the ideas I had when going through the problems. Looking back, I only solved a few. Maybe I'll be able to solve more next time.

Puzzle 115: First instinct was N3. After M3, N4 effectively reduced white's eyespace. M2 is sente on the bottom, but it's no problem, because N5, while sente, doesn't create an eye for white on top. So far so good. I read this part correctly. But then I was concerned about white's N4 response to N3. Just pulling back at M3 doesn't work well, because white can O3 and have an eye both on top and bottom. I briefly thought about M2 after N3-N4, but thought that white could O3. I didn't see much coming from that, so I assumed that N3 didn't work. I tried N4 for the first move, but couldn't think of anything from that. O5 to start also didn't seem promising. After some time, I gave up on this problem. As it turns out, N3 was the correct answer, but I missed the correct variation for after N3-N4. O2 was the correct next move, but black could go under at N1 to make a ko. The solution was ko, and I didn't come up with that variation. I guess I have consolation in that some of the other variations listed in the solution, I had read out correctly. But since the ko variation didn't come up in my reading, I ultimately gave up.

Puzzle 116: I feel happy to say that I thoroughly solved this one. My first instinct was N18, but after M18, it quickly got hairy and looked like ko. If I capture M18 with M19, white can O17. Next thought is the other cutting point at Q17. White still has throwin at P17, so similarly, it doesn't work. Since these throwins were getting me, I tried O18 first. But after O18, white can play N18. Cutting at Q17 doesn't work well, again because of the throwin at P17. So I tried P17 first. If white defends the cutting point at Q17, then I can cut at N18. Even if white throws in at O18, I can capture O19. White approach at P19 is no big deal because of R15. The issue was, after P17, white might play O18. For awhile it just didn't seem working. Even if I cut at Q17, white could connect at P19. I stopped reading the first time through here. But reading further, it became clear that after P19, black can R19 forcing white to connect the atari. L19 then works to get rid of the other eye on top. Since the four black stones have two liberties, white cannot have time to make an eye on top. I would say that I solved this problem pretty thoroughly, even though I didn't read far enough with one of the variations the first pass through. I wish I had given the other problems the same amount of thought.

Puzzle 117: Looked a little intimidating, so I didn't try it at all for now. Didn't look at the solution, or try a single variation. Maybe I'll make a second pass later and come back to this.

Puzzle 118: Solved this one correctly, too. First instinct was Q16, but after R17, it just didn't seem working. But playing R17 first seemed promising. I may have tried Q19 variation first, but I soon tried R17 first. If black didn't play Q16, I could play Q19 threatening to connect under (and white didn't have enough eyespace on the right). After white blocked, I could play Q16 for the famous shortage of liberties shape. The interesting aspect was if white played Q16 first (in response to R17). But R19 was sente, and then S17 threatened to connect. If white T17 in response to S17, I could throwin at T18 without problem. The interesting variation was if white played T16 in response to S17. But in this case, I could capture the single stone with T18. This is actually slightly different from the book's variation where he played T17. But I believe it is still correct, since white doesn't have enough liberties to capture the black stones.

Puzzle 119: Though I skipped 117, I felt some momentum from solving puzzles 116 and 118. So I quickly thought I had come up with the solution to this one with P19. It's not the correct answer, and is just the "shape" move. I should have given this one more thought.

Puzzle 120: I spent some time on this problem and came up with white O17, black P18, white Q18, black Q19, white R19 for ko. In fact, this is ko. However, I missed the winning variation, which is a lot cooler - and is not ko. So I got this problem incorrect.

Puzzle 121: This problem I got correct. It didn't take me long to start with S18 - maybe a feeling about the shape. And there were basically two types of followups - if white played on the right (T18 or T17) or on the top (R19 or S19). White can't try to make an eye in the middle, since he can only get one eye in gote. In the case where white plays on the right, black R16 works nicely since white has shortage of liberties. In the case that white plays on the top, black Q16 works fine since white's normal response (R16) doesn't work since black can Q17. This problem wasn't too bad, and I felt confident with the answer.

That's as far as I got tonight. In the end, I only got 3 problems 100% correct. For 2 problems, I read out most of the correct variations, but didn't read them thoroughly enough to ultimately solve the problem. I was too hasty with 119 and wasn't even close - maybe I got too excited.

Ignoring the problem I totally skipped, I suppose that's about 50% accuracy, spending around 10 minutes per problem... Not really happy about 50% accuracy in some ways, but at least I think I should continue to try to solve from this book. It's a bit harder than some of the other problems I've done in the past, and I think I should see it through.

I'll try to be more accurate going forward. Tomorrow, I'll aim to do at least 6 problems and get them all correct within 10 minutes. That's my goal, anyway.

Still haven't shaved. I guess I'll do that next.

Post subject:
Post #811 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:12 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Quote:
Still haven't shaved. I guess I'll do that next.
Why, what's the hurry ? :)
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 44.33 KiB | Viewed 6028 times ]

Post #812 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:52 pm 
Honinbo

Well, two things accomplished.
1. I shaved.
2. I played a game, finally, this week.

It was against KGS 1k. He had some colorful language near the end.

Here is the game, with a review from black's perspective.

Notably, he should have killed me on the top left. It's kind of amusing that I tenuki to let it die, he didn't kill it, had another chance, and still didn't kill it.

So that group should have died. Nonetheless, it was still an interesting game.

Post #813 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:11 pm 
Honinbo

Aji-keshi Review

Position 1:
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . O X . X . . |
$$ | . . O O O O . . X . . . . O O X X . . |
$$ | . . X X X . . . . , . . . . . O O X X |
$$ | . . . . . . X . W . . . . . . . . O . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . O . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O O . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ | . . X O X . . . . . . . . . . . . O . |
$$ | . . X O X . . . . X . . . . O O O X X |
$$ | . . O X . X . . . . . . . O X X X . . |
$$ | . . O . X . . . . . . . . X . . . . . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

The marked move was somewhat aji-keshi, I suppose. My intention was to develop potential in the center, but black fixes his weird connection pretty well. I wonder if I need to do this right now.

In fact, splitting the stones doesn't seem that bad, if I can get a good attack on his stones. For example:
[go]$$W
$$ | . . . . . . 5 . . . . . . O X . X . . |
$$ | . . O O O O 4 3 B . . . . O O X X . . |
$$ | . . X X X . 2 1 . , . . . . . O O X X |
$$ | . . . . . . X . . . . . . . . . . O . |

Maybe black won't play that way, but splitting seems viable if not now, in the future. And after this move, I erased that possibility.

Position 2:
[go]$$B
$$ | . O . O X . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | X O O . O O X . . . . . . O X . X . . |
$$ | . X O O O O . . X . . . . O O X X . . |
$$ | . X X X X . . X . , O . . . . O O X X |
$$ | . . . . . . X . O . . . . . . . . O . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . O . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . X . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . X O . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . W X O O . O . . O . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . O X X . O X . . . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . X X O O . . . . |
$$ | . O . O . X . O . . . . . X . . . . . |
$$ | . . O O . . . . . . . . . O . . O . . |
$$ | . . X O X . . . . X . . X X O O O X X |

Not sure if the atari was ideal. It's not 100% clear to me that this is the direction I want to go. For example, later, maybe I want to pressure his other stones:
[go]$$W
$$ | . . . . . . . . . 3 X . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . 1 . . X O . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . 2 X O O . O . . O . . . |

So yeah, kind of aji-keshi. Maybe I play as above now, and try to make something on the bottom:
[go]$$W
$$ | . . . . . . . . . 3 X . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . 1 . . X O . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . 2 X O O . O . . O . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . 4 . . . . X X O O . . . . |
$$ | . . O O . . . . . . . 5 . O . . O . . |

Not sure if it will work, though. I guess I can see why I played this way.

Maybe instead of doing either atari, I should simply deal with the stone first:
[go]$$W
$$ | . . X . . . . . b . . X O . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . a X W W . O . . O . . . |
$$ | . . X . . 3 . . . . . X X O O . . . . |
$$ | . . O O 2 1 . . . . . . . O . . O . . |

Then later, I can decide on 'a' or 'b'. I think I like this path best - don't decide atari, even if he captures my marked white stones.

These are the main points of "aji-keshi" I'd like to point out. I will get to the game review from my own side later tonight.

Already, I should note that:
1. I shouldn't have given him the chance to let me die in the top left.
2. I shouldn't have allowed such risk in the opening when he could have cut me in the bottom left.

Post #814 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:58 pm 
Honinbo

Review of Game From My Perspective

Kind of distracted by Ing Cup right now...

Post #815 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:14 am 
Honinbo

Some Highlights

Position 1
[go]$$B
$$ | . . . . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . , . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . W . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X , . . . . . X . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

I think this is too loose. I should have played tighter earlier, and it could have made the K4 stone weird.

For example:
[go]$$B
$$ | . . O W . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X , . . . . . X . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

If black responds to the joseki, K4 looks weird:
[go]$$B
$$ | . . O O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X , . . . . . B . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . . X . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

and if he doesn't, then I can press down, and K4 is still a little weird:
[go]$$B
$$ | . . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X 4 . . . . . B . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . 5 X 2 6 . 8 . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . 3 7 . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

Black might give up corner like in game to get ponnuki, but I'm fine with the nice corner:
[go]$$B
$$ | . . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X 4 7 . . . . X . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . 6 X 2 5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . 8 . 3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

Position 2:
[go]$$B
$$ | . . O O W O . . X . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X X X . . . . , . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . X O X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X O X . . . . X . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . O X . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

I like this response a little better:
[go]$$B
$$ | . . . . . . W . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O O . O . . X . . . . . . . . . . |

Position 3:
[go]$$B
$$ | . . O O O O . . X . . . . . W X X . . |
$$ | . . X X X . . . . , . . . . . O O . . |
$$ | . . . . . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . |

I like this a little better (to try to grab sente):
[go]$$B
$$ | . . O O O O . . X . . . . W . X X . . |

Position 4:
[go]$$B
$$ | . W . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | X O . . . . . . . . . . . O X . X . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . O . . O . . . |

Killing myself is bad :-)

[go]$$B
$$ | X O . . . . . W . . . . . O X . X . . |

Kind of painful, but I should try this to live.

Position 5:
[go]$$B
$$ | . . O O . . . . . . . . . W . . O . . |

Didn't think of this in the sgf review, but this move seems a bit small. Maybe I should expand the center more and let him have this area:
[go]$$B
$$ | . . . , . . . . . W . . O . . O . . . |

Maybe that's bigger than what I played.

Position 6:
[go]$$B
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , O . O . . O . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . B . O X . . . . . |

Things were getting slightly risky after black's move here, and I had a pretty good game before it I thought.

So maybe earlier, I should make things simpler:
[go]$$B
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . O X . . . . . |
$$ | . O . O . . W . . . . . . X . . . . . |

Position 7:
[go]$$B
$$ | . . . , . . . W X O O . O . . O . . . |

I think the atari is a weak move, and I don't know if I want to do that. I think I should move with the other stone first to see how black responds:
[go]$$W
$$ | . . a , 7 . . b X O O . O . . O . . . |
$$ | . . X 6 5 3 . . . . . X X O O . . . . |
$$ | . O . O 4 X . O . . . . . X . . . . . |
$$ | . . O O 2 1 . . . . . . . O . . O . . |

I can aim in the 'a' and 'b' area next as miai.

These are the main points I think I should focus on.

So some highlights:
1. Think more carefully about the technical details (type of connection to use to push down, etc.).
2. When game is good for me, avoid getting into a crisis situation where black has a big moyo. I could have just reduced this and the game would be simpler. When I'm ahead, try to wrap up the game in a simple way.
3. Play the big area (e.g. I like the tengen in Position 5).

Post #816 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:14 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Kirby wrote:
Some Highlights
I think this is too loose. I should have played tighter earlier, and it could have made the K4 stone weird.

If black responds to the joseki, K4 looks weird:
[go]$$B
$$ | . . X , . . . . . B . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . . X . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

Can't black play this way and look fine?
[go]$$B
$$ | . . 2 , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . X , 1 . . . . B . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . . . . . 3 . . . . . |

Quote:
Position 2:
[go]$$B

I don't think there's anything wrong with this position as yet. White can come out easily enough and black's original keima looks overconcentrated. Black's choice of direction after the 3-3 seemed kind of odd, to be honest. When black ends in gote, overconcentrated, and low on the left, it seems good for white.

Quote:
Position 5:
[go]$$B
$$ | . . O O . . . . . . . . . W . . O . . |

Didn't think of this in the sgf review, but this move seems a bit small. Maybe I should expand the center more and let him have this area:
[go]$$B

Maybe that's bigger than what I played.

I'm not so sure. A black play in that area could reduce quite a bit, and also expands black's moyo on the bottom. I find it a bit difficult to evaluate directly, though. I suppose if you see the central move as gaining 15 points in the moyo, the bottom one might count for 10-12, plus the effect limiting black which may be worth more.

Post #817 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:48 am 
Honinbo

I dunno, I think the bottom is a bit loose here:

[go]$$B
$$ | . . 2 , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . X , 1 . . . . B . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . . . . . 3 . . . . . |

I admit it's not terrible, but I don't mind white.

Post #818 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:50 am 
Honinbo

[go]$$B
$$ --------------------------------------[/go]

This idea is mostly my feeling: expanding the center feels bigger than what I played.

I didn't evaluate points.

Post #819 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:15 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Kirby wrote:
Some Highlights...

Position 2:
I disagree with you here. I think the game choice was better. With the marked Black stone on the board, however, Black should have been more aggressive and jumped to 1 maybe.
[go]$$Bc
$$ | . . X X X . 1 . . , . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . B . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

Here the normal follow up would be 1 and 3 I think. If White tries to cut instead of playing 6, Black plays the atari at 6 of course. Again this would find some actual use for the marked Black stone, which was completely useless in the actual game.
[go]$$Bc
$$ | . . . . 2 . W . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O O 1 O 6 . X . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X X X 4 3 7 . , . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . . . . 5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . B . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

Position 3:

I think your game choice was better.
[go]$$B
$$ | . . O O O O . . X . . . . . W X X . . |

You over value sente (you do this fairly often in your games). Not only is 2 below small because of Black's strength in the bottom left, but 3 fixes Black's bad relationship between the two marked stones. Black does not need to connect these stones any longer. In the game, you wasted your thickness in the upper right when you 'forced' Black to connect these stones. Of course you should have separated them as in your variation in the game file. Your target should be to take over the top.
[go]$$B
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 . . . . . |
$$ | . . O O O O . . B . . . 3 W . X X . . |
$$ | . . . . . . B . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O X . X . . . . . . . 2 . . . . . |

Position 7:

I think that you will be disappointed below after 8. ;-) The 1, 3 combo is not valid here so you were in more danger than you realized.
[go]$$W
$$ | . . a , 7 . . b X O O . O . . O . . . |
$$ | . . X 6 5 3 . . . . . X X O O . . . . |
$$ | . O . O 4 X . O . . . . . X . . . . . |
$$ | . 8 O O 2 1 . . . . . . . O . . O . . |

Post #820 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:06 am 
Honinbo

@ez4u:
Position 2: I see you variation, but why don't you like it compared to the game?

Position 3: I can see your point, and I agree.

Position 7: Haha :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 96  Next