Post subject: Re: Singapore barred by own NOC from competition in Asian Ga
Post #21 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:26 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
unkx80 wrote:
Among the comments is an response from the secretary general of SNOC. I read it with lots of incredibility. Of course, we don't have much of a track record in the past year or so. There aren't that many regional and international events in amateur go, at most a few every year, and these are mostly individual events. Therefore, most of the participants would not have the required track record. Kind of a chicken-and-egg problem, since go is not really an established sport here and possibly around the region.

Anyway, the rejection is quite a big bummer when I thought go is at its best here. It is only in the recent years that we have got a lot of very passionate young players, and a number of these young amateurs are getting really strong. I stress the word young, because a good proportion of the players will gradually drop out as they peruse higher studies and enter the workforce, since go alone cannot be our rice bowl.

Harleqin summed up the sentiment that at least part of the population has very well. This applies not just to sports, but education and jobs as well. A number of locals get squeezed out by foreigners, no thanks to the policies. The present government seems to be pretty much in a world of its own, and not serving the interests of the masses very well.

Thanks for this, very useful to get an opinion from someone on the inside so to speak. It sounds like the problems run much deeper than the Asian Games then :(

Post subject: Re: Singapore barred by own NOC from competition in Asian Ga
Post #22 Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:08 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
As a visiting New Zealander to Singapore for a year, I have to say that I am totally shocked by the decision. I was looking forward to seeing some of my new singapore friends participate in one of the first major international sporting events that features go.

My feeling and observation of the situation is that look most people in the sporting arena, the managed of SNOC does not see go as a `sport' and therefore are skeptical about supporting the singapore team in competition. It is likely that the people who make decision in SNOC are much more keen in funding being placed in sports that they care about (i.e., not this mind sport crap) and there wishes to exploit any excuse to bar out the Singapore go association from participation. They probably fear that any comparative success that mind sports gets will have potential to shift funding away from the massive amount currently invested in sports like soccer and table tennis.

I urge everyone to sign the petition. This is not only a matter for Singapore, but for go community as a whole.

The more countries that participate in Go in the Asian Games, the more likely that go will stay within Asian games. This would also increase its chances of eventually being part of the Olympic games.

So go sign it :)