Post subject: WT:social, A Social Network Focused on Facts + Collaboration
Post #1 Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:51 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Good day,

WT:social is a new social network, created by Jimmy Wales (of Wikipedia fame), focused on news and collaboration.

I’ve created a group there, “Baduk (Go, Weiqi), The Strategic Board Game”, please click the link below if you want to join.
NOTE: It’s all still rudimentary there, and I don’t know whether you’ll immediately be able to join (i.e. bypass the long waiting list).

—> https://wt.social/gi/thomas-rohde/baduk-go-weiqi-the-strategic-board-game/82am

I’ve already added a few Go-related posts, which, as I understand, are editable by everybody—or perhaps only by members of the group? I’m not sure, as I’m also new to it. But I thought it’s good to be there early and create some topic-specific content.

From the front page (only visible when not logged in):

Quote:
Welcome to WT:Social

As social networks have grown, they've also amplified the voices of bad actors across the globe. Fake news has influenced global events, and algorithms care only about "engagement", and keeping people addicted to platforms without substance.

WikiTribune wants to be different.

We will never sell your data. Our platform survives on the generosity of individual donors to ensure privacy is protected and your social space is ad-free.

We will empower you to make your own choices about what content you are served, and to directly edit misleading headlines, or flag problem posts.

We will foster an environment where bad actors are removed because it is right, not because it suddenly affects our bottom-line.

But this will only work with your help. So join today and help change the landscape of social media.

Post subject: Re: WT:social, A Social Network Focused on Facts + Collabora
Post #2 Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:01 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Interesting. From what you said it seems to resemble Wikipedia, everyone can edit everything sort of thing. Perhaps this will reduce the occurrence of the bad things that go on on Facebook, Tweeter, etc.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 208
Was liked: 265
GD Posts: 200
Weird. I like the concept, and would trust Jimmy Wales more than some other people, but ... no way to browse the site (or even read their privacy policy, if they have one) without logging in??? And doesn't seem to have much media coverage, or a mention on reddit, or other things you'd expect from a significant new platform appearing.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:15 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 208
Was liked: 265
GD Posts: 200
OK, the content isn't totally locked down, you can find their recent changes page via a Google search, and the links from that page don't require login. Odd though that you can't get to recent changes from the front page.

Oh, and when I go back to the front page having looked at the baduk page, it puts "baduk" on the front page for me. So yay, they're tracking me already. Need to open a private tab to see the generic welcome page.

I guess it's new. Hopefully will improve over time.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:06 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
It's not exactly new, just re-used: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiTribune

This post by SoDesuNe was liked by: Bonobo

Post #6 Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:35 am 
Oza

SoDesuNe wrote:
It's not exactly new, just re-used: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiTribune

Yup, building on that, as far as I understand.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:56 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
Truly necessary to add another online go community?

Assuming this one adds something sensei’s lacks, would you stop using, visiting, and supporting facebook, Life19, reddit, Sensei’s, wiki, AGA, EGF, &c. So much duplication now.

Post #8 Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:09 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 186
Was liked: 191
I admire Bonobo's advocacy. I think about it more in terms of promoting the game where people are rather than viewing it as a risk of fragmenting the community.

This post by Calvin Clark was liked by: Bonobo

Post #9 Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:23 pm 
Oza

bogiesan wrote:
Truly necessary to add another online go community?

Necessary or not, it is another social network, and it is to be seen whether it can grow, and whether it will be better or worse than what we have now.

In any case, IF it takes off, and IF it is “better” (whatever we may think of as “good”), it will be good to be there early, much the more as it focuses on facts and collaboration, meaning that, like on SL, everybody will be able to edit posts. That are two things that already are better than FB, for example:
  • Focus on facts (as opposed to focus on emotions and inciting and fueling emotions)
  • Collaboration, meaning that we can co-operate on preparing and presenting the information as “good” as possible

Quote:
Assuming this one adds something sensei’s lacks,
What SL lacks is a “shopwindow” to the public, to passers-by, to the mainstream, it is for people who already are so much “insiders” that they know about SL.

Quote:
would you stop using, visiting, and supporting facebook, Life19, reddit, Sensei’s, wiki, AGA, EGF, &c. So much duplication now.

LOL, good question. (And you missed the OGS forum and the German DGoB forum, plus occasionally I post something Go-related on Twitter … and then there was Openbook, which was renamed to Okuna, where I also still sometimes post something about Go ;) And LOL, pluspora, a Diaspora pod in the Fediverse :lol: )

• Wikipedia I rarely use with regard to Go (and I don’t edit there, it scares me), and I only infrequently visit AGA and EGF.
  • r/baduk I read occasionally, sometimes comment, rarely post.
  • Ditto for SL, but I often refer to the latter (have two search URLS in a macro link so I quickly find what I need to refer to)
    Code:
    https://senseis.xmp.net/?search=[Search_Item]&searchtype=title
    https://senseis.xmp.net/?full=[Search_Item]&searchtype=full
  • L19 I cannot leave, NEVER, but there are phases when I’m less active (I’m not really “active” here anyway).
  • And lastly, Facebook. Yes, it’s a painful relationship. I’m mostly there for 2–3 special interests, plus for staying connected with some friends and family. But I’d want to leave it, because it is toxic, never mind how “practical” it is. Google+ looked like a good alternative, but sadly it was shut down. Once I can find a place to serve my special interests best I want to reduce my FB engagement to using it with those friends and family whom I can’t convince to come elsewhere with me. Hey, I’m glad I convinced a few already to move away from evil WhatsApp—but it’s actually more complicated :roll:

You know, I’m not a Go prodigy, sadly, I’m more of a … nexialist, generalist, I have many interests and a vast half-knowledge :lol: I’m a news and documentary junkie, I’m a communicator, I like to be well-informed, and I like to pass on information that I think may be valuable to the recipient :) And I don't rely on Google alone, and certainly not only on the first page of any search results; I follow external links on Wikipedia, and sometimes I compare German and English versions of Wikipedia articles, or even other languages (with automatic translation). Being diagnosed with “ADD”, I’m never sure whether it’s a blessing or a curse.

And yes, one of my motivations for trying out other social networks is that I’m sort of addicted to FB and intend to leave it behind. Also, maybe I shouldn’t have left the big city of Hamburg and moved out into this rural area ~25 years ago where few people “speak my language” and most of my contacts are virtual, because now most of my friends and all of my family are far away.

Calvin Clark wrote:
I admire Bonobo's advocacy. I think about it more in terms of promoting the game where people are rather than viewing it as a risk of fragmenting the community.

Thanks :-) The ’net is for sure only growing, as more and more people join it, and it is getting more complex and diverse, even though the rich corporations try to dominate it, and when I see the chance to help make a promising new branch strong, then I do my best to promote it. Like, telling you folks about that new network, and in the other direction: creating content there so that when new users come there, they can already see “Baduk” trending, promotion in both ways.
Right now there are 21320 members on WT:social, and when you search for “baduk” you find five relevant entries, all in the Sub-Wiki “Baduk (Go, Weiqi), The Strategic Board Game” (I haven’t been too industrious there, just five posts with links to relevant Web sites), which anybody (or perhaps only a Sub-Wiki member) can edit and improve.