It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New League admin
Post #1 Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:48 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 14
KGS: cgbspender
Some of you may have already noticed, but now it's becomng official with this post :

Johndoe69 is now a new admin for the ASR League.

Welcome him !

Post subject: Re: New League admin
Post #2 Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:16 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Congratulations, Topazg!

Post #3 Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:18 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
KGS: fengytreon, fengitreon
welcome johndoe69, and congrats for reaching into alpha. :clap:

Post #4 Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:34 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 22
GD Posts: 10
KGS: usagi
cgbspender wrote:
Some of you may have already noticed, but now it's becomng official with this post :

Johndoe69 is now a new admin for the ASR League.

Welcome him !

Congratulations. Or should I say, welcome to your doom? Well, at the least, thanks for helping out.

Out of curiosity what will his responsibilities be as an administrator of the ASR?

Post #5 Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:14 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Thanks y'all :) I have special responsibilities, including but not limited to:

1) Silencing all members who have views that are not agreeable to the ASR status quo
2) Pretending to listen to all attempts at positive contribution, and then making sure they don't happen
3) Turning supportive members against anyone who would dare criticise the administration
4) Fixing game results to ensure I stay in Alpha

And the big primary responsibility...:

None of the above!

Basically, adding people that want to join into the most appropriate division (normally the first one with a space)
Helping people that want to know more about the league (and convince them to give it a go!)
Updating the text on the ASR site, including posting news posts
Adding games manually where the players forgot to tag them
Helping out with any problems that arise in the monthly running of the league
Responding and passing on feedback, comments and suggestions as they arrive
Advertising, promoting, and actively encouraging new participation

Post #6 Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:40 pm 
Lives with ko

topazg wrote:
Thanks y'all :) I have special responsibilities, including but not limited to:

Interesting, thanks. I would like to see anything positive come of this, especially as you say in advertising. Actually I had hoped you (or someone) was going to be the superclass liaison. In that sense it makes sense that a new admin would be hired. I think it just helps if there are clear cut responsibilities -- in any organization. That's what I was hoping to see. More organization, clear cut goals and responsibilities. Vision. The ASR is moving up, if the superclass really "works" what would you do if membership jumped to 300?

See thats why I was asking. I was asking because I wanted to know what exciting things we have in store for the league, to know what vision you all had. Not because I wanted you to mock my ideas. Well not that you are REALLY mocking my ideas. Just kidding! Right? It just feels like it's very clear how unwanted my help here is. At any rate now that you and the other admins have said many times you have absolutely no idea of implementing ANY of the changes I've suggested I'll pull back a lot from the suggesting business.

Believe it or not I just do what I do because I want to see the ASR be the best it can be.. even if I am slightly misguided :)

We're all rooting for you.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:35 pm 
Tengen

I have no idea what you just said :D

Post #8 Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:17 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 23
GD Posts: 163
KGS: GoCat
Graham, I have to say I am really impressed -- not by this particular event but, you have what, four kids? A partner? You continue to improve your own game? You make the occasional video? You are an admin in multiple Go-related sites? You (presumably) have a day job? And who knows what else...

Do you sleep? Do you remember your kids' names? ;-)

This post by GoCat was liked by: Apoah

Post #9 Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:48 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
GoCat wrote:
Do you sleep? Do you remember your kids' names? ;-)

Probably farms the admin work to them. =D Seriously though, you've got admirable gumption and drive.

Post #10 Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:52 pm 
Lives with ko

topazg wrote:
I have no idea what you just said :D

I'm happy a new admin was hired (and, congratulations) and it is my hope you bring (yet more) vision and purpose to the league -- by focusing on one thing at a time. You mentioned advertising and getting new members. I think that's great. It would be great if someone focused on advertising and bringing in new members. I'd also hope that includes current member retention. One of my previous suggestions in the ideas thread was to have an admin talk to members in the league and take a somewhat more personal/interactive interest in member's progress. I hope you do that or something like it.

Also now that you're an admin, am I to assume you would green light me talking to members / collecting data re:timezones/availability times? This is something you commented on before you became an admin, I think it would be something positive. Have you discussed it with stalkor or anyone? Let me know, I'd do it.

Post #11 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:18 am 
Tengen

I do try to sleep, but I find it is overrated :P

Thanks again, you're all far too kind.

@Usagi: My first goals are

1) to update the pages, FAQs and descriptions on the ASR site a little, make the case a bit more for what exactly it offers right now.
2) to have some volunteers that will use up their daily advert in the EGR to promote the ASR .. perhaps once every 3 or 4 days per person.

The idea of collecting that data is fantastic, and if you are volunteering, you definitely have the green light. I cannot guarantee what will be done with that data, as it depends what it says, but I will do some analysis on it when you have it. If you could collect availability and timezone from everyone for this month, and I'll have a look through for correlations between that and games actually played - many thanks!

Post #12 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:44 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
topazg wrote:
2) to have some volunteers that will use up their daily advert in the EGR to promote the ASR .. perhaps once every 3 or 4 days per person.

That looks a lot like abuse of the advertising rule to me by circumventing the limit using strawmen.

Post #13 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:03 am 
Tengen

Is it? I'm not sure why ... the purpose is that those people that feel the ASR is worth promoting can do so. It's not like people can't effectively do this anyway, and it's not like I'm endorsing everyone spams the place with a message a day each ;)

I often see KGS+ adverts even though I'm not a KGS+ subscriber at the moment (though will renew at some point soon, as I miss it) and those even go into my PM windows, let alone every other room window I have open. I don't object to that, as long as I don't get 10 in the space of 5 minutes, it seems hard to be annoyed by it.

I don't know, wms and glue both visit L19 every now and again - I'll gladly not do this if they feel this is abusive of their system.

Post #14 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:20 am 
Lives with ko

topazg wrote:

1) to update the pages, FAQs and descriptions on the ASR site a little, make the case a bit more for what exactly it offers right now.

The idea of collecting that data is fantastic, and if you are volunteering, you definitely have the green light. I cannot guarantee what will be done with that data, as it depends what it says, but I will do some analysis on it when you have it. If you could collect availability and timezone from everyone for this month, and I'll have a look through for correlations between that and games actually played - many thanks!

I accept your offer. Please knight me, to make it official, and I'll begin collecting data immediately. I've always wanted to be a knight. TIA,

Post #15 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:41 am 
Tengen

usagi wrote:
topazg wrote:

I accept your offer. Please knight me, to make it official, and I'll begin collecting data immediately. I've always wanted to be a knight. TIA,

I hereby knight you Sir usagi, member of the order of ASR league data collectors! Where and what format will the collected data be held and kept?

Post #16 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:56 am 
Lives with ko

topazg wrote:
I hereby knight you Sir usagi, member of the order of ASR league data collectors! Where and what format will the collected data be held and kept?

I will create a royal excel worksheet which contains the player's KGS username and the information abou timezone and availability.

Fields will be empty if there is no information.

If there's any other information you would like to collect let me know. I'll be starting from alpha and working top down. It may take a while. I will forward you the information on here periodically as it fleshes out.

Post #17 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:37 am 
Tengen

usagi wrote:
topazg wrote:

I will create a royal excel worksheet which contains the player's KGS username and the information abou timezone and availability.

Fields will be empty if there is no information.

If there's any other information you would like to collect let me know. I'll be starting from alpha and working top down. It may take a while. I will forward you the information on here periodically as it fleshes out.

Google spreadsheet may be an idea. That way, it can be shared easily. Also, rank (particularly for those with - and ?) would be nice

Post #18 Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:40 am 
Tengen

Li Kao wrote:
topazg wrote:

That looks a lot like abuse of the advertising rule to me by circumventing the limit using strawmen.

Having spoken to Bill, I'm sort of in agreement with this now. I'll probably just do it myself once a week or so, and if other people choose to do it of their own volition, that's their prerogative.

Thanks for flagging it :)