All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: "Fantasy" Go Tournament
Post #21 Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:19 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
Swiss of Top 30 pros among Japan&Taiwan Top Korean pro pro and top female Korean pro with very long time settings of 10 hour games!

Post #22 Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:42 am 
Lives in sente

Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
For example maybe this . . . Hopefully
Attachment:
Samsung World Baduk Masters.png
Samsung World Baduk Masters.png [ 153.86 KiB | Viewed 6362 times ]

Attachment:
Samsung World Baduk Masters.pdf [14.12 KiB]
Downloaded 318 times

Edit: here is the letter I sent them probably some time around july.

Dear CEO & President 홍원학,

Before the main part of my letter, I would like to note that Globis have now returned their system from the 1st to 6th editions even when being forced to use computers. I wonder If it would be possible for SFMI to do similar, while incorporating the proposals below.

The Samsung Fire and Marine Insurance is my favourite baduk competition, and even made me consider Samsung first if I were to get insurance in Korea. I would like to note an apparent missed opportunity to benefit both Samsung and baduk. It may be best to combine all special preliminaries, including for world group, into one preliminary for Under-14's, Female's, Over-47's, and World players with any citizenship or origin outside the four main baduk nations, all competing for 5 places. Just a few, and even so they have been shortened and simplified for brevity, of the reasons this seems to be an exponentially more effective means of both inclusivity and promotion are given below, however I apologise for my directness and lack of tact as my mind is not as sharp as it used to be and I'm trying to write this quickly. However this is an opinion I've had for nearly 10 years.

From the perspective of Women and Girls, men giving special preliminary places may be a good gesture, however, doing so in a way that perpetuates notions of inferiority or them needing special treatment or not being deserving or capable starts to call things into question. It would be similar to a westerner claiming to be trying to promote Koreans and Korean culture in the west, but only doing so with tired or negative stereotypes and emphasising every time a western government has given them help. You would begin to question whether the intention is really to promote Korean culture or use it as a cover to engage in racist practices. It may be that the westerner is genuinely trying to help, but their subconscious bias is creeping in. It seems this may be the case for female baduk. In fact one may think it seems like from powerful men subconscious sexist bias is creeping in even in their attempts to help women baduk pros, portraying them in a diminutive manner when it can be avoided and they can still have special groups. Helping someone or a group, but doing so in a way that portrays them in an unnecessarily diminutive or inferior way might be seen as only in a 'knight in shining armour' manner that make men look especially competent or generous, since when female pros are only paired against top pros and opportunities to pair them with western or youth&senior players are skipped, it perpetuates the notion that these groups are needing a handout by nice men rather than having something they somewhat deserve. In the SFMI baduk masters, if the Female, Senior and World preliminaries are combined, they would have played games against western male players and senior and youth male players, all of whom would be notable, but the only difference is that they would have won these games, thereby portraying a different image of performance against male players. Even if they go on to play male pros they might lose to, and least it doesn't portray a one-sided story or seem like backhanded feminism. It would be a shame if in baduk also men too often just help Women from a limited perspective that sees women as diminutive beings that require male help and looks over ways to portray women in a more powerful light to girls.

From the perspective of those outside the main four baduk nations, it would provide a far more valuable insight for them to play top female pros than top male pros, and probably prove to be more popular and more effective as a means of promoting baduk in the west since they would overall be doing better. In addition, I think the world group should be extended to all people who were born with any citizenship outside the 4 main baduk nations, since an inclusive system appreciates all players with origin outside the main four countries and would be more effective in promoting baduk worldwide. I would like to praise Samsung in that they have a 'World' group instead of a 'Europe and America' group. It's not fair, and perhaps even somewhat racist, to focus only on promoting baduk in the west while ignoring other nations around the world, but unlike in a few other tournaments Samsung didn't do this. In fact it would not surprise me if one of the reasons female pros were skipped over as opponents for western pros to test themselves against was that them losing to female pros perhaps might not give western pros as good an image than if they lost to top male pros.

From the perspective of Youth and Seniors, both of these groups would benefit just as much from games against top women players as between top Korean Kiwon or China Qiyuan players. In the case of youth, it's especially important for girl youth to witness matches between top boy youth and top Women players, since it makes gender seem as less of a barrier when it comes to them doing well against the top boy youth and then this can continue into when they are not youth anymore and are competing in the open section.

From the perspective of Fans overall and SFMI, it being far more interesting to watch a game between a 'World' player and top female pro than with a top Korea Kiwon or China Qiyuan pro is true. This is because, with the exception of 최정, it's significantly more likely for the western pro to showcase their ability and playing style, and also, it seems more respectful to female pros to consider them first as a way to measure the abilities of western pros. In addition, it would promote female baduk since it showcases them winning against notable western players. On the other hand, skipping them when they are the obvious first choice to pair western players against seems to portray female pros as irrelevant, and pairing female pros with top pros isn't necessarily good since it seems like deliberately trying to portray female players as weak compared to male pros, some may even interpret this as deliberate through a veneer of catering to women pros due to how exactly the catering to women pros is done. For this reason, only those who qualify through a combined special preliminary of all special groups amongst each other should play top pros. One can say this is especially true 20, 15, or 10 years ago, but even today it is true. It is the obvious method, and the fact that it is avoided all these years by various parties seems to only be explainable by subconscious sexist bias even by men who try to support female baduk . . . Chinese culture seems to understand this for Female-Youth pairings, and Korean culture seems to understand this for Female-Senior pairings. There are complex cultural reasons and history explaining both of these understandings. However, no culture on it's own is sufficient, including in promoting baduk, and no one should aim at becoming successful only in their culture's narrow viewpoint, as all cultures inherently will be compared to the vastness of all cultures worldwide. In order to showcase baduk worldwide as an Intangible Korean Cultural Asset, it's important to cater to the perception of cultures outside owns own. In addition, one should not limit the judgement of ones actions to a particular place in time or space, but based on universal realities that are yet to become noticed by the mainstream, in essence creating the future cultural perceptions, and taking the lead in this would give one a cultural strategic advantage in the future. That being said, I believe that Korean culture is closest among all to this idea, and has the most universal and timeless perspective, and most of all this seems to be because Korean culture seems to focus on what can be seen to be objectively true more than any other culture. This seems to be one of the reasons Korean cultural exports are on the way to becoming no.1 in all cultural exports worldwide as humanity moves into a digitally inter-connected, world-oriented age, and I hope by Korean baduk tournaments incorporating this that this trends will continue in the baduk world, and perhaps even beyond if it helps baduk be considered by all the world as a world-class sport. The is because it's not the mainstream practice and people end up thinking they want things that they don't. It's part of much of worldwide human culture to objectify groups of people and objectify mastery. Because of this, people think they want to skip over the obvious matches and instead see a match between a top pro and these special groups. However, if one were to simply start holding these matches between different special groups, and just do it, but companies aren't always rewarded for doing what's most profitable according to the current paradigm and status quo, but what is right, and then gaining unexpectedly more benefit then they ever would have acquired through the status quo (SpaceX could be considered an example of this phenomenon) through the monopolistic benefit of being first through a blue-ocean strategy.

One might claim that Samsung and others define themselves as giving places to these special groups in baduk tournaments, and changing the system to combine theses groups would change that definition. But again, these definitions negatively objectify the groups in question if it's seen as more important for them simply to have a place than to showcase themselves against each other, as it the factors that place them in the special category as more important than their baduk itself. Objectifying special groups you're trying to help worldwide is a very common bad practice worldwide, but I think Korean companies like Samsung are the one's most qualified to buck this trend and then reap the social rewards from taking the lead in solving a moral problem most people didn't even bother to notice, or even thought made them morally good.

I'm sorry in that I'm not properly able to explain what I am trying to say due to my current state of health, nevertheless I hope that SFMI will take the opportunity to elite social contribution in even a baduk tournament, redefining even it's purpose, by taking into account subtle nuances to make sound judgements, part of why I liked the Samsung cup in the first place.

Yours Sincerely,

Elom Hycy Kushatior mumayaWillson

P.S.
Holding Special preliminaries at the same time as the Open preliminaries seems odd, since again, this may be seen as perpetuating negative values since it implies that if a female player wants to have any special group, they must forego their chance to compete against male pros in the open section, and when they do compete against male pros it is only against the male pros from the Korea Kiwon and China Qiyuan they have the least chance of doing well against, meaning it also has many of the same problematic implication as separating out the special preliminaries.

Last edited by Elom0 on Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post #23 Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:47 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 24
DGS: bugcat
For sure, it's not the best idea for Western pros to be immediately paired up against high-tier or even mid-tier Oriental ones and get immediately knocked out, as is the going system right now.

Then the spectators only get to see them in one game, and they only get one game's experience.

I'd rather see the European and American pros start international tournaments by playing a couple of games against

* under-18s
* female players
* 1ps and 2ps
* insei
* pro- / insei-level amateurs
* seniors

etc.

If the Westerners are better than these groups of people, great, then they'll be able to work their way up to the stronger pros. If they aren't, why pretend they are in the seeding?

This post by bugcat was liked by: Elom0

Post #24 Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:53 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 24
DGS: bugcat
That gives me an idea.

Five teams of however many players. Let's say five.

1. Americans
2. Europeans
3. Japanese under-20s
4. Japanese over-50s
5. Japanese women and girls

A simple team round robin of four rounds.

If the Americans or Europeans can ever win, that'd be an argument for higher seeding in the internationals.

Hmm, what would the teams look like?

Team II: Ilya Shikshin?, Artem Kachanovskiy?, Pavol Lisy (EGF 6), Mateusz Surma (EGF 7), Ali Jabarin (EGF 8)
Team III: Fukuoka Kotaro (~260), Miura Taro (~340), Sakai Yuki (~400), Jo Bunen (~530), Mito Shuhei (~540)
Team IV: Yoda Norimoto (~210), O Rissei (~270), Ryu Shikun (~310), O Meien (~320), Cho Chikun (~330)
Team V: Fujisawa Rina (~160), Ueno Asami (~230), Nakamura Sumire (~390), Suzuki Ayumi (~420), Nyu Eiko (~450)

Can't be bother to look up the order of the Americans. But there seem to be only five anyway: Ryan Li, Eric Lui, Andy Liu, Calvin Sun and Gansheng Shi.

This post by bugcat was liked by: Elom0

Post #25 Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:55 am 
Lives in sente

bugcat wrote:
That gives me an idea.

Five teams of however many players. Let's say five.

1. Americans
2. Europeans
3. Japanese under-20s
4. Japanese over-50s
5. Japanese women and girls

A simple team round robin of four rounds.

If the Americans or Europeans can ever win, that'd be an argument for higher seeding in the internationals.

Hmm, what would the teams look like?

Team II: Ilya Shikshin?, Artem Kachanovskiy?, Pavol Lisy (EGF 6), Mateusz Surma (EGF 7), Ali Jabarin (EGF 8)
Team III: Fukuoka Kotaro (~260), Miura Taro (~340), Sakai Yuki (~400), Jo Bunen (~530), Mito Shuhei (~540)
Team IV: Yoda Norimoto (~210), O Rissei (~270), Ryu Shikun (~310), O Meien (~320), Cho Chikun (~330)
Team V: Fujisawa Rina (~160), Ueno Asami (~230), Nakamura Sumire (~390), Suzuki Ayumi (~420), Nyu Eiko (~450)

Can't be bother to look up the order of the Americans. But there seem to be only five anyway: Ryan Li, Eric Lui, Andy Liu, Calvin Sun and Gansheng Shi.

And Michael Redmond.

Post #26 Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:42 am 
Lives in sente

Double elimination Preliminary one, 6 places, Male Hanguk Kiwon and China Qiyuan pros with only Chinese or Korean immediate descent

Double elimination Preliminary two, 2 places, Everyone else

Then each game in the league is 4 hours absolute per side. The top two then play an 8 hours absolute game with colours reversed from their first game.

Post #27 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:20 am 
Lives in sente

After every round in all tournaments, there is a redraw to, in order of priority:
1 Avoid pairings between players of the same sex
2 Encourage pairings between players from different pools but same contingency
3 Pair female players with players from contingencies with the lowest number of representatives that round
4 Avoid pairings between players from the same player pool, and if that's unavoidable avoid pairings between players from the same go association

International Hand
Each round has two games of alternating colours with Lentear rules using a standard komi of 7. With resignation counting as a loss by 7 territory points, the winner is the player with a positive winning margin over both games. Under Lentear rules in the event of a draw, the player who used up the least time wins. There are 32 preliminaries of up to 265 players each over 4 days held in quick succession over each other for a total of 128 days of preliminaries, with NHK timing used. A player gets to enter an extra preliminary if they are female, or have been growing for less than 15 years or more than 48 years, which means that a player may play in up to 3 preliminaries which in turn means it's possible for a player to have three places in the main tournament. The Main tournament time limit is 3 hours absolute each for the rounds of 32, 4 hours for the round of 16, 5 hours for the quarterfinals, 6 hours for the Semi-finals and 7 hours for the Final. Each round in the Main Tournament takes place over two days, however every pairing will happen on a different day so it will happen over 126 days. The prelims occur over a year, then the main round occurs the next year alongside the preliminaries for the next tournament.

The prize for every entrant is €125,000/(finishing place rounded to 2 to the nearest integer power), this includes preliminaries. A player will get the combined prize money all their entrants achieve. On the other hand, every pro is given $125,000/the number of pros for entering the tournament.

Japan-Taiwan Cup
12 Pros from Taiwan&Japan, 1 pro Each from Korea and beijing-China, 1 amateur each form Korea, Taiwan, beijing-China, Japan. 10 Players from Europe and Americas. 2 players from the rest of Southeast Asia. 2 players from the rest of Asia and Africa and Oceania. 32 female pros, 16 from Taiwan&Japan, 8 from Korea, 8 from China, each qualifying through a double elimination preliminary. Then 4 groups of 8 players in a quadruple elimination. The qualifiers from that enter a 32-player double elimination where in the final the winner of the winners tournament needs to win only one game to win the tournament while the winner of the loser's tournament must win twice to win the tournament. On the side is an online 7-player-per-team tournament of Korea, Korea Female, Taiwan, Taiwan Female, Japan, Japan Female, China, China Female, non-KTJC East Asia, non KTJC female, and Rest of World, Rest of World Female. Team order is determined beforehand and remains the same each round. The first stage is a Four-round swiss of simultaneous play pairings of two matches each, one where each player play the other according to their equivalent position, then another in which the orders are reversed.

World 棋聖, World 碁聖.
Works exactly the same as the Japanese Kisei but internationally among all pros, also exactly 64 of the players must either be amateurs or outside Taipei-controlled China, Korea, Japan, beijing-controlled China. Together this means the preliminary stages will have a few more rounds. Same as the Japanese Gosei but the preliminaries are split into two groups with equal number of places, one internationally among all pros apart from china qiyuan pros and at least 32 of the players must either be amateurs or outside Taipei-controlled China, Korea, Japan, beijing-controlled China, the other for all players china qiyuan and taiwan cultural qiyuan pros and all beijing-controlled china ands taipei-controlled china citizens.

Post #28 Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:21 pm 
Lives in sente

Unless specified, tournaments without part of the name of their specific game in their name are a combination of Shogi, Xjianggqi, Chess and Lentears into a single tournament Xjiangshochess. The Major-Majors have two-day finals and a total prize fund of $1,024,000, the Minor-Majors $128,000 they cycle as:

Life Lens (Lentears), double elimination held around the solstices.

Wealth Window is a team tournament, Seuole Sphere (Lentears) uses lentear rules. Taiwan Group has 16 players of Taiwanese origin including 4 women pros, 2 O45's, 2 U18's, 2 Amateurs, 8 Players of Chinese origin including 1 O45, 1 U16, 2 Amateur, 6 players of America's and Oceanic Origin, 2 players from places outside of KJC Europe and Americas. The Japan group has 16 pros of Japanese Origin including 4 women 2 O45's, 2 U18's, 2 Amateurs, 8 pros of South Korean Origin including 2 Women 1 O45, 1 U16, 1 Amateur, 6 players of European Origin, 2 from North Korea. After 5 rounds of Swiss in each group, the 6th round pairs players from the different groups together in order of wins. The Taiwan Group uses Area scoring while the Japan Group uses territory scoring. The final game uses both, the final territory difference is the average from the two methods. A third group holds a similar tournament for Women amateur players from all regions.

Half-annual tournaments mostly for Combined Mindsports
Year 1: Kuksuson国際的手, Meijin名人, Oza王座, Oi王位, Kio棋王, Eio叡王
Year 2: Kisei棋聖, Supreme Mind, Heart Hand心手, Fighting Spirit闘氣 Gosei (Lentears), Ōshō王将 ((elephant) Chesshogi).

Heart Hand心手 uses Korean rules with 16 Qualifiers are held in Korea, 6 in China, 6 in Japan, 2 in Taiwan, 2 from finalists of the life lens Fighting Spirit闘氣 uses Japanese rules with 16 Qualifiers are held in Japan, 6 in China, 6 in Korea, 2 in Taiwan, 2 from finalists of the Life Lens.

Post #29 Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:57 am 
Lives in sente

Lentitear Cup

Lentitear rules: No passes allowed, dual area-territory scoring where territory is counted as 1 point with territory in mutual life dived between each side according to the number of stones in the surrounding boundary, while stones are counted as 1/2 point with komi being 7 black stones pre-captured at the start, sequences of moves that repeat twice result in a draw unless it doesn't involve a capture of more than 1 stone in which case it results in a loss for the side that played the first move in the sequence.

$1,000,000 10 hours plus ten periods of 100 seconds per move, two two day games with the winner being the on with the highest score difference between both games with resination counting as a loss by 8 points, in the case of a draw a third game with 100 seconds increment is played and if that game is a draw on points, whoever used the least time overall wins, otherwise the game is replayed with 10 seconds increment

$512000 9 hours + 9x 99 seconds byo-yomi, two two day games with the winner being the on with the highest score difference between both games with resination counting as a loss by 8 points, in the case of a draw a third game with 9x 99 seconds byo-yomi is played and if that game is a draw on points, whoever used the least time overall wins, otherwise the game is replayed with 9 seconds increment

$256000 8 hours + 8x 88 seconds byo-yomi, two two day games with the winner being the on with the highest score difference between both games with resination counting as a loss by 8 points, in the case of a draw a third game with 88 seconds increment is played and if that game is a draw on points, whoever has the most time left on their clock wins on time, otherwise the game is replayed with 8 seconds increment

$128000 5 hours + 5x 55 seconds byo-yomi, if it's a draw it's replayed with remaing time, and if the replayed game is a draw whoever has the most time left on their clock wins on time, otherwise the game is replayed with 5 seconds increment

$64000 3 hours + 3x 33 seconds byo-yomi if it's a draw it's replayed with remaing time, and if the replayed game is a draw on points whoever has the most time left on their clock wins on time, otherwise the game is replayed with 3 seconds increment

$32000 3 hours + 3x 33 seconds byo-yomi if it's a draw it's replayed with remaing time, and if the replayed game is a draw on points whoever has the most time left on their clock wins on time, otherwise the game is replayed with 3 seconds increment

Main tournament, previous people in round of 8 are seeded while others are from 24 qualifers each held once a week. Priority is given to players who have one at least one game in a previous international main tournament or preliminary.

$16000 1 hour + 10 seconds increment

$8000 1 hour + 10 seconds increment

$4000 1 hour + 10 seconds increment

$2000 1 hour + 10 seconds increment

$1000 1 hour + 10 seconds increment

Final preliminary

$512 10 seconds increment

$256 10 seconds increment

$128 10 seconds increment

$64 10 seconds increment

$32 10 seconds increment

$16 10 seconds increment

$8 10 seconds increment

$4 10 seconds increment

$2 10 seconds increment

$1 10 seconds increment

First preliminary

Throughout, pairings between players who play in the same territory are avoided, while pairings between players who are citizens of the same territorial but play in a different territory are seeked. Afterwards, pairings female players and players from territories with the fewest win loss score, which in the first round is the territory with the fewest representative players in that preliminary or in the main tournament. Games between players who have won all all their previous games in the current holding of the tournament that are drawn are replayed with remaing time, and if the replayed game is a draw whoever has the most time left on their clock wins on time. Those who lose a game continue playing as a swiss in which they can change their position according to how far they got in the knockout and change their prize money.

If you want an invite, say here haha

Post #30 Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:47 am 
Lives in sente

The first edition is held in a year while future editions are held over 4 years. Preliminaries are in Korea while the Main tournament is in Japan.

Post #31 Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:08 am 
Lives in sente

correction: sequences of moves that repeat twice result in a draw unless it doesn't involve a capture of more than 1 stone in which case it results in a loss for the side that played the first move in the sequence. ---> sequences of moves that repeat twice result in a draw unless no more than 1 stone per turn was captured in the sequence, in which case the game is scored immediately as is, or if it doesn't involve a capture of more than 1 stone throughout the entire sequence, in which case it results in a loss for the side that played the first move in the sequence.

I don't understand why people claim that the shenanigans of Japanese rules have anything to do with it using territory scoring. Removing the possibility of passes from territory scoring makes it just as convenient as area scoring during play. I've waited for years but no one has explained to me how this view could be inaccurate, therefore from now I shall presume it as a likely fact perhaps overlooked or most likely ignored by most people for some weird reason I don't understand, until I brought it up the past few years.

Post #32 Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:02 am 
Lives in sente

addition: when a game is replayed, the replay starts of with traditional chinese starting placement of stones at crossing starpoints.

Post #33 Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:07 am 
Lives in sente

Based on my initial idea in 2014,

Each region would send an even number of male and female players: China 8 Korea 8 Japan 8 Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau 8 Rest of Asia 8 Americas 8 Europe 8 Oceania, Pacific and Africa 8

To determine the seeding, each territory selects a player to play against each other territory, with the seeding for each country determined by the territories with the most wins being given higher seeds with 8 from the territory with the most wins will have the 1st seeds and so on . . . Then in the knockout, players a paired with the higher seeds playing lower seeds with same gender pairings avoided.

day 1 round of 64 30 minutes + 1*5 second fischer
day 1 round of 32 60 minutes + 1*10 seconds びょ 読み
day 2 round of 16 3 hours + 3*30 seconds びょ 読み
day 3 round of 8 5 hours + 5*50 second びょ 読み
From day 1 to day to to day 3 those who are knocked out play in a swiss held simultaneously, with time limits increasing per round as according to the knockout tournament

At another date organised, the semi finals and finals are held, with them being single games with the weaker player determining the colours, the stronger players being the one with the better international tournament record the preceding 365 days, Semi finals are 8 hours * 8*88 seconds びょ 読み, Final is 9 hours + 9*99 seconds びょ 読み

edit 2024 Jan 18: completely forgot to add the 三四TV CUP idea: 日本棋院, 関西棋院, 韓国棋院, 二中棋院, submit to each other a list of the 24 of their pros with the highest prize money ranking that year. Then, the list is combined into 96, and after converting currencies at the start of the April 1st markets, the top 24 pros with the top prize money ranking across all the major Asian associations play in a knockout with the familiar time controls 1*30sec + 10*<60sec, at K바둑