Post #21 Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:14 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
quantumf wrote:
kirkmc wrote:
I don't play "strangers" like that - I play those games with a few friends I have on KGS who like playing slow games too.

Sounds good to me. It would be nice to have some rivals like that on KGS. But that's not the typical model, where people put up a game for anyone to challenge (or are themselves challengers).

That's how I play most of my games, but I have a half-dozen or so "regulars" I play with, many of whom are more than interested in playing long, slow games.

Post subject: Re: massive disparity online and offline
Post #22 Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:21 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Adrian Petrescu wrote:
ketchup wrote:
Everyone suffers from this. It's just the lack of "pressure" from online games. There is really no benefit for playing seriously online right now. They are not worth anything. So I think it's normal for you to be this way. In all honesty, it's just a lot more enjoyable in person anyways. I think once you get used to it(people like to overplay a lot more online), you'll probably get stronger overall. I would say that you should not worry about it too much.

I have the opposite impression; in real life, there's no pressure because the game is ephemeral, once the stones are put away the only thing that remains is you and your opponent's memories of the game. Online, the game is stored for perpetuity, and I know lots of people who regularly check out their friends' past games. Not to mention that the amount of observers in an online game is typically much higher than a random game at the club.

I feel much more free to make mistakes in real life -- who cares, nobody will remember by next week anyway -- whereas online you have to suffer through the post-game review and people asking you "What were you thinking with S3 here?! It clearly doesn't work"

I do often have several observers of my games, because most of my over the board opponents also play on KGS. I think it does affect me somewhat, but not to such a great extent.

As far as reading body language, I'm sure this information is there subconsciously, but I'm generally just more astute in these games.

I think on the whole just many small factors add up to making me feel uncomfortable about internet games: 2D board; instant "clickability" factor; social pressure of observers; opponents' reluctance to resign; occasional stress of bad connection; and of course, being psyched out by playing on the internet.

It mostly bothers me because I have to be associated with that number that is my ranking, and all of my go friends know the account. I have thought about deranking my account, but that just seems like I would be avoiding the problem.

Post #23 Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:34 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Dusk Eagle wrote:
I personally find that online (real-time) play puts a lot more pressure on me to not screw up. I actually get very stressed out when I want to start an online game and the pressure often stops me from playing altogether. Once I'm in a game though, I feel relieved of that pressure.

I have the same experience playing online.

Post #24 Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:50 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
For me the social pressure is much higher in offline games. And seeing shapes is much easier on a small 2D board where the stones are perfectly placed.

Post #25 Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:18 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 1
GD Posts: 146
KGS: Thomato
Online playing schedule: Inconsistent
cdybeijing wrote:
Hi all:

I wonder if anyone has shared my experience, which probably many of you will not believe. I play at least 4 and possibly 5 stones weaker online than in my over the board games. This not related to timing either, as I own and regularly use a digital clock in my over the board games.

The disparity has been validated to such an extent that I am convinced there is no self-deception at work. I regularly play and beat 2 and 3 kyu kgs players over the board and win. I play my 2 dan kgs friend over the board with 2 stones competitively. In the local go club I attend in Beijing, I play the (self described )1 dans even and do win games. I play the 2 and 3 dans even as well, and lose, but not embarassingly.

On KGS I am 7k.

At my local go club, I give my friend, a well established KGS 7k, 3 stones without much difficulty.

This is a familiar pattern for me. When I was a teenager studying chess, I was around 1950 - 2000 USCF, battle tested in many tournaments, and my ICC blitz rating would hover around 1700. I have never been able to concentrate on the online game; I feel I can't or don't read well on the 2D screen, and of course it is much easier to be impulsive. In my KGS games, I am often amassing overwhelming positions, 30 - 40+ point leads in the middlegame, and then playing long strings of serious tactical howlers that would be absolutely unthinkable over the board. Reviewing the games is worthless because it is not a strength issue; I am very aware that I am playing horrible moves as I play them or shortly after.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem? I believe it is primarily psychological and then partially related to 2D / 3D perception and the differing stimuli of playing with stones and goban vs playing on a computer.

The same thing happened to me in chess my FCIS is 1400 Although I can topple over most class A's with ease it seems my internet rating's under rate me. My tournament chess is still provisional and will take a while to bring up, but I do play USCF 1800-2000 and have really close games whether I win or lose. About Go I don't know I have no strong player that live near me so I have never played otb.

Post #26 Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:20 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
Like balmung, I could play chess fairly well back when I did play, but I could never play online to save my life. I would constantly overlook moves that would have been painfully obvious to me if I was playing in person.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #27 Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:14 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 8
Dusk Eagle wrote:
I personally find that online (real-time) play puts a lot more pressure on me to not screw up. I actually get very stressed out when I want to start an online game and the pressure often stops me from playing altogether. Once I'm in a game though, I feel relieved of that pressure. However, if I play an opponent who makes bad moves yet still ends up beating me, I feel even worse. Or, if I play an opponent who just doesn't know when to give up, I get agitated much easier online. Offline though, it's totally different. I look forward to playing over-the-board games, and I find it easier both to shrug off my mistakes and to learn new things.

However, despite this difference in attitude, I haven't noticed myself being particularly stronger or weaker online or offline. I do feel, however, that my games end up feeling like a different style of play offline than online, but maybe that's just my imagination.

I have the same thing as you described. I often just put off playing online completely, because it just feels so pressuring..

But I am also weaker online, or rather.. inconsistent, I'd say. My main account that I play ranked games with is 2k and I constantly lose to 1-3k players who play ridiculously bad moves and it just angers me to no end. On a real board, I'd beat these same players. But then I also have my other account that I got to 2d and then stopped ranked games and only play free. I play against 1-3d just fine, win some, lose some. I really like these games a lot more.

I don't know why it is that online play and especially online play against kyus makes me so .. Bad. I've been trying to fix it, but I just don't know how.

Post #28 Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:34 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 253
Was liked: 105
Mike, what I notice online sometimes - when switching from KGS to IGS, is that the "trick plays" common on the servers are different. Coming up against tricks and overplays that feel wrong but you're not familiar with might make you appear weaker.

Post #29 Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:32 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
Dusk Eagle wrote:
I personally find that online (real-time) play puts a lot more pressure on me to not screw up. I actually get very stressed out when I want to start an online game and the pressure often stops me from playing altogether. Once I'm in a game though, I feel relieved of that pressure.

Same over here. My original diagnosis was OGA but I am not really sure whether it's exactly that.

Post #30 Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:37 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
karaklis wrote:
Dusk Eagle wrote:

Same over here. My original diagnosis was OGA but I am not really sure whether it's exactly that.

It's interesting to note that there is actually a page in Sensei's about online go anxiety. Maybe I just need a psychiatrist :lol:

Post #31 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:00 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 3
GD Posts: 185
KGS: SolarBear
karaklis wrote:

Does "sweating profusely" count as OGA ?

It tends to distract me, those beads of sweat running down my armpits or legs. *shivers* Disgusting.

Post #32 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:36 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
I have beaten some players consistently online (OGS) rated 2-400 points above me in the EGF. And I am losing consistently in over the board games (in tournaments) against much weaker players. And players I play even over the board have online ratings spreading as much as 5 stones and vice versa.

Notice the number of games both online and over the board which are decided by the last mistake. Anxiety (not only online go anxiety, but tournament go anxiety as well) may well be a major factor then. My impression is that such factors easily contribute +/- 3 stones to performance.

Post #33 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:45 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
tapir wrote:
I have beaten some players consistently online (OGS) rated 2-400 points above me in the EGF. And I am losing consistently in over the board games (in tournaments) against much weaker players. And players I play even over the board have online ratings spreading as much as 5 stones and vice versa.

Notice the number of games both online and over the board which are decided by the last mistake. Anxiety (not only online go anxiety, but tournament go anxiety as well) may well be a major factor then. My impression is that such factors easily contribute +/- 3 stones to performance.

It's possible, but turn based servers offer a number of reasons that contribute hugely. Many people spend up to an hour on individual moves trying to play the best games possible with the time available (Uberdude, real life 3d and OGS 6d, is one of these). Other people (myself included) rarely spend longer than 5 seconds on their turn based server games, and almost never spend a minute on any move. I suspect this thinking time difference can easily equate to 3 or 4 stones or more. KGS is a much closer proxy to OTB than OGS or DGS.

Post #34 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:50 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 38
My ranks:
Swedish IRL: 2 kyu
EGF (GoR): 1728
KGS: 4 kyu
OGS: 7.4 kyu (only few games played)
DGS: 8 kyu
WBaduk: 10 kyu(?)

Notes:
One of the tournamenst which gave me my 2 kyu Swedish Rank is not reported to EGD (which is a bit embarassing, since I am responsible but I haven't recieved the results file despite numerous reminders). Also Swedish rank works a little different than GoR.

On DGS/OGS I play rather sloppy, and since it can take a while between moves I tend to drop focus.

On WBaduk I got hammered down by some quite strong 10+ kyus with not that many games played, also I have problems with some obviously bad moves they make on that server.
Not sure if I'm exactly 10k, could be 12 or 8...

IMHO All this (almost) doesn't matter at all, and I can't understand the poster who said "it must suck".
The "almost" comes from that I regularly meet people who cannot understand that a rank in one environment/system is for that one only, and think that I'm overranked/sandbagging.
Also, once I almost wasn't allowed to play by my Swedish Rank in London Open, they wanted me to use (the then IIRC 3 stones weaker) GoR.

/Mats

Post #35 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:14 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
I didn't think wbaduk is remotely accurate at the 10k level. Try making a 2k account there-- you might do just fine. It also might depend on the server you use.

Post #36 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:23 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
daniel_the_smith wrote:
I didn't think wbaduk is remotely accurate at the 10k level. Try making a 2k account there-- you might do just fine. It also might depend on the server you use.

Agreed. On Korean s1 server, 2k is about 3k kgs (altho it varies a little by time of day)