It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: GO clubs in London--Your impressions.
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:16 pm 
Lives in gote

Posts: 329
Location: Washington State
Liked others: 248
Was liked: 59
Rank: OGS 11kyu
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
Hello all,

Just wondering who here has played or is a player in London. I should be in the Radlett area in the not too distant future. I know there is a St Alban's GO club which is probably the closest. with a welcoming web page. I would appreciate hearing your impressions of the London GO scene. Any photos would be of interest and possibly not just to me.

_________________
Walla Walla GO Club -(on FB)

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GO clubs in London--Your impressions.
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:31 pm 
Judan

Posts: 6301
Location: Cambridge, UK
Liked others: 362
Was liked: 3426
Rank: UK 4 dan
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
There's a map with clubs and meeting times at http://britgo.org/clubs/map.

I've been to several of them.
- St Albans was probably more than 10 years ago, back then it was in a traditional sort of pub, sometimes there was folk music. Unfortunately long time member and all-round interesting chap Roy died recently so you won't get to meet him.
- London city/central meets at Inn of Court pub in Holborn on Weds and Sat, get some stronger players there.
- London West in the new go centre in Shepherd's Bush. which shares premises with a bridge club under a Sainsbury's. So lots of space and no pub noise.
- South London (Balham) in a pub, not sure if still exists
- North London (Hampstead) in a church community space; went for the first time recently, only 2 people then but I know some others who sometimes go.

There's several uni ones I've not been to.


This post by Uberdude was liked by: goTony
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GO clubs in London--Your impressions.
Post #3 Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:48 pm 
Lives with ko
User avatar

Posts: 176
Liked others: 32
Was liked: 23
Rank: EGF 2k
KGS: MKyle
I usually pop into a go club anytime I'm in London for work (couple of times a year maybe.)

I've only been to:
Wanstead - nice venue and some fairly strong players last time I visited.
West - very nice venue. I think attendance has been patchy in the past but I get the impression that it's better now.
North - there was quite a lot of players last time I went but that was a while ago now.

I've heard that the central club is the one to try.

You will find that keen players go to quite a few across the city on different weeks.


This post by MikeKyle was liked by: goTony
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GO clubs in London--Your impressions.
Post #4 Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:03 pm 
Lives with ko
User avatar

Posts: 283
Liked others: 48
Was liked: 67
Rank: EGF 5k Foxy 2k
I went to Central once, a few years ago. Was staying for a few days in London with work; had some excellent noodles near the hotel I was staying at in Holborn and walked down. There were 5 players only. But, I was informed it was a slow week. Roger was there, man of a thousand shirts. He plays wild opening moves and has nice shape (relatively speaking). He's around 6k EGF. I beat him but not by much. The rest of them I don't remember. I think one player was French and quite strong. I vaguely remember reading that a few recent meetups were cancelled due to the pub being busy over Christmas or something. Might be worth checking that they're back to normal.

_________________
12k: 2015.08.11; 11k: 2015.09.13; 10k: 2015.09.27; 9k: 2015.10.10; 8k: 2015.11.08; 7k: 2016.07.10 6k: 2016.07.24 5k: 2018.05.14 4k: 2018.09.03 3k: who knows?


This post by Jujube was liked by: goTony
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GO clubs in London--Your impressions.
Post #5 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:26 am 
Lives with ko
User avatar

Posts: 176
Liked others: 32
Was liked: 23
Rank: EGF 2k
KGS: MKyle
If someone asks me who my favourite go player is I have to ask them to be more specific! A part of my brain goes to Go Seigen, Lee Sedol, Cho Chikun, but a part of my brain definitely goes to Roger Daniel.

I have noticed that he likes 10-3 as an opening move and it seems like he is good at leveraging the fact that he knows more about the merits of playing 10-3 early on that typical players around his strength. He ruthlessly takes you away from typical fuseki and joseki knowledge you may lean on and drags you into a game that he feels more comfortable with. There are no Hamete (as far as I've seen) just imaginative unconventional moves.

If you are close to his strength I would recommend seeking out a game with him as he may test different skills than your typical opponent.


This post by MikeKyle was liked by: goTony
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GO clubs in London--Your impressions.
Post #6 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:07 pm 
Lives in gote

Posts: 318
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Liked others: 124
Was liked: 158
Rank: Australian 2 dan
GD Posts: 200
Thanks for all the info! I might also be in London for a few days during the northern hemisphere summer, dates yet to be confirmed.


This post by xela was liked by: goTony
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GO clubs in London--Your impressions.
Post #7 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:04 pm 
Lives in gote

Posts: 329
Location: Washington State
Liked others: 248
Was liked: 59
Rank: OGS 11kyu
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
Jujube wrote:
I went to Central once, a few years ago. Was staying for a few days in London with work; had some excellent noodles near the hotel I was staying at in Holborn and walked down. There were 5 players only. But, I was informed it was a slow week. Roger was there, man of a thousand shirts. He plays wild opening moves and has nice shape (relatively speaking). He's around 6k EGF. I beat him but not by much. The rest of them I don't remember. I think one player was French and quite strong. I vaguely remember reading that a few recent meetups were cancelled due to the pub being busy over Christmas or something. Might be worth checking that they're back to normal.



Roger sounds like an interesting player both on and off the board.... : )

Thank you for the info.

_________________
Walla Walla GO Club -(on FB)

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GO clubs in London--Your impressions.
Post #8 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:07 pm 
Lives in gote

Posts: 329
Location: Washington State
Liked others: 248
Was liked: 59
Rank: OGS 11kyu
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
MikeKyle wrote:
If someone asks me who my favourite go player is I have to ask them to be more specific! A part of my brain goes to Go Seigen, Lee Sedol, Cho Chikun, but a part of my brain definitely goes to Roger Daniel.

I have noticed that he likes 10-3 as an opening move and it seems like he is good at leveraging the fact that he knows more about the merits of playing 10-3 early on that typical players around his strength. He ruthlessly takes you away from typical fuseki and joseki knowledge you may lean on and drags you into a game that he feels more comfortable with. There are no Hamete (as far as I've seen) just imaginative unconventional moves.

If you are close to his strength I would recommend seeking out a game with him as he may test different skills than your typical opponent.



Well thats two people who have mentioned Roger! Will definitely have to meet and try to get a game in.

Of course meeting in a pub and having a few ales is not conducive to the best fuseki!

_________________
Walla Walla GO Club -(on FB)

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GO clubs in London--Your impressions.
Post #9 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:08 pm 
Lives in gote

Posts: 329
Location: Washington State
Liked others: 248
Was liked: 59
Rank: OGS 11kyu
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
xela wrote:
Thanks for all the info! I might also be in London for a few days during the northern hemisphere summer, dates yet to be confirmed.


You are welcome to pm me. Perhaps we could meet at one of the clubs over a pint. : )

_________________
Walla Walla GO Club -(on FB)

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GO clubs in London--Your impressions.
Post #10 Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:49 pm 
Honinbo

Posts: 8840
Liked others: 1503
Was liked: 1509
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I’ve never been to London, but this thread makes me want to visit. I’d imagine it’s a good tourist destination.

_________________
be immersed


This post by Kirby was liked by: goTony
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GO clubs in London--Your impressions.
Post #11 Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:55 am 
Lives in gote

Posts: 318
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Liked others: 124
Was liked: 158
Rank: Australian 2 dan
GD Posts: 200
Kirby wrote:
I’ve never been to London, but this thread makes me want to visit. I’d imagine it’s a good tourist destination.

Yes. Apart from playing go, there are one or two other interesting things to do there too.


This post by xela was liked by: Kirby
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GO clubs in London--Your impressions.
Post #12 Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:23 pm 
Judan

Posts: 6301
Location: Cambridge, UK
Liked others: 362
Was liked: 3426
Rank: UK 4 dan
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
And my nearby restaurant recommendations:

West London Shepherd's bush:
- Hoja, quick taiwanese noodles/rice
- Shikumen, Chinese dumplings
- Raj of India - curry

Central (Holborn)
- Kimchee, korean (duh)


This post by Uberdude was liked by 3 people: goTony, Kirby, xela
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GO clubs in London--Your impressions.
Post #13 Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:46 pm 
Lives in gote

Posts: 329
Location: Washington State
Liked others: 248
Was liked: 59
Rank: OGS 11kyu
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
xela wrote:
Kirby wrote:
I’ve never been to London, but this thread makes me want to visit. I’d imagine it’s a good tourist destination.

Yes. Apart from playing go, there are one or two other interesting things to do there too.



I heard that there are a few things to do there.... So plan a trip Kirby!

_________________
Walla Walla GO Club -(on FB)

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GO clubs in London--Your impressions.
Post #14 Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:46 pm 
Lives in gote

Posts: 329
Location: Washington State
Liked others: 248
Was liked: 59
Rank: OGS 11kyu
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
Uberdude wrote:
And my nearby restaurant recommendations:

West London Shepherd's bush:
- Hoja, quick taiwanese noodles/rice
- Shikumen, Chinese dumplings
- Raj of India - curry

Central (Holborn)
- Kimchee, korean (duh)



Mmmmmmm Dumplings...... MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm

_________________
Walla Walla GO Club -(on FB)

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony


This post by goTony was liked by: xela
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group