It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

What time works best (choose all times and days of week that work)
Midnight GMT 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
3pm GMT 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
8pm GMT 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Monday 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Tuesday 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Wednesday 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Thursday 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Friday 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject: L19 Virtual Go Club
Post #1 Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:07 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Just a thought... A lot of us on the forums have known one another for quite some time online. But logistically, being from different areas around the globe, we don't really know one another in person.

With all that's happened in 2020, virtual meetings have become not only popular, but a common way to interact at work and at school. And we've even seen it with the recent e-Congress.

I see this as an opportunity to start some sort of L19 Go Club. We could use zoom or whatever, and meet once a week to play go. Online, it's easy to play on servers... But somehow it seems fun to have some sort of personal connection with one another here on L19.

Anyone interested?

This post by Kirby was liked by 2 people: daal, Gomoto

Post subject: Re: L19 Virtual Go Club
Post #2 Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:23 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
Hello Kirby,

I think this is a very good idea in this time. I myself am a bit occupied in one or two areas of life, so probably I could not be part of zoom conferences on a regular schedule. But I am always open for a online game at Pandanet-IGS from time to time if anybody wants to play me instead of a random stranger for a change. Not that I wouldn't be kind of a random stranger too ;-)

Post #3 Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:29 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
I'd certainly like to meet some L19 folks on zoom. As for playing, I've pretty much stopped, but I still visit the forum regularly and I think it would be fun to meet some of the people with whom I've had so many typed conversations over the years...

Post #4 Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:15 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Depends on the schedule, not everyone is in the same timezone. In any case I would be interested in playing against other forum members.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:28 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Well worth a try. As jlt wrote, time zones matter. Pick a scheduled time with good coverage too kick things off. But, it may be possible to settle on a schedule with a couple of alternating times finally. I think it should target social interaction first. That will be a new opportunity for us. It can lead to playing/arranging games on servers, but chatting together on zoom would be a new adventure!

The business faculty where I teach has been "pazooming" (partying on zoom) every other week since we shifted to online classes in March. It works quite well. There is a lot of advice on the net on how to hold social functions using zoom.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:01 pm 
Honinbo

I like the idea of starting out by just socializing. We don't have to play go or anything - can just chat. And of course, folks can play go if they want to.

Anyway, I added some poll options for times that work for me (I'll be selfish, since I made the post :-p). Please feel free to vote, and we can set something up.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:49 pm 
Honinbo

I'll give people until the end of the week to specify preferred times, and will setup a meeting for next week.