It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go Magic Project (official discussion)
Post #1 Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:12 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
Hello everyone!

We are developing a new educational platform for learning Go.

Key features:
1. Interactive courses.
2. Partner program.
3. Gamification.

Check it out — GOMAGIC.ORG

Watch the video, discuss, spread the word and if possible give us some feedback. All of your suggestions and ideas are welcome!

Cheers

This post by keysersoze was liked by 2 people: proskurius, Zenity

Post subject: Re: Go Magic Project (official discussion)
Post #2 Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:42 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Fundamentally, one stop shops are a dead end in the Internet era. People are finding an enormous amount of quality content for free. Unless you are a professional go player offering teaching, there is no way of competing on quality content, let alone if you make people pay for it. Either you find yourself a niche, or a framework that gives a particular access or binding to all that available content.

Secondly and most importantly, you talk a lot of meta, promising it will be great but we don't get to know how exactly it will be great. Show, don't tell. Right now it looks like a shiny but empty box.

Paul Graham says: start-ups will only succeed if they make something people want. Do you know what your target audience wants?
- one frustration of people is that they don't easily find games; a supra-server could solve that
- another frustration online is that opponents are anti-soial; can you make something online that mimics the cozy atmosphere of a real club?
- the abundance of material may be a concern: where to start? I think your "USP/mission" comes closest to this, but it's not clear how

Your marketing includes part of your strategy, like "automation". Automation can be a good strategic measure, but it's not exactly a compelling marketing argument. Or "gamification". I don't want to be gamified. And gamifying a game sounds pointless.

On a minor note, in the introduction video, Vadim underlines every syllable with a hand gesture. Hard to watch.

Bottom line: Why would anyone care? What's the immediate value? What can I do NOW that I can't do elsewhere? Except ... "my first move" = paying!

On the upside: you seem to have a lot of enthusiasm and a great web developer. Good luck.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: Calvin Clark

Post #3 Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:57 am 
Beginner

Knotwilg wrote:
Fundamentally, one stop shops are a dead end in the Internet era. People are finding an enormous amount of quality content for free. Unless you are a professional go player offering teaching, there is no way of competing on quality content, let alone if you make people pay for it. Either you find yourself a niche, or a framework that gives a particular access or binding to all that available content.

Secondly and most importantly, you talk a lot of meta, promising it will be great but we don't get to know how exactly it will be great. Show, don't tell. Right now it looks like a shiny but empty box.

Paul Graham says: start-ups will only succeed if they make something people want. Do you know what your target audience wants?
- one frustration of people is that they don't easily find games; a supra-server could solve that
- another frustration online is that opponents are anti-soial; can you make something online that mimics the cozy atmosphere of a real club?
- the abundance of material may be a concern: where to start? I think your "USP/mission" comes closest to this, but it's not clear how

Your marketing includes part of your strategy, like "automation". Automation can be a good strategic measure, but it's not exactly a compelling marketing argument. Or "gamification". I don't want to be gamified. And gamifying a game sounds pointless.

On a minor note, in the introduction video, Vadim underlines every syllable with a hand gesture. Hard to watch.

Bottom line: Why would anyone care? What's the immediate value? What can I do NOW that I can't do elsewhere? Except ... "my first move" = paying!

On the upside: you seem to have a lot of enthusiasm and a great web developer. Good luck.

Hello and thank you for your feedback.

This current landing page was mostly made to tell the world that we are working on this massive undertaking and hopefully get some people interested in helping with this in one way or another, because we are a very small team right now.

You're right, there is a lot of free content out there these days but in many cases it lacks a motivational element, it's hard for a beginner player to stay focused when watching countless 40-minute lectures. And this is where we hope gamification might help. Not gamifying the game itself, but the learning process to make it more fun and upbeat.

Even though this video was clearly meant for people who are already familiar with the game, our primary target audience will be people who want to learn the rules of Go and complete beginners. Certainly we hope that some time later we'll have lectures for dan level players as well.

As for "show, don't tell" part, we're working on it. As soon as we have something for people to try out, we'll share it with the whole community.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:10 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
Have a look at project euler.

I learned more about math and programming at project euler than on any other programming gamification site.

Good Idea to provide a gamification platform for Baduk.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:44 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Gamification is easy to introduce in life-and-death or tesuji problems. I would be curious to know how other aspects can be gamified.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:52 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
10 victories
100 victories
win with >100 points score difference
kill a group
dont kill a group
victory with san ren sei
victory without san ren sei
victory in a handycap game
analyse a game with bot x
chat with an opponent
write a forum post
submit a gamification proposal
pay 10 bucks on our account
;-) :twisted:

Post #7 Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:27 pm 
Beginner

We are still working on the beta and in the meantime we've started a small series of videos about the magic of Go.
The future Go Magic course videos will look similar visually.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ER9V81pG6F

Suggestions are welcome as always. :study:

Post #8 Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:39 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 270
Was liked: 147
Universal go server handle: gennan
Knotwilg wrote:

I agree, but I actually see this a lot in American educational vidoes on Youtube in recent years. I got used to it a little bit, so I'm now able to watch such videos until the end.