It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My recent approach to study (I'm going to prove its wort
Post #41 Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:25 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
What a very respectful and inaccurate view of the high school diploma. As if a 1 Kyu is a player that barely stayed out of jail, did not get pregnant, and is now on their way to clean toilets in the military or at Wendy's.

Reading this, I wonder how helpful it would be to review my older games. Now I will review immediately after. Usually with quick and dirty AI analysis but that's it. ... I wonder if I reviewed my own games like I review title matches.

This post by CDavis7M was liked by: Elom0

Post #42 Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:26 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
CDavis7M wrote:
What a very respectful and inaccurate view of the high school diploma. As if a 1 Kyu is a player that barely stayed out of jail, did not get pregnant, and is now on their way to clean toilets in the military or at Wendy's.

Reading this, I wonder how helpful it would be to review my older games. Now I will review immediately after. Usually with quick and dirty AI analysis but that's it. I wonder if I reviewed my own games like I review title matches.

Haha, but then again I won't be surprised if that's exactly how a pro sees most even Euler 1 kyus: didn't get their group into a hopeless fight, didn't create bad shape or make wrongly timed probes, and can finally play proper endgame when there are something like 15 moves till the end, haha :lol:.

Although in terms of game reviewing, now I think about it, on a psychological level it might have the effect that when you're playing, if you know you're going to review your game and essentially compare it to the likes of a top professional title match, then it makes it more difficult to make silly mistakes, haha :lol:

Post #43 Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:21 am 
Lives in sente

Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
In baduk, chess, shogi, xianggqi, makruk, etc a game is either winning for white, a draw, or winning for black. 1, 0.5, 0. In baduk however in addition to Victory points you have a number of territory points. But this can only be known from a position from which perfect play is known. So in the opening I would never say a move is a certain number of points better. I instead would use winrates; I feel I have a 60% chance of winning against myself from this position. But when I get to a point in the late endgame when I know the result, I can say 'this move gains or loses so-and-so points'.

So when pros say this move in the opening gain or loses a certain number of points, I'm not super sure about that. Indeed I've also heard pros say that some players don't have reading as a weakness or that they're reading is good enough or perfect. I think it was in the context of saying that in China and Korea the difference in reading ability between top pro and mid-level pros is not. However in Japan Sakata Eio and Ichiriki Ryo seems have and seem to currently dispute that notion based on their performances--they both happened the best in Japan and the best in Japan at reading. Technically you can always get better at reading. Then we have Lee Changho, Choi Jung, Shin Jinseo, Fujisawa Rina, and the number one Korean female pro for a while Cho Hyeyeon. All number ones who happen to be experts in the Second half of the game. Moving on to more number ones, Rui Naiwei, beater of number one lee Changho, and Lee Sedol use the opening as decoration to get into a fight.

All this seems to say that focusing on the objective second half of the game first is more important and the difference between being number 1 or number 2, or just another top player.

When it comes to AI, I don't pay too much attention to the actual winrate or playouts any AI gives to any position, but rather it's relative opinion and ranking of different positions. Then I decide for myself how much better each position is. In other words, it seems an AI can tell you that a position is better, but it's folly to try to use AI to determine how much better. That's for you to determine.

From 2022 October 25th, around the same time I start my coconut-based diet, I'll start my Alpha-Zero-style self-play training of playing and then replaying the game from the last move to the first move, time-reverse reviewing, or treviewing for short, in baduk. In addition I can do Life&Death puzzles, only Life and Death, in 2023 January. From 2023 February I'll start a similar in chess, shogi, xianggqi, but only the self-play and time-reverse review. Anyway for a few years I've thought of appending 'Surrounding Gardens' with a story called 'Point Zero/Soule Impact' (with it's own little jingle too), this just adds more metaphorical meanings to Point Zero/Soule Impact' :).

When I say something Like 'I'm 60% sure', that's the percentage version. The decimal version is 'I'm 0.6' sure. It means if I have to give exactly how many victory points I have, it 0.6 victory points.

Area-control fraction is the proportion of territory each person controls. Implied Area-control fraction is the area-control implied after adjusting for komi. If victory points in baduk are determined by implied area-control 'I have 0.6 Victory points'' can mean I think I control 60% of the area.

Post #44 Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:15 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Elom0 wrote:

From 2022 October 25th, around the same time I start my coconut-based diet, I'll start my Alpha-Zero-style self-play training of playing and then replaying the game from the last move to the first move, time-reverse reviewing, or treviewing for short, in baduk. In addition I can do Life&Death puzzles, only Life and Death, in 2023 January.

I must have missed something. It seems like you're planning to do some sort of go training here - why are you waiting until October? What's wrong with starting now?

Post #45 Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:31 am 
Lives in sente

Kirby wrote:
Elom0 wrote:

From 2022 October 25th, around the same time I start my coconut-based diet, I'll start my Alpha-Zero-style self-play training of playing and then replaying the game from the last move to the first move, time-reverse reviewing, or treviewing for short, in baduk. In addition I can do Life&Death puzzles, only Life and Death, in 2023 January.

I must have missed something. It seems like you're planning to do some sort of go training here - why are you waiting until October? What's wrong with starting now?

Well essentially I'm focusing on piano and improving my sense of rhythm at the moment first :D, I want to test coconuts like I'm doing a study, so I'll do other healthy things until then too.

Post #46 Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:14 am 
Lives in sente

Since I'm psychologically too down to put oomph into anything at the moment, instead of having a goal to reach this year it would probably be better to have my total Euler skill points between these games will reach e^0 at the end of next year, and reaching e^0 from a lower level is 1 dan; from a higher level it's 1 kyu, I guess I should make the rating system before I measure myself by it. I can only guarantee myself to early march 2027 though . . .

Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, 1 hour Go (Baduk 19x19 and 13x13 and Mancala/Backgammon) morning and evening
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, 1 Hour of Chess, Xjianggqi, Shogi, Draughts/Checkers morning and evening
However the self-learning algorithm will not divide by time but by number of games. It will play an equal number of games between Chess, Xjianggqi, Shogi and Draughts/Checkers and then play that same total amount of games of 19x19 baduk, 13x13 baduk, and Backgammon/Mancala split between them in the proportion 361:169:191.5. Their are 1296 different starting positions for Xjianggqi that it will cycle through evenly, while all the variants of Draughts/Checkers and Mancala/Backgammon would have to be cycled through. When they all reach their nearest common factor, that would count as a set, although it's not important because the self-learning algorithm updates continuously every game. Although the concept of me trying to program something like this is laughable, :lol: .

Maybe the more time you spend on the game playing or replaying or reviewing, the less time you should spend time-reverse reviewing, and the less time you spend on a game playing or replaying or reviewing, the more time you should spend time-reverse reviewing>

Post #47 Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:40 am 
Lives in sente

20 min Baduk/Igo/Weiqi/Mancala aka awele aka adji/Backgammon
20 min Chess/Shogi/Xjianggqi/Xianshochess/Checkers aka Draughts
20 min Mahjong/Bridge/Poker/Poem Karuta/art,languages,music,TCG

For the Neural Net, 1 loop consists of a game each of: 19x19 baduk then 19x19 baduk then 13x13 baduk then Mancala then Backgammon then Chess then Shogi then Xjianggqi then Xianshochess then Checkers aka Draughts then Mahjong then Bridge then Poker then Poem Karuta. There are loads of variants of Mahjong and Mancala and checkers aka draughts and 1296 different positions in Xjianggqi. Each loop a different one will have to be used, so to maintain evenness between starting positions and variants, the nearest common factor amount of loops is chosen to create a set, and then it's updated based on that set. Let's see if a super weak version will exist by 2023.

20 min Baduk/Igo/Weiqi/Mancala/Backgammon
20 min Chess/Shogi/Xjianggqi/Xianshochess/Checkers aka Draughts
20 min Mahjong/Bridge/Poker/Poem Karuta/art,languages,music,TCG

Post #48 Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:04 am 
Lives in sente

The main thing people are doing is, look at what the AI says and have a response to it, a response which could be ignoring it and continuing with the way before, but you'll be left behind as a pro if you do that. Okay, try to figure out what the ai is saying. Okay, while there has and there will be success as time goes on in this, at least initially understanding was hard to come by, and just copying the ai openings will give you an advantage anyway, BUT then actually you shouldn't just copy ai blindly without knowing what your doing as that might be an disadvantage, blah blah blah . . . BUT what I am shocked at is how much I've heard about responding or not responding to what the ai shows in some way, compared to evaluating how much of our percieved advancement in go from the ancient masters was nonsense in the opinion of AI, and all of that compared to and how little I've heard regarding looking at how the PRE-AI THEORY developed and what was the THINKING THAT DEVELOPED THE THEORY, and then look instead at what type of thinking instead would have resulted in an ai-like opening theory. then instead of trying to imitate ai-moves, we can just carry on the human type thinking that would have lead to ai-like moves and develop that and eventually in the future we'll truly understand ai moves. In the future, when we invent a superintellegent ai and that ai invents backwards time travel, we'll find the obsession with moral standards in terms of the time period silly, the entire concept of changing moral standards with time an especially silly one to me and a prime example of adultism at it's best at being the worst thing ever. I'm with Einstein on this, sorry. But it is only then when people stop the smug silliness looking back at tragic events in the past and plucking out a possible moral problem and the deciding that's what the problem was so that's what we must do, which often leads to learning the wrong lessens and then getting arrogant on the belief you've learned lessons, instead of looking back at the thinking that determined the moral standards and look at changing that instead. Looking at acceleration instead of speed. The again the fact that it took me mentally deteriorating over the past 4 to 6 years to realise this is part of the problem with our species. I think the age of AI represents something akin to the end of time; what we should be doing is not thinking where we should play and why we should play there in the light of ai, but rather how have we been thinking of go and how should we have been thinking of go instead up until the point of Alphago. Why the level of human go was too weak to beat AlphaGo Lee.

It seems that there is a threshold of time in which playing a mindsport becomes more instinctual. Players like Hikaru Nakamura are good at instinctual mindsoprting and you can see it when he let's you hear into his analysis. Shin Jinseo on the other hand is on the opposite end, with the talent for having the tenacity to take the time to thoroughly calculate. In other words, there is a point in time for players in which the disadvantage from exhaustion from having more time begins to outweigh the advantage of the chance of calculating more variations, especially if you can't even calculate as much as time allows. But for Shin Jinseo this upper limit of time seems to be more than other players, so he could play in the kisei title match against any organic intelligence and I'd feel no fear if my life depended upon him winning. It seems there are really just two types of mindsport time limits. Fast and Slow, so perhaps do away with the distinction of blitz and bullet chess, and this is different to what I thought before about the five levels, well, not really, but now I see level 4 and 5 as slow and level 1 and 2 as fast and level three in between. Summary time-reverse review, which is extremely brief and is really a clever way to pack the stones back up when counting, and is a level 1 review. In fact after that I then I will conduct a normal review. However for a select number of games, I will conduct an Analysis of time-reverse review. This is the opposite of the Summary treview, since now the purpose of reviewing the game backwards is that for the last move we can know exactly which one is the best, and this results in a level 5 review.

Replaying games between others.
Playing and replaying games between you and others.
Playing and replaying self play games between you and yourself.

The proportion between which you do all three might say something about your go training type.

Post #49 Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:11 am 
Lives in sente

From the autumn, for an hour after waking and before bed, on alternating days, Day 1 TCG's&Poem Karuta and Bridge+ and Mahjong; Lentears and Tables games, Day 2 Draughts aka Checkers; Shogi&Chess&Xjianggqi, Xianshochess!

Play then brief treview of blunders to pack up stones after a game, treviewing is operating extremely quickly. However when rereviewing any game between any players that you've already reviewed or had reviewed by a strong player and you deem or has been deemed as high quality with time-reverse reviewing, here, it works extremely slowly since you're analysing every move to see if it wins the game.

Post #50 Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:59 am 
Lives in sente

2022 goal: Book of Natural Unilism and Surrounding Gardens (Ayana no Go), Square 1 [Ai no Oushou], Point 0, which requires the eDan rating system, get an intuitive understanding of Igo.

Post #51 Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:35 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Elom0 wrote:
The goal is euler 1 dan by January 1st 2023, which is about equivalent I guess to about EGF 3 dan to 4 dan, around the level you can remember your games from memory well.

It might be less relevant to your entire study plan, but I found I could remember my games quite well when I was playing frequently as a mid-SDK. I think it has more to do with intention (and it helps to have opponents whose moves are mostly understandable to you.)

Post #52 Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:45 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
On the tangent of "remembering games": I remember a game for about 1 day and only into the middle or endgame. The second day after I hardly remember anything.

Post #53 Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:33 am 
Lives in sente

skydyr wrote:
Elom0 wrote:
The goal is euler 1 dan by January 1st 2023, which is about equivalent I guess to about EGF 3 dan to 4 dan, around the level you can remember your games from memory well.

It might be less relevant to your entire study plan, but I found I could remember my games quite well when I was playing frequently as a mid-SDK. I think it has more to do with intention (and it helps to have opponents whose moves are mostly understandable to you.)

Knotwilg wrote:
On the tangent of "remembering games": I remember a game for about 1 day and only into the middle or endgame. The second day after I hardly remember anything.

That's interesting. I guess to do what Hikaru did you have to be 3-4 Dan EGF so it was implying that was his strength at the time, Of Course his style may also be a factor rather than him actually being that strong, since he wasn't so good at the endgame. So maybe his brain is naturally good at remembering opening patterns so that his game recall is what you'd expect from someone three stones above him, in which case Sai's comments make even more sense . . .

This also is backed up by the fact that he is able to and tends to match Fukuu's speed when they play, altogether implying his strength is in rapid analysis of opening positions that become more vulnerable to mistakes as the game goes on.

And it makes sense an opening-based style would be more akin to remembering games. Lee Changho wasn't naturally good at it . . .