Post #1 Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:21 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 8
KGS: 2d
Tygem: 3d
DGS: 3d
Hello everyone,
I'm proud to introduce Yuugen, a weekly Go journal created by a Finnish-Russian-Japanese team. The idea of this journal is to help aspiring strong DDK and SDK players improve their game. In the future, the journal might expand to include more articles on different topics, but at its core are two continually running sections:
1. Antti's Professional Game Reviews - Antti Törmänen 1p has kindly agreed to create weekly pro game reviews for us. The reviews will be both fairly comprehensive and at the same time accessible to kyu players. Most of the games will be taken from contemporary Japanese pro matches (I've heard from several pro strength players that Japanese games are more accessible for amateurs than Korean/Chinese ones, so that's a good fit for our journal), but some older, classical games will be occasionally reviewed, too.
2. From Russia with Tsumego. Vadim Philippov, a strong Russian 4d player, will select 24 tsumego problems of varying difficulty levels every week (with solutions provided in the next issue). We strongly believe that this way, our journal will contain a MED (minimal effective dose) for Go improvement - solving problems improves your reading and shape knowledge, and studying commented pro games is great both for shape knowledge and for general understanding.
The journal subscription will cost 10 euros/month (PayPal payments). Ordinarily that is for four issues, which I believe is already great value, but in October there will be five issues, the first being sent out on Oct 1 (Please don't worry about the timing - if you subscribe later in the month, you'll get all the October issues anyway, of course). PM me with inquiries.
Misha Zagorski, Russian 1d, Tygem 4d and a collaborator in this project.

This post by Fanshawe was liked by 2 people: Ember, yakcyll

Post subject: Re: introducing Yuugen, a weekly Go journal
Post #2 Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:13 pm 
Dies in gote

Hello everyone,
with a delay of one day (our apologies!) the first issue of Yuugen is ready. To let everyone see for themselves the quality of the journal before subscribing, we're making the first issue free. Unfortunately, the PDF is too large for me to attach it here, so we'll just send it manually by email to everyone who PMs me their email.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:34 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 16
Hope to see it soon, very curious about it.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:55 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 81
Online playing schedule: A schedule..? When hell freezes over... maybe. ^^;
I would have loved to have a look into it, but I haven't heard anything since I asked about a copy per private message a few days ago. It's quite sad, I loved the idea ver much!

Ah, just found it in the spam folder... Sorry and thank you! I'll have a look! :)

Post #5 Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:38 am 
Dies in gote

Hello everyone,
just a quick update on our project: we published four issues in October, and took November off to change the format to a more convenient one. We understood it's much more practical just to have a website and to give our readers access to it, so we'll try to get that done by December and restart in December (I'll make a separate announcement about that). Everything else will stay the same: readers will get detailed and accessible comments to recent pro games and some classical ones from Antti 1p, and a set of tsumego problems from Vadim 4d.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:16 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
As someone who has subscribed for the month of October, I'd like to complain that as of issue 4, there is still no answers for any of the tsumegos presented in Yuugen. At first it was said to be available in each subsequent issue and later on it was clarified that it would be available at the end of the month in the last issue. But as of issue 4, there have been no solutions to any of the tsumegos.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:35 am 
Dies in gote

My apologies about that! I thought the solutions have already been sent out. I'll try to make this happen ASAP.