It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Monthly Statistics
Post #1 Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:30 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Here are the monthly figures by class for the period Nov '11 through Mar '12 - the period since delta was reorganized. Interestingly, March saw the highest membership at 346 with the highest percentage qualified (72%) and the lowest percentage inactive (13%). All the differences were small versus earlier months, however, so congrats are premature. :blackeye:

(Worse, what if the good stats are because ol' ez was away for most of the month! :scratch:)

[Edit: As with the weekly stats, I have added all new months to this original post in order to facilitate comparison between months. So far this includes months through June 2012.]
June 2012:

May 2012:

April 2012:

Original months up to March 2012:

(I changed the image to include also figures for games per active player [G/Active], where 'active' is the sum of "qual'd" and "active", and games per member [G/Total]. The figure is calculated as games times 2, since there are two players per game, divided by the appropriate number of members.)

Last edited by ez4u on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by ez4u was liked by: stalkor

Post subject: Re: Monthly Statistics
Post #2 Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:16 am 
Oza

I saw some (more) chat about the effects of large group size on players being able to play lots of games in order to promote. I was not available to add my ¥2 at the time, but as usual I wondered if our expectations are actually correct. So I looked back at March...

Code:
March 2012       Members  # games>30  %    30> # games>20  %
Delta                133           2 2%               12  9%
Gamma (4 classes)    106           3 3%               11 10%
Alpha                 18           0                   4 22%

Mean: games  winning%  Median: games winning%
Delta top half              14.8       55%           13.0      55%
Gamma top half              16.1       56%           13.5      58%
Alpha top half              18.3       51%           18.0      52%

I first compared delta and alpha because they were the extremes, but then I thought well... the chat was actually about delta vs. gamma, so I added that. But, then I was too lazy to do beta as well so there you have it! :blackeye:

I looked at the top half of each level because the promotion zones are different in each class. In any case, this does not look like a pattern where the large size of delta allows a large group of very active players to dominate the top of the scoring table. There have always been a few quite active players, but currently the number is quite limited. The higher mean than median values in delta and gamma show some skew in the results toward high numbers but not a lot IMHO.

This post by ez4u was liked by: topazg

Post #3 Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:38 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
There's something else: a large delta promotes competition. In split-delta times, a player with 4 played games could get promoted to gamma in some sub-delta, unlike current delta where only players giving it a serious try can get to gamma easily.

Post #4 Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:11 pm 
Oza

Here are stats for April (a little catching up here!) and May. Was it exam fever that caused May to be a very slow month?
April:

May:

Post #5 Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:02 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
Are you just referring to the fact that we lost some players? Or you think 9.8 games per player requires explanation compared to the previous months?

Thanks, again, for compiling all these stats! :bow:

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:59 am 
Oza

Remember that we lose the players every month, in that we drop the non-qualifiers out of delta. However, in May we gained far fewer back again from people signing up in delta. I think mainly as a result of that, the activity figures for delta looked quite good. However, meanwhile the activity in the other classes was low. The only exception was Beta II, which was quite active (I am convinced it was a conspiracy in Beta II to ensure that 'ol ez did not get promoted back to Alpha, but that's just me :blackeye: ).

Post #7 Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:55 am 
Oza

I have added the June 2012 figures to the original post (see above) to make it easier to compare the different months.