It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shin Jinseo
Post #61 Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:04 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
BadukDoctor wrote:
Game Review for his 26th win
[Pro Match] Shin Jinseo is dominating! (Korean Championship for the Best Player)
https://youtu.be/sLZK758BhhU

By the way, I am betting 30.
40 wins are almost impossible :razz: :razz:

But 13 wins is not. We have to take the 27 wins as given. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #62 Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:06 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 30
KGS: 9 dan
Tygem: 9 dan
lichigo wrote:
And 27 wins in a row, I believe the best win in a row is lee changho with 41^^ dear badukdoctor, I am a big fan of Lee changho so hope to see wonderful endgame moves from him. The game against ma xiaochun was wonderful.

There are more actually.
I will put up after the I finish the Shin jinseo winning strike series :lol: :lol: :lol: (Not sure when will he stop winning though.)

This post by BadukDoctor was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #63 Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:31 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Bill Spight wrote:
BadukDoctor wrote:
Game Review for his 26th win
[Pro Match] Shin Jinseo is dominating! (Korean Championship for the Best Player)
https://youtu.be/sLZK758BhhU

By the way, I am betting 30.
40 wins are almost impossible :razz: :razz:

But 13 wins is not. We have to take the 27 wins as given. :)

There is some psychological aspect in play here. Given that there are already 27 wins, we might think of the next 13 as being independent results. But psychologically, there might be some dependance here.

I have a friend that was decently good at basketball, and he was pretty good at free throws. He had gotten something like 23 free throws in a row, but never more than that. He wanted to get 40. I tried helping him out by telling him to just do 10 free throws in a row. And then after he did that, let's just do 10 more. He had no problem with this. And so it went until we got to around 35 free throws. At that point, from his body language, I could tell he knew he was approaching 50, and he screwed up on the 37th shot and missed.

I don't know if Shin Jinseo has a similar feeling about getting, e.g., 40 wins, but there may be some psychological pressure as the streak continues, which could make the goal of getting the next 13 wins a bit more difficult than the first 13 that he won in this streak.

This post by Kirby was liked by 2 people: Bill Spight, silviu22

Post #64 Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:49 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 153
GD Posts: 100
KGS: Tryss
Kirby wrote:
I have a friend that was decently good at basketball, and he was pretty good at free throws. He had gotten something like 23 free throws in a row, but never more than that. He wanted to get 40. I tried helping him out by telling him to just do 10 free throws in a row. And then after he did that, let's just do 10 more. He had no problem with this. And so it went until we got to around 35 free throws. At that point, from his body language, I could tell he knew he was approaching 50, and he screwed up on the 37th shot and missed.

I don't know if Shin Jinseo has a similar feeling about getting, e.g., 40 wins, but there may be some psychological pressure as the streak continues, which could make the goal of getting the next 13 wins a bit more difficult than the first 13 that he won in this streak.

And even if there is no such pressure, it can build over time when people start to expect you to win.

Recently in Judo, Teddy Riner finaly lost after nearly 10 years and 154 fights without defeats. The pressure to beat the record of Yamashita (203 victories) was starting to weight on him. After his defeat, he said that it was kind of relieved, and that this defeat was somehow good for him

Post #65 Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:11 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
I believe the best win in a row is lee changho with 41

Amazing as it is, I'm not sure this is necessarily comparable. Yi Ch'ang-ho's record of 41 was for games in domestic tournaments. Without checking, I think he may have lost an international game to Komatsu Hideki. Kim In's record of 40 may be the "purer" one.

But Yi has a record that I personally think is more impressive because it involves the highest level of opponents in the highest-level tournaments: he won 25 consecutive games with Black in international events. It took Cho Hun-hyeon to end it in 1999. Eat your heart out, Shusaku! Yi did it while giving komi.

In terms of levels of opposition and events, Sakata's record of 29 must also be noted, especially as he also had the best winning ratio in a year (93.8% in 1964). Yi Se-tol's 32 (33 by one account) is nowhere near that in terms of quality of opposition, but at least he packed them into the shortest period: 25 January to 16 May 2000.

I think the longest streak for a newly qualified pro is 11: Ida Atsushi, who qualified in Japan at the end of 2008. (He is now 8-dan, and is married to Mannami Nao, who will be known to quite a few western players).

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: silviu22

Post #66 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:30 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 167
Was liked: 44
After this 27th win, Shin Jinseo's ranking is now 3742 (observed Mar 7th). He seems to have the 2nd best record in term of percentage wins on goratings.org:
1: Park Junghwan 941:670 => 71.2%
2: Shin Jinseo 475:336 => 70.7%
3: Ke Jie 605:423 => 69.9%

By comparison, #4 Mi Yuting has 65.4% wins and #5 Yang Dingxin has 60.7%. Also Lee Sedol's lifetime winning rate is an impressive 1379:917 (66.5%). So there could be other retired players with a better winning rate. (Although it is doubtful, since the rate should decrease as you pass your peak form).

Post #67 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:23 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
There's a twitch stream (https://www.twitch.tv/kimyoonyoung) of Shin Jinseo against Shin Minjun, and Shin Jinseo is in significant trouble early on. He played an uncommon move in the 3-4 press joseki, then a surprising tight pincer, and the resulting fight looks really tough for him.

They each have more than an hour left, so I'll probably not see the end of it.

Post #68 Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:26 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Shin Minjun held on to his lead and ended Shin Jinseo's winning streak.

Post #69 Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:16 am 
Dies with sente

[Pro Match] Godlike! Shin Jinseo's 27th consecutive wins! (Korean Baduk League)
https://youtu.be/LfulmYf0Tko

Post #70 Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:35 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 21
silviu22 wrote:
After this 27th win, Shin Jinseo's ranking is now 3742 (observed Mar 7th)

Actually his current rating before his final loss which end his streak was 3744 not 3742 (good for Shin Jinseo fans i think). After his loss this rating will probably drop a bit.

Post #71 Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:56 am 
Dies with sente

[Review] Shin Jinseo's Killing Spree (28th consecutive win)
https://youtu.be/MFW-QnNLJto

Post #72 Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:16 am 
Lives with ko

Shin Jinseo consecutive win strike ends, but his consecutive rating rise didnt end since today his rating rose to 3735 even though he lost game with Shin Minjun.

Edit: Well, i made mistake, since i thought it was 3735 not 3745, so i thought his rating went up by 1 point, while in reality it went down 9 points.I found it a bit strange that it was as high as 9 points, but i guess thats how WHR rating system works.Looks like he needs about 20 win in a row against pretty strong opposition to get back to his peak rating.

Last edited by AloneAgainstAll on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post #73 Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:06 am 
Dies with sente

[Review] The Nearest Rival - Shin Jinseo vs Shin Minjun
https://youtu.be/qCf6-5bLINA

Post #74 Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:03 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 167
Was liked: 44
AloneAgainstAll wrote:
silviu22 wrote:
After this 27th win, Shin Jinseo's ranking is now 3742 (observed Mar 7th)

Actually his current rating before his final loss which end his streak was 3744 not 3742 (good for Shin Jinseo fans i think). After his loss this rating will probably drop a bit.

Thank you. The ranking that I saw must have been before his 28th win on March 7th. Now we know his highest rank right before the loss that ended the streak (2744). Will be interesting to see if anybody ever tops that.

Post #75 Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:28 pm 
Lives with ko

Actually no - it was updated while Shin Jinseo didnt played any game (his lost game agains Shin Minjun was included into rating about 9 or 10th march, so wasnt included into system). His rating went up probably beacuse players which he won, also won some games so their rating went up makein Shin Jinseo rating going up too.

Post #76 Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:00 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
It seems Shin Minjun beat Shin Jinseo again on March 30 in the Maxim Cup

Post #77 Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:34 pm 
Lives with ko

And this gave him massive loss of 9 rating points (current rating 3730). Or it gave him slight loss of about 2,4 promilles of his rating.

Post #78 Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:54 am 
Lives with ko

Silviu22 must be happy because Shin Jinseo GoRatings rating is currently 3748.

Post #79 Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:23 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
When I saw Shin Jinseo at the Korean baduk League a while back (search the forum for pics) it was a laptop with Lizzie and LZ running remotely.

Antti Tormanen used Master of Go on his iPad when he visited London.

Post #80 Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:54 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
Or what app he (and presumably other professional players) uses - is it Master of Go or some form of remote desktop?

I don't know the specific answer here, but offer some random pointers at to what is going on in Japan.

1. Various pros do use different apps, and I expect each of them will also swap between whatever's available - just like amateurs here. Some time ago I saw a Japanese article which asked various pros which bot they preferred, and there was quite a mix, with (from memory) Elf being preferred by some, but LeelaZero, Ah Q, Golaxy and AlphaGo Teach (which was also the subject of a large book on how to use it) being among others. But the pattern changed and I think only Leela and Golaxy got mentions, until KataGo came along, and now my impression is that this is going to be the favourite.

2. As far as I can recall, mentions of Golaxy are limited to commentaries and may indicate some sort of tie-up behind the scenes which give some newspapers companies access to a machine not otherwise available. That's just my speculation, note. And I also get the impression that referring to AI to boost commentaries may have been a nine day's wonder,

3. The Yugen no Ma server offers games with "the latest AI", which suggests to me they change periodically.

4. What is clear is that Elf no longer gets a mention, and DeepZen disappeared without trace from the very beginning. It's a cruel world!

5. The rush to produce books on AI that we saw post-AlphaGo seem to have died away.

6. Articles on pros' interpretations of changes induced by AI are still flourishing (getting better even?). Shibano Toramaru is still ploughing on with his outstanding weekly look at how fusekis are changing and is no up to Week 67. Kim Sujun is producing a bang up-to-date look at new josekis, Omori Yasushi has a nice series on the new ways to make approach moves, and Ichiriki has been using AI to work on endgames. But none of these mention a specific bot.

I barely follow the Korean and Chinese scenes nowadays, but I would expect a similar pattern applies from what I have looked at.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: jptavan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next