All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recent Decline in Membership
Post #1 Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:14 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 22
GD Posts: 10
KGS: usagi
There were just 169 retained members from October's league, and there are currently 107 inactive players in the league as of Nov. 20th.

Is this a problem?

I realize that people sign up throughout the month and that there is still time for people to play their games, however we are in the final stretch of the month and it looks very likely we will experience a repeat of the 2010 September Massacre where more than half the league drops out and we end up with 100 or less active members.

Is this normal? I know membership fluctuates seasonally but this seems a bit much. What are management's plans for the league going forward?

Post subject: Re: Recent Decline in Membership
Post #2 Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:57 pm 
Lives with ko

usagi wrote:
There were just 169 retained members from October's league, and there are currently 107 inactive players in the league as of Nov. 20th.

Is this a problem?

I realize that people sign up throughout the month and that there is still time for people to play their games, however we are in the final stretch of the month and it looks very likely we will experience a repeat of the 2010 September Massacre where more than half the league drops out and we end up with 100 or less active members.

Is this normal? I know membership fluctuates seasonally but this seems a bit much. What are management's plans for the league going forward?

Guys, there are 16 people in administrative positions surrounding the ASR, why wasn't this answered? I know this is a hobby for many of you, but it's been 5 days, and I have spoken to three (junior?) league admins in kgs chat and no one seems to know what is going on.

There is a a 3 month prize backlog, and the webpage hasn't been updated for 4 or 5 months. For example, I don't see a game of the month anywhere (ever), and Breakfast's league, which shut down permanently in August, is still listed as a prize.

Re: the inactivity problem, have you considered scaling? The league is a very different place now, and next month there will be no delta room and likely no gamma 4. But the structure has remained the same for a long time. Who is responsible for making this kind of decision? It might help.

I'm not angry or upset, I am just trying to give some constructive criticism. What I have said so far is pretty obvious. There's more, but I decided to edit it out.

All I really want to do is to help out. You guys should know that I am an active if not a strong player and that I always try to push the league forward. Heck, I ran the ASR for longer than everyone else put together -- three years between 2004 and 2007. And no, I did not abandon the league -- Sente did. When I realized I could no longer effectively manage the league, I passed the reins.

I have to believe that at least some part of what I did to help and to promote the league in 2010 brought us to our peak of over 500 players. Today, we are facing the loss of every player we gained until that date. Stalkor has been on vacation for -- a year? more?

We need to get back to what the ASR is supposed to be doing on a very basic level. Even CGB's Teaching Room had "group lectures, teaching games, reviews for all players," -- right? There was a focus. There was a community. If we are incapable of doing that and we are just sitting on a league, then *as a player* I don't think it is good enough. You might say "if you don't like it why not just quit?" but that is the point, isn't it. Too many people are quitting.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:30 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
usagi wrote:

Guys, there are 16 people in administrative positions surrounding the ASR, why wasn't this answered? I know this is a hobby for many of you, but it's been 5 days, and I have spoken to three (junior?) league admins in kgs chat and no one seems to know what is going on.
At the moment, there are 6 people not 16 doing administrative work, and two of them are new. You are right that participation is declining, and we are concerned about it. We haven't responded because no one among us feels particularly eager to get into a discussion with you about what should be done. This has partly to do with your personal history with the league, but also as you rightly suggest with the inertia of our current structure. One thing that has however been done is to acquire new sponsors. Prizes from the sadly defunct Insei league have been replaced with prizes from Gogameguru and BadukMovies.

Quote:
There is a a 3 month prize backlog, and the webpage hasn't been updated for 4 or 5 months. For example, I don't see a game of the month anywhere (ever), and Breakfast's league, which shut down permanently in August, is still listed as a prize.
This is not true. The prize backlog is being cleared up (we are still one month behind, but not for long) and the website was last updated on Nov 17th (perhaps the front page should be more visible.) There has been no game of the month because until October none had been proposed. (There will be one in Oct). Due to our backlog, we didn't discover until October that the Insei League had ended.

Quote:
Re: the inactivity problem, have you considered scaling? The league is a very different place now, and next month there will be no delta room and likely no gamma 4. But the structure has remained the same for a long time. Who is responsible for making this kind of decision? It might help.
Yes, we will be modifying the structure. Such decisions are currently being made democratically.

Quote:
We need to get back to what the ASR is supposed to be doing on a very basic level. Even CGB's Teaching Room had "group lectures, teaching games, reviews for all players," -- right? There was a focus. There was a community. If we are incapable of doing that and we are just sitting on a league, then *as a player* I don't think it is good enough. You might say "if you don't like it why not just quit?" but that is the point, isn't it. Too many people are quitting.
I think you are right that the league is currently doing too little to involve the community. There is a discussion going on amongst the active admins and your criticisms have been a valuable push to keep it rolling.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:36 am 
Lives with ko

daal wrote:
You are right that participation is declining, and we are concerned about it. We haven't responded because no one among us feels particularly eager to get into a discussion with you about what should be done. This has partly to do with your personal history with the league, but also as you rightly suggest with the inertia of our current structure. One thing that has however been done is to acquire new sponsors. Prizes from the sadly defunct Insei league have been replaced with prizes from Gogameguru and BadukMovies.

Thanks for the response. I would only like to say, that it is probably better to put Go first in this situation and not worry about my personal history with the league. I know Stalkor and some of the admins don't like me for one reason or another, I guess mainly because I walk in and start stating what I think should be done and it's inappropriate because I am not in charge. But there was a time when I was given the opportunity to help out around here, and as a result I would like to think I had a hand in pushing the ASR to new heights. Basically I think I am just too difficult to manage -- but to keep things positive please consider that a positive aspect about me, that I bring my own energy and momentum to a project and that I tend to work hard and try things other people might not consider.

Anyways I'm happy enough to hear that I can still do some good around here :) As long as you know I am willing to help out, even if you don't need me, I can be satisfied with that.