It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why do some people never reach shodan
Post #61 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:54 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 94
Was liked: 53
GD Posts: 54
People's dragons are getting chopped up left and right over here. If this keeps happening, there isn't likely to be a clear winner. I think John and Kirby should settle this on the Go board. :rambo:

Quote:
Robert has a very nice and IMO powerful mnemonic for all this, and he phrased it succinctly with just one verb.

Edited in response to Ed's edit:
Evaluate?

Visit >>>Koosh's Study Journal<<<

Post #62 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:04 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
...I see no problem in saying that tenuki to play sente during the endgame is good "fighting spirit".

But from long experience (much longer than yours) I do see a problem.

Why is it a problem? Keeping in mind the option to tenuki to play sente during endgame is a good thing, and I don't think that Knotwilg misunderstood the concept.

I know you like to educate us on Japanese words, but correction should happen if they've said something that's incorrect.

What did Knotwilg say that was incorrect? Do you think he misunderstands what "fighting spirit" is?

I'm not trying to troll. I just don't agree with "correcting" people when there is no misunderstanding.

Post #63 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:05 pm 
Honinbo

Koosh wrote:
I think John and Kirby should settle this on the Go board. :rambo:

Sure. :-)

Post #64 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:16 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Hi guys,

Over the years I've come to deliberately avoid Japanese terms because we always got into quarrels (on Sensei's Library) about what they meant. English terms have the advantage that we all know what they mean. It may be that fighting spirit has been used to translate kiai, but doesn't entirely capture the meaning or its essence. We had lengthy and in my opinion fruitless discussions about "thickness" until John I believe once settled it with explaining atsumi, atsusa and atsui. Still I needed to make mental images that were captured by terms like global thickness, local thickness and thick plays.

Anyhow ... before this ramifies again in all sorts of Japanese terms and their presumed translations, I said "fighting spirit" and what I meant by it was what most of us will understand by it, which may or may not equate to "kiai", I have no way of feeling whether it does because I don't speak the language. I know that, if you do, you can feel (sense?) things like that. For example, I speak Portuguese and the infamous "saudade", although it translates to my native "weemoed", hasn't entirely the same meaning. How to know "saudade"? By immersing in Portuguese culture. For my fellow countrymen who don't, "weemoed" will have to do.

Anyhow ... I said.

Fighting spirit embodies:
- not accepting defeat and finding ways to come back
- not expecting easy victory and keep putting pressure on the opponent
- critically assessing the opponent's play, in particular whether it should be answered (see how I avoid "sente")
- sometimes even deliberately ignoring his play in order to get the (mental) upper hand (see how I avoid "tenuki")
- not backing off in a fight because you don't know what will happen if you continue while backing off shows a clear loss
- overall the willingness to confront the opponent head on and not just desire either a cruising victory or a shameful loss

In the example game, there are a number of plays which I consider to display fighting spirit, at my level. Surely at a higher level some of those will be considered reckless or foolish, not fighting spirit.

In the mentioned sequence neither player was following the other one's sente (hard to aovid :)) but tried to squeeze out the maximum profit before answering. When analyzing it, I found we both did correctly so. It was good fighting spirit, I believe.

Last edited by Knotwilg on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by 2 people: daal, dfan

Post #65 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:17 pm 
Honinbo

Knotwilg wrote:
When analyzing it, I found we both did correctly so. It was good fighting spirit, I believe.

Agree!

Post #66 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:52 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Knotwilg wrote:
Over the years I've come to deliberately avoid Japanese terms because we always got into quarrels (on Sensei's Library) about what they meant. English terms have the advantage that we all know what they mean.

English terms have the advantage that we all think that we know what they mean.

There. Fixed that for ya. :mrgreen:

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: hyperpape

Post #67 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:01 pm 
Oza

Bill Spight wrote:
Knotwilg wrote:
Over the years I've come to deliberately avoid Japanese terms because we always got into quarrels (on Sensei's Library) about what they meant. English terms have the advantage that we all know what they mean.

Well, at least those who have it as their second language are not as handicapped with respect to the native speakers as those who have not a single notion of Japanese vs those who lived there or studied the language.

I know, Bill, that the English language has suffered a lot from its abuse by the rest of us. It's not a pretty sight to the native eye I'm sure. But I'm also quite confident that the cultural differences are not big enough for your "influence" to hide a different mental picture than my "invloed" or your "fighting spirit" to be different than my ... "fighting spirit" because that's what we tend to use nowadays. Of course, I'm not entirely sure you see the same yellow as I do, but let me end this right here.

Post #68 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:33 pm 
Honinbo

Knotwilg wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Knotwilg wrote:

Well, at least those who have it as their second language are not as handicapped with respect to the native speakers as those who have not a single notion of Japanese vs those who lived there or studied the language.

I know, Bill, that the English language has suffered a lot from its abuse by the rest of us. It's not a pretty sight to the native eye I'm sure.

Not what I had in mind. More just the inherent ambiguities of language, even among native speakers :) As for go terminology, I am sure that we will eventually evolve one in English, even as the Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese have done. But, just as we have adopted finesse in bridge from French and Zugzwang in chess from German, I expect that we will adopt terms in go from Korean, Japanese, and Chinese. :) And that these terms may not mean the same as they do for native speakers. :mrgreen:

Visualize whirled peas.

Post subject:
Post #69 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:36 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Koosh,
Nope. :)

Post #70 Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:02 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Bill Spight wrote:
Knotwilg wrote:

This may generally be true, but in this case, Knotwilg explained what he meant when he used the term "fighting spirit." If we are interested in a concept and how it relates to go as opposed to jumping into the rabbit hole of what words really and truly mean, then it might be better to focus on that.

The 5k wondering why he can't reach 1d notices when he reads John's explanation of kiai and Knotwilg's explanation of "fighting spirit," that a deficit in his play has become clearer, and for present purposes, that's what matters.

Is it better for someone to not understand a word at all, or to grasp part of its meaning? I for one realize that when I watch stronger players, that they often make an effort to save stones that I simply would have abandoned. I know you (Bill) like sacrificing, (and this post is not directed against you, but rather against drowning an issue in quibbling), but I'm realizing that my sacrifices are often unnecessary, so it's probably adequate to point out wimpy play.

Post subject: Re:
Post #71 Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:41 am 
Oza

EdLee wrote:
Hi Koosh,
Nope. :)

You have succeeded in getting us to think about it, but now I just feel teased... (I remember something like LAKE but I don't recall what it means, or if that's what you are referring to...)

Post #72 Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:50 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 83
KGS: Pio2001
Knotwilg wrote:
- critically assessing the opponent's play, in particular whether it should be answered (see how I avoid "sente")
- sometimes even deliberately ignoring his play in order to get the (mental) upper hand (see how I avoid "tenuki")
- not backing off in a fight because you don't know what will happen if you continue while backing off shows a clear loss
- overall the willingness to confront the opponent head on and not just desire either a cruising victory or a shameful loss

Hi Knotwilg,
Do you think that all these are related to positional judgement ? Positional judgement has had been my problem once, when I was stuck around 10 kyu kgs. A french book dedicated to it and to the global strategy that follows (reduce or invade if you are late, defend if you are ahead etc.) allowed me to break the barrier and rise to 7 kyu.

I see that there is nearly no books about it in english. I've got Robert Jasiek's first book about it, but it is mostly about the right way of counting, rather than about global strategy. And the only review I read of Lee Chang-Ho's book didn't seem very excited about it.

Today, I've been stuck at 6 kyu KGS for 6 months in spite of a lot of work and study. I feel that I have improved a lot in many aspects of the game, but my win/loss rate doesn't change. I am currently wondering if positional judgement is not, again, the lock that prevents everything I'm learning from being useful.

Post #73 Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:59 am 
Oza

Pio2001 wrote:
Knotwilg wrote:

Hi Knotwilg,
Do you think that all these are related to positional judgement ? Positional judgement has had been my problem once, when I was stuck around 10 kyu kgs. A french book dedicated to it and to the global strategy that follows (reduce or invade if you are late, defend if you are ahead etc.) allowed me to break the barrier and rise to 7 kyu.

I see that there is nearly no books about it in english. I've got Robert Jasiek's first book about it, but it is mostly about the right way of counting, rather than about global strategy. And the only review I read of Lee Chang-Ho's book didn't seem very excited about it.

Today, I've been stuck at 6 kyu KGS for 6 months in spite of a lot of work and study. I feel that I have improved a lot in many aspects of the game, but my win/loss rate doesn't change. I am currently wondering if positional judgement is not, again, the lock that prevents everything I'm learning from being useful.

I would say that "fighting spirit" is mostly about a state of mind. I believe that for many of us, to play up to our level of understanding, we need to be in the right state of mind when playing. This goes both ways: start a game when we have that state of mind and when we play, try to get into that state of mind. We also need to develop the technique of time management and the discipline to use our time and the opponent's time. Thirdly, we must learn how to avoid blunders and keep up the concentration, especially in the later stages of the game, which I call "focus". I believe John's kiai is about "my" fighting spirit and focus.

Positional judgment is definitely one of the next assets to improve but it is one which continues to improve as we learn more about go (which isn't true about fighting spirit, time management or the ability to focus, which is why I take those first).

Aspects of positional judgment:
- where are my weak groups (and need defending)
- where are my opponent's weak groups (and can be attacked)
- which positions are strong (and should be stayed away from)
- who has the initiative (and how to keep or steal it)
- where's the lingering potential (aji) in settled positions (and should I take advantage of them now or later)
- who has more territory
- who has influence in which direction
- who's ahead

Positional judgment will teach you where to play next in the current position. Technique will tell you what the most commone moves are for that purpose. Tactics will allow you to read out variations and positional judgment will again enable you to choose among those.

There's a book by Cho Chikun called positional judgment but it's more like a way to count potential territory.

Instead I recommend pro game commentaries, such as Relentless. Those are full of the abovementioned evaluations.

Territory
One aspect of PJ that made me stronger is a better understanding of what territory is. We amateurs tend to think of territory as surrounded area, period. However, some of our mentally surrounded areas are really sketched out potential territories, or weakly surrounded areas or invadable, killable spaces behind a chain of stones. Real territory is "an area where I can safely put down stones under all conditions, which will live, unless I fill the last two eyes of cours; and likewise my opponent's stones, if they come there, will die without any doubt".

When potential territories are transformed into real territories, through forcing moves or as a result of invasions or reductions, we amateurs tend to see this as some kind of loss, while it is really a gain. Conversely, we tend to think of unsollicited "making" territory as a gain, while it is really a loss, because the opponent will do something bigger in the meantime.

Post #74 Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 38
Reason why you won't reach x rank is because you are looking for shortcuts.

In order to not get stuck until you reach your limit is to study everything.

- Joseki
- Fuseki
- Life & Death problems
- Tesuji problems
- Good shapes
- Deep reading (long ladder problems)
- General strategy (fundementals, how to attack for profit etc.)
- Positional judgement
- Counting
- Endgame
- Study pro games
- Play fast games
- Play slow games
- Review your own games
- Kibitzing other amateurs

If you do some of these but not the others you are bound to get stuck at some point. It is best to do all of those when you feel like doing it, so don't force yourself. And most important of all do not care about your rank since it is not a real representation of your strength and will most likely go up and down as you play this game.
Remember that even if something is not fun force yourself and maybe it will become fun.

This post by Krama was liked by: Waylon

Post #75 Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:40 pm 
Oza

Krama wrote:
Reason why you won't reach x rank is because you are looking for shortcuts.

Doesn't everybody look for shortcuts?

Krama wrote:
In order to not get stuck until you reach your limit is to study everything.

In other words, if you do everything you can, you will get as strong as you can get. Obviously. That's not the issue though. The issue is why do some people not find a way, despite doing what they see as their best, to reach a level where you are considered by the go world to be competent. You say study everything and don't look for shortcuts? I say virtually nobody does that - but some of them reach dan level and some never do.

Post #76 Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:01 pm 
Lives in gote

For my part, I blame fatigue. Playing properly requires time and work. I'm too tired to work so much.
I'm 41, and playing like I was 21 requires twice the work, now.

Post #77 Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:20 pm 
Honinbo

daal wrote:
You say study everything and don't look for shortcuts? I say virtually nobody does that - but some of them reach dan level and some never do.

Well, I studied pretty much everything, though my favorite study is pro games. (Which have everything, BTW. :D) When I was 12 I was ill for several weeks. I checked out Goren's Contract Bridge Complete from the local library and devoured it. I also studied Sheinwold's Winning Bridge in 30 Days (IIRC). When I was 4 kyu I got two series of books aimed at kyu players, Sakata's Killer of Go series and Takagawa's Go Reader; I also bought all of the Nihon Kiin's small books on basics. Later on I got most of the "Dictionary" set published in the 1970s and Sakata's six volume set aimed at dan players, the Sakata no Go series. :)

As for shortcuts, why not? :D

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #78 Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:51 pm 
Oza

Bill Spight wrote:
daal wrote:
You say study everything and don't look for shortcuts? I say virtually nobody does that - but some of them reach dan level and some never do.

Well, I studied pretty much everything,
The exception proves the rule :) (FWIW, I've also studied everything on Krama's list, though I haven't exhaustively studied anything.)

Post #79 Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:39 am 
Lives in gote

- Joseki : I think I'm correct. As soon as I play 2 or 3 stones handicap games with white, I'm usually able to punish one or two joseki mistakes from my opponents.
- Fuseki : I was strong when I was 9 kyu. Maybe it's time for me to reread Opening Theory Made Easy and In the Beginning.
- Life & Death problems : I started only recently. I need very easy problems. I'm currently in Graded Go Problems for Beginners 2.
- Tesuji problems : I hate that... but there are some in GGPFB, and also a few in 100 Tips for Amateurs. But usually, I find as many tesuji as my opponents during my games.
- Good shapes : I think I'm not bad. Just right for my level. I can sometimes see bad shapes in my opponent's moves.
- Deep reading (long ladder problems) : arg ! I can't read complicated ladders. All I can do is taking advantage of breakers, or shift a ladder. I can't make a ladder change direction, for example.
- General strategy (fundementals, how to attack for profit etc.) : I love attacking. As soon as my opponent has the slightest weakness, I unleash the flames of hell on his stones ! But I must restrain myself from trying to kill and just be happy with an advantage in the game.
- Positional judgement : During middle game, I can estimate the balance with an accuracy of 15 points, I'd say.
- Counting : I always count endgame moves.
- Endgame : I'm usually better than my opponents. I can't believe the mistakes they do.
- Study pro games : oops ! What is that ? I don't even watch commentaries of pro games :sad: ...except the 5 games of AlphaGo. I watched commentaries from Michael Redmond, Motoki Noguchi and Haylee.
- Play fast games : for years, my win/loss rate at 10 minutes games on kgs, against opponents the same rank as me (I play 25 min games usually), was 1/9. Oddly enough, I have become better at that. Now it's the opposite. I'm better at 10 min games than at 25 !
- Play slow games : I miss really slow games (1 hour / player). I only play 2 of them per month, at the club.
- Review your own games : I do that. But I should submit more of my games to be reviewed by stronger players. The last time must have been 2 months ago.
- Kibitzing other amateurs : what's kibitzing ?

Post #80 Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:57 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 38
Open KGS or tygem and just watch the most popular game there. Talk with people, ask questions and so on while the 2 players play. Maybe you find something interesting and pull up a board and check a variation someone missed.

Kibitzing = watching other games but live.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next