It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Countries where go is considered an sport
Post #21 Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:32 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 22
Are we all just silly people to spend so much time on a board game?

Go is so beautiful though. It is like painting a picture with your brain: calculations, style, shape, personality all come to life on the go board.

To say that go is a waste of time is like saying painting or music is a waste of time. Today I reviewed a game from 1954, a game that took place over 30 years before I was born and by replaying that game I painted the picture that these two players made. That conversation they made with those stones is something to be respected.

Is there anything more worthwhile than clicking those stones on that wooden board in a beautiful garden?

Sport, art, board game or what ever you want to call it, go is one of the finer things in life.

Post subject: Re:
Post #22 Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:26 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 176
Was liked: 46
OGS: paK0, paK0666
Universal go server handle: paK0
EdLee wrote:
TheBigH wrote:

Anyone knows when professional chess became viable ?
( And much later than professional Go in Japan or China ? )

That depends on the definition of viable.

Sponsors were there quite early, pretty much since the beginning some arab sultans payed people to play matches for them to enjoy.

I think living of just playing was rather late (earlie 1900 maybe?). I know for sure that the strongest player before the first World Champion (Steinitz) was mainly a maths teacher and a chess player second.

Even today just playing does not support a lof of players and they have to resort to teaching/publishing or other means.

For those interested:
http://www.chess.com/article/view/making-money-in-chess

Post #23 Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:04 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
I wonder how "sport" is defined in different languages. Not being a native English speaker I looked up the Oxford dictionary (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... rt?q=sport): "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment". Some other dictionaries refer more to general activities with "esp involving physical exercise". In my Finnish dictionary the physical side is also emphasized, but sports involving animals or motorized vehicles are mentioned; mind games are not. I believe in many languages the term is mostly associated with physical activities.

Post #24 Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:25 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
tj86430 wrote:
I wonder how "sport" is defined in different languages. Not being a native English speaker I looked up the Oxford dictionary (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... rt?q=sport): "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment". Some other dictionaries refer more to general activities with "esp involving physical exercise". In my Finnish dictionary the physical side is also emphasized, but sports involving animals or motorized vehicles are mentioned; mind games are not. I believe in many languages the term is mostly associated with physical activities.

I remember reading in (title may vary) Illustrated Dictionary of Chess how (IIRC) Karpov lost something like 8kg during a world title match due to stress. I would qualify this as "physical exertion." I agree that in most languages it is connected with real, strong physical movement, but we should not deny the effect mind games have in the body (or how a fit body affects mind games.)

Post #25 Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:43 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 5
Go at the 2010 Asian Games
Go at the 2013 Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Asian_Games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_at_the_ ... Arts_Games

Post #26 Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:29 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 124
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
RBerenguel wrote:
tj86430 wrote:

I remember reading in (title may vary) Illustrated Dictionary of Chess how (IIRC) Karpov lost something like 8kg during a world title match due to stress. I would qualify this as "physical exertion." I agree that in most languages it is connected with real, strong physical movement, but we should not deny the effect mind games have in the body (or how a fit body affects mind games.)

Does the term mentally exhausted mean anything if you're trying to talk about "physical exertion"? You could go an entire day without doing much strenuous exercise and still be exhausted. From my non-knowledge of biology, doesn't the brain use up the most of our energy?

Post #27 Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:03 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Abyssinica wrote:
From my non-knowledge of biology, doesn't the brain use up the most of our energy?

No, though it is the most energy hungry organ using around one fifth of your base metabolic rate. Physical exercise uses a lot more.