It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: www.Ootakamoku.com - Modern fuseki practice.
Post #181 Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:20 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 63
Universal go server handle: Ootakamoku
Due to exams haven't had time to update the site for a while. I'll try to get some improvements done within the next few days.

This post by Ootakamoku was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, RBerenguel

Post #182 Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:57 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 485
Was liked: 166
KGS: aco
IGS: oca
OGS: oca
Hi, I just discovered your site... and it's an immediate fall in love !
just great ! :clap:

Post #183 Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:29 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
IGS: 3D+
Hi,

I have a question about the ranking system. I have noticed that as I keep having correct results, my rank may get lower. From 4.3kyu to 1.6dan -> 4.3kyu to 1.9kyu for example even I have not made any mistakes. What's this about? Are the correct results worth different or something like that?
Great webpage btw.

Post #184 Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:29 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
fey wrote:
[..] I have noticed that as I keep having correct results, my rank may get lower. From 4.3kyu to 1.6dan -> 4.3kyu to 1.9kyu for example even I have not made any mistakes.
they actually get higher http://senseis.xmp.net/?Rank

BUT careful, ootakamoku apparently estimates strength about 10 stones stronger than it actually is, at least it does so for me and some others I know.

And yes, it is a wonderful site :-)

Greetings, Tom

Last edited by Bonobo on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #185 Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:02 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 61
Was liked: 250
Back to Fey's question -- among all the "correct" answers, are some more correct than others? From the observed behavior of the program, this seems likely. If so, could the relative values be indicated when you go back to review the answers?

Post #186 Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:35 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 14
Pretty awesome

Post #187 Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:24 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
IGS: 3D+
mitsun wrote:
Back to Fey's question -- among all the "correct" answers, are some more correct than others? From the observed behavior of the program, this seems likely. If so, could the relative values be indicated when you go back to review the answers?

I would also like if there would be some kind of note that you'r answer was correct but not the one with biggest points.

Post #188 Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:34 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 63
Universal go server handle: Ootakamoku
mitsun wrote:

For now there are three levels of answers, wrong, right and uncertain. When you look at the position the mostly transparent stones shown are uncertain, where as the more solid ones are correct. Uncertain answers are not included in the rank calculations. As for rank dropping when you answer correctly, it has to do with it being a range, your average rank goes up, but the certainty of your rank increases so the maximum possible rank might actually come down faster. In anycase, there are some bugs with the ranking algorithm still, and Im working on a new version which will hopefully fix some of the problems.

This post by Ootakamoku was liked by: Bonobo

Post #189 Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:47 am 
Lives in gote

Ootakamoku wrote:
... your average rank goes up, but the certainty of your rank increases so the maximum possible rank might actually come down faster...
This does not make sense mathematically. The rank probability distribution has some tail at the high end, with low probability for a high rank. When the only new information is a correct answer, those low probabilities should not decrease.

Post #190 Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:07 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
mitsun wrote:
Ootakamoku wrote:
... your average rank goes up, but the certainty of your rank increases so the maximum possible rank might actually come down faster...
This does not make sense mathematically. The rank probability distribution has some tail at the high end, with low probability for a high rank. When the only new information is a correct answer, those low probabilities should not decrease.

The 95% interval (assuming a 95% is used) shrinks. The amount of data reduces the likelihood of a large deviation.

Post #191 Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:41 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
RBerenguel wrote:
mitsun wrote:
Ootakamoku wrote:

The 95% interval (assuming a 95% is used) shrinks. The amount of data reduces the likelihood of a large deviation.

Mitsun is correct. If a series of correct answers lowers the maximum rank level, that indicates that the rating algorithm is incorrect. (As I mentioned before, I have a bit of experience in a methodology course, having written an interactive Rasch testing algorithm, which estimated both the difficulty level of questions as well as the skill level of test takers, as Ootakamoku's site does.)

To see this, let us suppose that a 7 dan has been answering questions known to be at the 1 dan level, and furthermore, that he has answered enough questions that the tail of the player's skill level distribution below 1 dan is extremely small. Now he answers another 1 dan level question correctly. The shape of the distribution will change only slightly, but how will it change? The tail below 1 dan will shrink very slightly, while the tail above 7 dan will grow. It will grow because the probability that a 3 dan will get the answer correct is less than the probability that a 5 dan will get it correct, which is less than the probability that a 7 dan will get it correct, which is less than the probability that a high dan pro will get it correct. This means that the estimated skill level and also the maximum skill level will move up (unless the max is already at the maximum possible level). I chose this extreme case because if the lower tail below 1 dan is substantial, then it is possible to imagine that both tails move towards the mean more than the mean increases.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #192 Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:51 pm 
Gosei

Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Bill Spight wrote:
Mitsun is correct. If a series of correct answers lowers the maximum rank level, that indicates that the rating algorithm is incorrect. (As I mentioned before, I have a bit of experience in a methodology course, having written an interactive Rasch testing algorithm, which estimated both the difficulty level of questions as well as the skill level of test takers, as Ootakamoku's site does.)

To see this, let us suppose that a 7 dan has been answering questions known to be at the 1 dan level, and furthermore, that he has answered enough questions that the tail of the player's skill level distribution below 1 dan is extremely small. Now he answers another 1 dan level question correctly. The shape of the distribution will change only slightly, but how will it change? The tail below 1 dan will shrink very slightly, while the tail above 7 dan will grow. It will grow because the probability that a 3 dan will get the answer correct is less than the probability that a 5 dan will get it correct, which is less than the probability that a 7 dan will get it correct, which is less than the probability that a high dan pro will get it correct. This means that the estimated skill level and also the maximum skill level will move up (unless the max is already at the maximum possible level). I chose this extreme case because if the lower tail below 1 dan is substantial, then it is possible to imagine that both tails move towards the mean more than the mean increases.

But this assumes the answered question is of this same level, and also makes assumptions on what the ranking system is... and I guess they are different than mine :D I'm starting with the assumption that most solid questions are between 3k-5k, and as such, answering them correctly tends towards 3k-5kyushness. And it also depends on how Oota's algorithm is prepared, as I imagine it,it doesn't try to assign a meaningful rank (with "proper" properties), but only an estimation of an arbitrary number, as such it's almost like finding a fixed point by iteration. Each iterate (problem correctly solved) narrows down on a "correct" rank, reducing the distance to a correct rank "radius."

Post #193 Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:23 pm 
Honinbo

RBerenguel wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:

But this assumes the answered question is of this same level, and also makes assumptions on what the ranking system is... and I guess they are different than mine :D I'm starting with the assumption that most solid questions are between 3k-5k, and as such, answering them correctly tends towards 3k-5kyushness. And it also depends on how Oota's algorithm is prepared, as I imagine it,it doesn't try to assign a meaningful rank (with "proper" properties), but only an estimation of an arbitrary number, as such it's almost like finding a fixed point by iteration. Each iterate (problem correctly solved) narrows down on a "correct" rank, reducing the distance to a correct rank "radius."

That is only an illustration to make things clearer. It does not matter that the questions is at the same level. As Mitsun indicates, with each correct answer the lower tail shrinks and the upper tail grows.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #194 Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:28 pm 
Honinbo

RBerenguel wrote:
I'm starting with the assumption that most solid questions are between 3k-5k, and as such, answering them correctly tends towards 3k-5kyushness.

It does not. Answering them correctly, assuming that the player is stronger than 3 - 5 kyu, tends towards the player's level, not towards the level of the question. :)

Edit: Unless it tends towards both at the same time, OC. ;)

Edit2: Or away from both at the same time. ;) ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #195 Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:17 pm 
Lives in gote

RBerenguel wrote:
... I'm starting with the assumption that most solid questions are between 3k-5k, and as such, answering them correctly tends towards 3k-5kyushness.
That is the mathematical mistake. Answering any question correctly should make your rating move upward (tend toward +infinity). Of course the gain will not be large unless the question is difficult for your current rating. But a decrease indicates a problem with the rating algorithm.

For the mathematically inclined, think of Bayes' theorem. We have a prior probability (rating distribution based on previous answers), plus a new piece of information (correct answer to a problem at a particular difficulty level), and we want to derive a new probability (rating distribution based on all answers). How does inclusion of the new information alter the probability? The new information is consistent with any rank above the difficulty of the problem, but actually becomes more likely as that rank increases, even for ranks well above the problem difficulty. So the new distribution must be pulled toward higher ratings by the inclusion of the new information.

Post #196 Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:33 am 
Gosei

mitsun wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:
... I'm starting with the assumption that most solid questions are between 3k-5k, and as such, answering them correctly tends towards 3k-5kyushness.
That is the mathematical mistake. Answering any question correctly should make your rating move upward (tend toward +infinity). Of course the gain will not be large unless the question is difficult for your current rating. But a decrease indicates a problem with the rating algorithm.

For the mathematically inclined, think of Bayes' theorem. We have a prior probability (rating distribution based on previous answers), plus a new piece of information (correct answer to a problem at a particular difficulty level), and we want to derive a new probability (rating distribution based on all answers). How does inclusion of the new information alter the probability? The new information is consistent with any rank above the difficulty of the problem, but actually becomes more likely as that rank increases, even for ranks well above the problem difficulty. So the new distribution must be pulled toward higher ratings by the inclusion of the new information.

Yes, the thing is I wasn't thinking of it in terms of probability but more in terms of a dynamical system. (old) Professional deformation, I guess :D

Post #197 Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:39 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 288
Was liked: 65
OGS: Joellercoaster
I have been away for a while - from ootakamoku in particular, and mostly from Go in general.

I think something might be a little screwy; my previously narrow band of possibilities has become very large:

Quote:
You have answered 848 positions. By my estimate your rank is between 10.9 Kyu and 3.3 Dan.

(I don't think either of those is very likely :lol:)

Post #198 Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:17 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Quote:
You have answered 3319 positions. By my estimate your rank is between 5.0 Kyu and 4.9 Kyu.
Still about ten stones off (and no, I’m NOT 5 dan :-D ) and doesn’t seem to change, no matter how many “wrong” moves I make <shrug> it’s still fun, though, and I like the illusion that it improves my play :-D

Greetings, Tom

Post #199 Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:28 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 9
KGS: foe
I'm about 10k kgs, after 1800 answered it has me pegged at 4.9k as well. Hmmmmm.
I am digging it though, the questions presented seem suitable to my level, and I am learning some shape and fighting techniques.

Post #200 Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:53 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 124
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
foe wrote:
I'm about 10k kgs, after 1800 answered it has me pegged at 4.9k as well. Hmmmmm.
I am digging it though, the questions presented seem suitable to my level, and I am learning some shape and fighting techniques.

I'm 9k and Ootakamoku will not budge from 4.9-5 as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next