It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: At which age should you teach your child Go?
Post #1 Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:54 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 1
KGS: AVAVT
So my son just got his 1st birthday 2 weeks ago. This got me thinking. Since I'm pretty sure I want him to like Go (so I could get someone to play with when he grows up), I'm really, really wondering which age is a good time to introduce the game to him. I'm scared that if I teach him the game too soon he might hate it because it's too difficult, but if I teach him too late maybe he won't be as good as other kids in the club and will get bored & quit.

So what do you think? Normally when should one introduce his child to Go?

I also thinking about other things as well, like should I just teach him or should I get his friends to learn together too. That might be a double-edged sword, like if their friends quit he might quit too...

Post subject: Re: At which age should you teach your child Go?
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:36 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
When he's interested?

This post by Kirby was liked by 4 people: Bantari, Bill Spight, Bonobo, ez4u

Post #3 Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:49 am 
Dies in gote

Well... that's true, but I don't think kid will get interested in mind sports voluntarily, do they?
I myself wasn't interested in any kind of board game until mid teen...

Post #4 Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:35 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 148
Universal go server handle: Polama
Children are incredibly curious: if you're playing go, they'll eventually want to play too. They might end up disliking it, but they'll at least try to mimic mommy or daddy's actions at some point.

My advice would be to follow the kid's lead. If they just want to put down stones for fun, that's a good place to start. If they're naturally competitive, give them a huge handicap and let them work there way up. They might enjoy replaying a game from a tablet or computer to a board. The next stone appears on the screen, they find where it goes on the board. If they enjoy, they'll ask to play. If they're cool on it, put it away for now.

When they first start, a 9x9 or smaller is probably all the attention span you can expect. Or lots of abandoned fuseki =)

My first is on the way, so I can't speak to the age they'll be ready, maybe 3 or 4? Old enough not to try to eat the stones, anyways.

This post by Polama was liked by: Bonobo

Post #5 Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:52 pm 
Dies in gote

Ah yeah, the thing about eating the stones. Is it true or just a myth I wonder. My son's very good at determining what's digestible. My goban's at the corner of my room and he had once spilt the stones on the floor, but aside from playing with them he didn't seem to have the slightest intention of eating... (I watched) He chomp down vegetables really fast on the other hand.

As for board size, I got a "Teaching go for kid" compilation from my mentor, it suggests staring with 6x6 or 7x7 board, I guess I'll just go with that. Oh and for the sake of reference the book also suggests introducing the game to your kid at around 4-6 yrs old :D

Post #6 Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:53 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I think you are too late. I think his mother had to sleep with Invincible under here pillow during pregnancy to ensure osmotic absorbtion. Better, he should have been conceived over a goban. :D

Seriously though, I think you have to just see how children take it. I don't think you can force it. Play stones on the board in front of them (from Invincible of course) and let it happen naturally. If they are interested they will ask.

This post by DrStraw was liked by: Bonobo

Post #7 Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:33 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 22
Touya started at 2, that is when my child is going to start lol

Post #8 Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:08 pm 
Dies in gote

Subotai wrote:

I can assure you that 2 is too soon.

Post #9 Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:20 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 153
AVAVT wrote:
Subotai wrote:

I am sure that it depends ...

Most important is what DrStraw said: You must not enforce it !!!

There is no guarantee that your child finds Go attractive, just because you are a passionate Go player.

In the very beginning, there is also nothing wrong with letting your child "playing" with the material as it likes (e.g. building pyramids with the stones).

Please also note that it might be quite hard work for your child to sit still for a longer time, if it is very agile.

Igo Hatsuyōron #120 (really solved by KataGo)

Post #10 Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:57 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I remember Guo Juan 5p saying when she was a young child she liked to play with the Go stones and draw flowers with them.

Post #11 Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:16 am 
Dies in gote

Cassandra wrote:
AVAVT wrote:
Subotai wrote:

I am sure that it depends ...

Most important is what DrStraw said: You must not enforce it !!!

There is no guarantee that your child finds Go attractive, just because you are a passionate Go player.

In the very beginning, there is also nothing wrong with letting your child "playing" with the material as it likes (e.g. building pyramids with the stones).

Please also note that it might be quite hard work for your child to sit still for a longer time, if it is very agile.

This Penny Arcade comic precisely describe my current fear T_T
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2015/ ... phenomenon

This post by AVAVT was liked by: Bonobo

Post #12 Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:31 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 82
Was liked: 65
AVAVT wrote:
Ah yeah, the thing about eating the stones. Is it true or just a myth I wonder.

Dunno, but I used to play go with a Japanese woman who is the mother of a strong pro. She said she knew her sprog was destined for a career in go from all the stones she had to retrieve from the baby's nappy (diaper). Just make sure they aren't glass stones (to avoid sharp edges). Shell and slate seem to go through a digestive tract without suffering too much damage.

And Kobayashi Izumi says she was propped up in front of a goban at eight months.....

Post #13 Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:15 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
AVAVT wrote:
Well... that's true, but I don't think kid will get interested in mind sports voluntarily, do they?

Thus, we have to force them... but at what age? ;)

Seriously, I think it is best to expose your kid to as many different things as possible, but then encourage him/her to follow the things he/she shows interest in. In this respect, the only things a parent has control over and should enforce are: balance and moderation.

Balance: your kid should be exposed to a balanced field of things, i.e. both mental and physical, scientific and artistic, etc.
And Moderation: no single interest should overshadow everything else. This is where sometimes boundries need to be enforced.

On a practical side:
It might be your kid will never like Go. Or it might be he/she will love it from the first sight. Let the kid decide what it will be.

Just an opinion. ;)

Post #14 Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:21 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 8
KGS: 6 kyu
I remember learning chess when I was seven. I was so obsessed with the game that my grandfather gave me one of his boards and I would carry it around outside all day looking for opponents.

He would play me by taking off the queen from his side of the board and he always won quickly despite being a queen short.

Post #15 Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:18 pm 
Dies in gote

Bantari wrote:
And Moderation: no single interest should overshadow everything else. This is where sometimes boundries need to be enforced.

Why Bantari? We might have different point of view here, but I think if you try to keep your kid moderate in everything he might grow up to be a boring person with no actual hobby.

lemonpie wrote:
I remember learning chess when I was seven. I was so obsessed with the game that my grandfather gave me one of his boards and I would carry it around outside all day looking for opponents.

He would play me by taking off the queen from his side of the board and he always won quickly despite being a queen short.

Haha I guess you're kind of like me, the more you lose to someone strong you know the more you want to play with them. I had trouble teaching my wife Go because she'd always say "Why? You'd win anyway." and at that I have no real answer...

Post #16 Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:04 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
AVAVT wrote:
Bantari wrote:

Why Bantari? We might have different point of view here, but I think if you try to keep your kid moderate in everything he might grow up to be a boring person with no actual hobby.

By the same token you might argue that grade school should teach only one subject. Or, more to the point, that the child can pick one subject and stop learning anything else. You will end up with another Fisher. Interesting? Certainly. But not sure that this is what you want your kid to grow into.

What I mean by my original post is that moderation does not necessary mean that you do everything with equal dedication or interest. Only that you should not allow one subject or interest to completely dominate your child's development.

And when you think about that, it will become obvious to you as well how bad this would be. Say your kid develops a great love for Go. He is 7, with some 15k rating, but all he wants to do is play Go. Would you make him also go to school, or would you allow him to do what he feels like? I personally don't know any parent who would allow that.

Philosophically, one of the most important role of a parent is to prepare the kid for the ret of his life. The lesson that you cannot always only do what you feel like, that sometimes it is necessary to do other stuff as well - it is an important lesson.

Just my opinion. Not trying to tell you how to raise your kid, just explaining my own opinion.

This post by Bantari was liked by 2 people: AVAVT, hyperpape

Post #17 Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:43 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
My daughter first started playing around with the board and stones when she was two, learned about atari and capture, and has shown interest off and on. She also liked the Cho U Tsumego app.

Nonetheless, she's 5 1/2 and has almost never played a full 9x9 game. This spring, after I went to a tournament that had some kids who were 7 and 8, she told me she wanted to go to the next tournament. But that didn't translate into wanting to play through an entire game.

Anyway, my advice is see if your kids show interest, if they see you with a board/ipad so on. If they do, try things and see what sticks. Maybe they'll play, maybe they won't.

This post by hyperpape was liked by 2 people: AVAVT, Bonobo