It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New German go book
Post #1 Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:06 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
I have just received a packet containing author's copies of a new book from German publisher Brett & Stein. It's a translation of my small book "Peerless Pioneer" (commentaries on a few games by the Great Senchi, Yasui VII Senkaku - pioneer of the modern style).

I'm mentioning it partly to celebrate a paper publisher bucking the trend (there'll be a wee drappie in oor e'e the nicht), but also because I know there are several go-book collectors out there who might be interested.

For the latter, it seems worth mentioning too that Brett und Stein appear also to have an English language offshoot (www.boardnstones.com - new to me; why haven't L19 members mentioned it?) and there appears to be a new publication there (in English): "The Elephant in the Paddy - Tsumego in Pictures" by Hase Izumi. From the flyer it looks very interesting. Production values at B&S seem to be very high, also. Gunnar Dickfeld is the man to pat on the back.

The main B&S site is www.brett-und-stein.de

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Charlie

Post subject: Re: New German go book
Post #2 Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:56 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 126
The English books are also listed on the German site: http://www.brett-und-stein.de/03-Go_Bue ... glisch.php

Post #3 Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:30 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
I don't think that Brett und Stein have ever advertised their products here, which is a bit of a pity. It is nice to learn about new books becoming available, but I suppose that with their focus being on German titles http://www.dgob.de/yabbse/index.php?PHP ... board=11.0 should be their destination of choice.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:13 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 120
Was liked: 157
John Fairbairn,

May I use this thread to ask if you have any plans for more translations of commentaries by Kato Shin? I thoroughly enjoyed your "Peerless Pioneer" and would gladly buy anything similar. Kato's commentaries and their "lightness of touch" were very enlightening as well as entertaining.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:17 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
May I use this thread to ask if you have any plans for more translations of commentaries by Kato Shin? I thoroughly enjoyed your "Peerless Pioneer" and would gladly buy anything similar. Kato's commentaries and their "lightness of touch" were very enlightening as well as entertaining.

I agree about Kato. Thank you.

I have almost finished a massive book on old go which uses some commentaries by Kato, as well as many others (almost 100 games) as well as what I see as an exciting new commentary technique.

Whether it sees the light of day depends on various things. One is whether CreateSpace can accept the diagrams at sufficient dpi quality. I probably couldn't face doing all those diagrams and/or page design again in another package. Another is whether I judge the AI surge has reduced interest in old go and old commentaries. At present I think it probably has, in which case the huge work of editing the finished book doesn't seem appealing - on the other hand, if there is a sudden increase in demand for doorsteps, this book could find a second use :)

And even though I say "almost finished" (95%), I have to work at a snail's pace or give something else up in go. I will also keep the precise subject matter under wraps for the time being.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 2 people: ez4u, sorin

Post #6 Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:31 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 120
Was liked: 157
Thank you for this (tantalising :-)) answer. I hope the book will see the light of day!