It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guess the Move App
Post #1 Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:00 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: naf
The last weeks I made an Android app for training Go. It's called Guess the Move. You get lots of randomly choosen positions from pro matches. In each some "good looking" fields are marked with letters and it's up to you to guess which one was really played in the match. The positions are grouped into opening, middle game and yose.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... essthemove

If you have an Android phone or tablet, please have a look at it, and let me know what you think about it. Happy Guessing!

This post by malie7 was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: Guess the Move App
Post #2 Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:23 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Hey, I tried out the app - quite nice! I like the way the problems are shown, but I also found myself wishing that the app would save some info about which problems I had already done, how many guesses I needed, average number of guesses, etc. I'm also a bit curious as to how you came up with the choices for the next move and determining the difficulty of the problems - is this done by an algorithm, or is somebody going through all the games and making suggestions and if so, how strong are they?

Post subject: Re: Guess the Move App
Post #3 Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:37 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: naf
Hey daal,

thanks!
The newest version tracks a bit more about your progress. For every pack two numbers are shown: How many positions you tried and how many you got correctly on your first try. That's not exactly what you are asking for, but it's more than nothing. I'm looking forward to implement more of the statistics your are mentioning.

The suggested moves were generated by an artificial neural network, similar to the SL policy network in alpha go. I haven't directly measured it's playing strength but it is able to predict around 40% of pro moves.

Happy Guessing ;)