It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Path to 9Dan, step by step.
Post #161 Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:01 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 40
So i had one of my worst streaks i've ever had in baduk, but meh, it is starting to turn around. I'm maintaining about a 58% rate against 7ks, around 50% against 6ks. I've had one of these slumps at 11k, 9k, and 8k, so hopefully I'll get another epiphany and start blazing through my games soon.

Attached are a few of my recent games.

He played an interesting opening, and I thought i was disadvantageous in the beginning but I managed to reduce his territory well enough.

Got wrecked against the sanrensei in this one.

Pretty comfortable win in this one.

As for problems, I went back to blitzing some easy problems (GGPB Vol 2 and 3) and a few problems that my friend assigned me on gochild. After this, I plan on just doing more of the LCH series.

Attachments:
Galetier-hl782.sgf [5.22 KiB]
Downloaded 758 times
piccolo2-hl782.sgf [2.59 KiB]
Downloaded 861 times
sakuno-hl782.sgf [2.09 KiB]
Downloaded 776 times

Post #162 Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:00 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 187
hl782 wrote:
Got wrecked against the sanrensei in this one.

Yup. Your overall opening and level of technique seem too basic.

:b11: Why is it that your overall position lacks the scale of White's? Consider that about now you seem to start thinking about consolidation.

:b15: Given just one chance to invade, I'd play O3. The right can be invaded at R12. Also you might want to play P13 to reinforce your long extension.

:b19: This kind of play is no good.

:b25: 123 principle says you omit the atari.

:w68: Looks like White is ahead.

One basic framework principle: if you can, do the heavy fighting deep in the opponent's area.

Post #163 Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:13 pm 
Lives in gote

A pretty good start for me in August - I'm winning often and having fun with alot of my games.

Attached is a game I played a few days ago - one of the best games I've played so far! Particularly sweet because i think i lost to this guy a total of 3 times before i played this one.

One thing is for certain though - 6ks are hard to match up against than 7-8ks. I feel that my technique amd overall gameplay is too basic, and i havent had a big epiphany yet like i had when i faced my previous slumps. I wonder when that will come!?

Attachments:
toyama-hl782.sgf [4.46 KiB]
Downloaded 748 times

Post #164 Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:49 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
You outplayed the 6k on technical, tactical and strategical level. I don't know if that's enough for an epiphany but I'd say, continue to walk that path.

All the goodies mentioned in the comments aside, I have one major remark and a few exercises for you in this game.

Major remark:
:b61: Keep playing simple moves when ahead (see comments)

Exercises:
:b89: Black to stay connected
:w100: White to live

Solutions later, if you decided to solve those and post them here.

Last edited by Knotwilg on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: hl782

Post #165 Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:20 am 
Lives in gote

hl782 wrote:
I feel that my technique amd overall gameplay is too basic, and i havent had a big epiphany yet like i had when i faced my previous slumps. I wonder when that will come!?

That was quite a reasonable game, against a fairly unreasonable opponent.

You know something about fighting. Incrementally, you need to pay attention to placing your stones slightly better. Otherwise seems fine to me.

This post by Charles Matthews was liked by 2 people: hl782, Knotwilg

Post #166 Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:56 pm 
Lives in gote

Lesson 1 - Never play go after wine. Does you absolutely no good.

The drinks aside though, I think these next two games show the exactly the games that I need to stop playing - always following around the opponent; fearing cuts; playing passive; getting killed - in the end left with nothing. I need to learn how to resist, how to get sente back (or how to never lose it in the first place), and how to push forward.

Going to read kageyama again to brush up on this topic.

Any detailed advice on these two games would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
plm741-hl782.sgf [3.77 KiB]
Downloaded 734 times
mitio663-hl782.sgf [4.33 KiB]
Downloaded 745 times

Post #167 Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:04 pm 
Oza

I made a careful review of the previous one and trimmed it down to exercises at the appropriate places.
I won't review wine games. What will you learn from that?

Post #168 Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:33 pm 
Lives in gote

Knotwilg wrote:
I made a careful review of the previous one and trimmed it down to exercises at the appropriate places.
I won't review wine games. What will you learn from that?

Oh no worries, i am still thinking about those exercises! As for the wine games... even if it was a wine game i felt that those games truly highlighted all aspects of my weak points in baduk - hence my asking for a review of them. haha. I can learn from every game - wine or not ;)

here are my solutions to the exercises!

Attachments:
toyama-hl782.sgf [4.58 KiB]
Downloaded 745 times

Post #169 Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:55 am 
Oza

Sorry for my last reply - I was in a bad mood.

Your solution to the connection exercise is of course correct. It's a very interesting issue, I've written a page on my Sensei's blog about it. I think I would have made the same mistake as you in an online game and I'm intrigued as to why this is so. I hypothesize that we have a physical urge to block someone else, while in Go and oriental martial arts you need to be agile so as to give way to the opponent and use their energy against them, as in the correct solution here. Maintaining good form (straight connections) should be the first instinct, not blocking with force.

See http://senseis.xmp.net/?DieterVerhofsta ... ornVsAgile

In the L&D exercise, I would simply respond to the atari by connecting the stone. There's nothing actually and White self destructed in the game by believing there was.

Post #170 Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:38 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Some comments on the two games:

Attachments:
mitio663-hl782.sgf [5.69 KiB]
Downloaded 723 times
plm741-hl782.sgf [5.66 KiB]
Downloaded 693 times

This post by skydyr was liked by: hl782

Post #171 Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:51 am 
Oza

You know, even if you hadn't told me, I would have known from a move like :b55: in that first game that you had been drinking. That or another kind of intoxication. Those two stones are absolutely worthless as they connect nothing, cut nothing, surround nothing, threaten nothing, in short they do nothing at all except for being there. Putting those stones in atari is saying "Beware, I might take two stones and make one point of territory with two moves." And this in the middle game, where an open top side can be invaded.

You played and published a very good game with lots of things to learn from. This one will only tell you that you become 10 stones weaker when drinking. A good lesson for sure but not one that needs diagrams.

Cheers (but not too many ...)

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: hl782

Post #172 Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:32 pm 
Lives in gote

hl782 wrote:
Going to read kageyama again to brush up on this topic.

Oddly enough, I only remember one thing from Kageyama. The business about how, if you think you can't read out a straight-line sequence, you are probably wrong. I even forget exactly how he puts that.

I suppose I should resist calling this "Sakata for dummies", for several reasons. A couple being that it is half a century since Sakata peaked. Another is that I think Sakata-worship is a false trail for most amateurs. But he was stronger than Kageyama, for sure.

Post #173 Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:49 pm 
Lives in gote

hl782 wrote:
Any detailed advice on these two games would be greatly appreciated.

Game 1.

:b17: is the wrong direction since White is strong and low on this side. N4 is better.

You recover somewhat. After :w54: there is an attack with N9 and P10, and you shouldn't delay it.

:b73: shouldn't be at 3-3. This is a time for E18, which at least would make White think and count hard.

Game 2.

:b41: is too soft. Try K16. The black corner is about to die as the L-group. You must at least try to surround White.

This post by Charles Matthews was liked by: hl782

Post #174 Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:12 pm 
Lives in gote

Charles Matthews wrote:
I suppose I should resist calling this "Sakata for dummies", for several reasons. A couple being that it is half a century since Sakata peaked. Another is that I think Sakata-worship is a false trail for most amateurs. But he was stronger than Kageyama, for sure.

My baduk idols are lee sedol and my dad! hehe ;)

Here is a game I played today - this might be the 1st half point win I have ever experienced. I think ive had had a few half point losses, and win by komi as white - but never a half point win as black. This was a thrill to play. Though I was surprised that it came so close because I was rather sure that after the cut i made at O13, i was ahead by 8-12 points or so...

My comments are included. Any reviews or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments:
GinuMarcu-hl782.sgf [6.57 KiB]
Downloaded 692 times

Post #175 Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:10 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 36
Was liked: 14
KGS: 1.Dan
OGS: 4k
Universal go server handle: Celebrir
It is midnight for me, so I'm a bit sleepy but is the white move at H3 really needed? I can't see anything so this seems to be the loosing move? :shock:

Post #176 Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:56 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 253
Was liked: 105
I think :b13: & :b15: were slow. My intuition for :b13: is N4.

With that said, :w16: was abysmal. Yes, contacting it was incorrect because white (should) treat it lightly and you should of course attack it.

White is happy after :w18: and :b19: looks pointless, but

:w20: is the worst move so far (very heavy, doesn't gain anything).

Your :b21: was a bad tenuki. I think black needs to pincer white right now. Pincers to look at : J4? J3? H4? K4 should also be investigated.

White has two weak and heavy groups, black has none. Your game move was a pre-emptive defense against someone who has two critical injuries.

Post #177 Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:49 pm 
Lives in gote

7 games, 6 losses - 5 terrible mistakes. Just unbelievable - at a loss of words with myself. Maybe im fatigued from overworking.. idk. ill take a few days off from the game and come back stronger.

Update - 9 losses out of 10 now. Thought maybe it was a 1 day thing. seems not. most definitely taking a couple days off from the game.

Last edited by hl782 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #178 Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:53 am 
Oza

The wine games don't count. So that's 4 losses in 5 games, which is too small a sample to make for a fair statistic. The win was very convincing and as such a reference game. Pick up that game again, review it and move on from there.

Post #179 Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:42 am 
Lives in gote

hl782 wrote:
Any reviews or comments would be greatly appreciated!

So now you are trying to win by playing safe.

:b21: needs to be at or around H3 to punish White, who has played heavily. Note that this lower side area turns into White's big territory later. Undeserved.

Judging by your opponents, you are now at 6 kyu level. Your endgame needs to improve.

Post #180 Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:10 pm 
Lives in gote

It's been 5 Days since the disastrous 9 ranked-game losing streak. Within those 5 days, I also had the flu and played some flu games, wine games, and a bunch of other experimental free games trying to figure out where i was going wrong/holding me back from improvement. These games were all garbage, but I did learn something. Something clicked. Here's what I've learned.

1) The biggest problem for me was always trying to play the most severe moves. Always going for a kill. These moves tended to leave me with plenty of bad aji that my opponents would pounce on - had I failed to actually execute the kill properly. I realized its better to just remove an opponent's base, make it weak, and chase it around everywhere making profit all over the board - then realize I have a 20pt lead and just cruise along to victory.

2) I was terrible at utilizing thickness. I would play FROM my thickness, in an effort to build territory - but I realized that's just terrible efficiency. I now know I need to bait them in, and let them suffocate and live on the inside if they choose to invade. Of course, I still feel uncomfortable doing this because I know that If they do live... they are getting taking alot of territory away from me - but i realize its better than playing less efficient moves that are slow in development.

3) When someone invaded my territory, I used to think - oh man there goes half my territory. But, now i realized that by invading, my opponent is creating a weak group for me to target. Using this, and point #1 above, I realized that If i can make more profit from attacking the weak group than the territory i lost, getting invaded isn't that bad after all.

4) Big Points. I was pretty bad at playing big moves - this also severely hampered my development of stones. I think keeping the proverb 'corner->side->center' truly helps me remember the importance of this topic.

But of course, my game is nowhere near what I want it to be. Here's the stuff I need to work on.

1) My endgame is garbage. I think the only thing I know is sente vs gote and the reverse sente on the edge thats worth like 8 points. lol. I need to work on some endgame tesujis or something.

2) I am still awful at invading and settling my groups. Idk when the proper timing is to invade, and if I do - i usually die :) This needs work!

3) Not keeping sente and following my opponent around everywhere. I sometimes play games against my opponents as if I am their pet dog or something... enough said.

4) DDK Moments. Sometimes I have my moments of brilliance in the zone where I play like a 5-3k, then i have my stupid moments where I misread easy situations, and im either cut, or left with a dead group. These need to go.

5) My attitude. Over the past 4-5 days, I played around 30 games and lost about 24-25. Of course, half of them were experimental/wine/flu games but nevertheless - while I was playing them... I wasn't having fun.

Last edited by hl782 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next