Was liked: 0
KGS: oldyew
Tygem: tester
IGS: oldyew
Wbaduk: oldyew
DGS: oldyew
OGS: oldyew
Online playing schedule: wbaduk 21:00-23:00
it's a strategy when player will play at least 2 (or more) games with all players in the group and loose all the games and he/she will be in the top of the list.

so is such state ok for all or does anybody feel some inconvenience due to you need to play more games (amount instead of quality) to go to the next level?

Post subject: Re: Win or Loose?
Post #2 Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:03 am 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
This is intentional in the design of the league. Occasionally people will win with a huge number of red dots, and occasionally with a few green dots, but since the system tries to reward both activity and ability, normally the winners play lots of games and win most of them... As intended.

Post subject: Re: Win or Loose?
Post #3 Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:38 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
KGS: oldyew
Tygem: tester
IGS: oldyew
Wbaduk: oldyew
DGS: oldyew
OGS: oldyew
Online playing schedule: wbaduk 21:00-23:00
So the goal is to play more?
It's strange for me if one plays in group with 20 players and wins each of them one time and will have 38 pts (2pt x 19 players).
Whereas another loses to all player twice and will have the same 38 pts(1pt x 19players x 2time).
And if we assume that we have 4 "losers" that additionally play one more game and will have more then 38 pts.
Then strongest player in the group will stay in it and can't go up. :)

So the intention is to reward not thinking but repeating, isn't it?

I try to understand should i continue to play in league or not,
I played 2 months. And I was needed to play not less then 20 games per month and try to win at least half of them to go up. But all of my game is about 2 hrs or more...

But it's very hard for people with job and family :)
And if I will play about 4-10 games per month then I will be in the gamma group always.
So how I could getting better?

Post subject: Re: Win or Lose?
Post #4 Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:47 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 10
KGS: Coyote
DGS: Coyote
I'm sorry Oldyew, your numbers are off. If I play 19 players twice and lose both times I'll have 28.5 points. The second loss is only .5 points, not 1 point.

However, that doesn't really matter. What matters is that the ASR isn't really a competitive league. If you want a competitive league find something that has smaller classes. You'll have to schedule matches and won't be able to play as much but winning will become more important than playing.

As long as you are getting as many games as you like with some against stronger opponents you are having the proper ASR experience.

Post subject: Re: Win or Lose?
Post #5 Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:32 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Are you suggesting an alternative solution?

It seems to me that if someone is the strongest player and is active, then they end up near the top; and that the weakest players who do not play many games end up near the bottom.

If you play 4-10 games through the month - which seems to be on the low to average end - and do not win most of them, then it does not seem particularly surprising that you have not been promoted.

But is that a bad thing?

You have still played the amount of games you have time for; they have been challenging if you have not won them all; and you have had the opportunity to learn from them.

Ultimately isn't everything you could hope for from something like the ASR league?