It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go players to play in person in the Florida Panhandle?
Post #1 Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:58 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 24
OGS: Saint Ravitt
I once found a guy on the internet who I met up with for one game but he moved to Dallas. Other than that, the only people I've ever played on my goband was my wife (who just plays to spend time with me) and myself (who I play almost as much as I play other people). Almost all of my Go playing life has been over the internet and I don't know if the game will ever rise in popularity in my area. I'd like to start a club but have no idea how to get people coming to learn a game they've never heard of. Everyone around here just plays chess. Anyone lucky enough to live in a "Go rich" society?

Post subject: Re: Able to find Go players to play in person?
Post #2 Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:26 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
It might help if you just put the name of the place you live in the thread title :-) [admin] Done. -JB [/admin]

<edit>

And for some more content: I also live in a Go diaspora, out in the country, in Northern Germany. I have entered “my” Go club meeting time into a list of Go clubs on the German Go Association’s Web site … I guess the AGA and other national Go associations have similar things so Go players can find each other.

And if that doesn’t help … perhaps you can find somebody on the World Go Clubs (Google) Map.

</edit>

Last edited by Bonobo on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Able to find Go players to play in person?
Post #3 Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:37 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 24
OGS: Saint Ravitt
Good point. I live in Destin, Florida, USA.

Post subject: Re: Go players to play in person in the Florida Panhandle?
Post #4 Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:41 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
One of the best (though perhaps the most difficult) ways to find local go players, is to grow your own.

Find a public place to study, coffee shop, sandwich shop, library. Spend about 2 hours once a week there. Be consistent and punctual. Print up some simple flyers to hand out. People will stop by and ask about the game, you'll be able to introduce the game to a few.

You may even find a surprisingly number of people who already know how to play.

Also, check out the Asian communities. The Koreans especially may already have a Baduk club in some strip-mall that you can visit.

This post by xed_over was liked by: goTony

Post subject: Re: Go players to play in person in the Florida Panhandle?
Post #5 Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:42 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 60
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
xed_over wrote:
One of the best (though perhaps the most difficult) ways to find local go players, is to grow your own.

Find a public place to study, coffee shop, sandwich shop, library. Spend about 2 hours once a week there. Be consistent and punctual. Print up some simple flyers to hand out. People will stop by and ask about the game, you'll be able to introduce the game to a few.

You may even find a surprisingly number of people who already know how to play.

Also, check out the Asian communities. The Koreans especially may already have a Baduk club in some strip-mall that you can visit.

Hello Joel,

I agree with above. You may be surprised who may be interested. Fliers are a great way to advertise. I would go to the same place at a regular time and maybe even ask your long suffering wife to play with you in public a few times. You can treat her after to a cup of coffee and something sweet. :) You will get a number of people to look and ask questions only a small number will actually ever learn to play.

Place your fliers at colleges, coffeeshops, public bulletin boards, and the library! Talk to the local Chess club meet them one of their nights and see if anyone is interested in learning. Start a group at the library or a local school, homeschoolers are often interested in demos and learning this kind of thing. Book and Game stores might be happy to have you give a demo. Newspapers will often post community events for free. Our club is listed weekly. Meetup the website often has local gamers. See if they will let their members know. What about Asian supermarkets? Would they put up a flier for you?

This site lists two players in the panhandle your probably one :)
http://findgoplayers.com/

If your near the Airbase you may be surprized who may be interested.

Okay now that I overstated my case forgive my enthusiasm. I may not be the greatest GO player but I really love the game and you do need a certain amount of enthusiasm to get people interested. Lastly do not be discouraged that many people will not play or will only show up once. GO is not for everyone just like neither is Golf. And with so many other options out there it is a hard sell. But persistence, enthusiasm, and a nice GOBAN and decent stones will get a few people interested. Good luck and best wishes. If your ever in WW come and play with us the first beer is on me!

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony