All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hoshizora no Karasu Go manga
Post #1 Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:25 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 81
Online playing schedule: A schedule..? When hell freezes over... maybe. ^^;
Hi everybody!

When I was in Japan a few weeks ago, I stumpled upon the Go manga Hoshizora no Karasu (click here for a short synapsis on the beginning of the manga) and bought all six volumes of it. Now, I'm only a beginner in Japanese language and "reading" the manga is a very hard and time-consuming task for me. So I wondered if anyone else here reads this manga and may give me a hint or two - do you know a website that lists a few information on the characters - preferrably in English? (Japanese might be ok, too, depending on the Google translation XD) I already searched myself but I wasn't successful and thought that maybe someone here could help.

And even if you can't help but know the manga, I'd love to hear what you like and what you dislike about the series! I don't mind to be spoilered, but in case someone else does, please use spoiler tags if you write a summary of the story line/a chapter or any other story development happening). :-) I guess I'll start.

Well, first of all I reall like the drawings a lot. It is totally different from Hikaru no Go (which I loved, too) and goes more in the direction of shojou (girl) mangas (obviously, since that's the target group XD). Usually, I'm not really into shoujou manga/anime, but here I like it and I really wish for more of those beautiful coloured pages. The characters also seem to be a good mixture of everything and I'm really looking forward to seeing how they will develop (hope they will!). About the story.. Well, I guess it is kind of obvious that the two main characters are falling in love at some point.. I mean, it is a shoujou manga and there are strong hints in the first volumes. But still, I think the story is interesting to follow because of the Go story, since (from what I can tell from mainly just going through the volumes and looking at the pictures) everything doesn't go as smoothly as in Hikaru no Go. In Hikaru, however, I liked the accurate presentation of what it is like to be an Insei and how to become pro etc. and how smoothly that was incorporated in the story. In Hoshizora no Karasu I've been missing much of this so far - but since I already miss about 95% of the text, too, this impression might be very wrong. ^^;

And how about you?

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:16 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Ember,

Congrats on discovering a manga you like!

Any photos from your Japan visit ? :)
Quote:
I really like the drawings a lot ... more in the direction of shojou
Unfortunately, this style is not my cup of tea. :-|
Quote:
everything doesn't go as smoothly as in HNG
Of course, without any conflict, there's no story. :)

Enjoy! :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Hoshizora no Karasu Go manga
Post #3 Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:58 am 
Lives with ko

Hi EdLee,

thanks for your comment! Sorry to hear that the drawing style put you off reading the manga.. Maybe you'll still give it a try someday (?). :)

@ photos: Sure, a minimal percentage of photos is on MagicMagor and my blog. It still isn't finished although we've been back for quite some time.. But we definitely want to finish it when everyday life has calmed down again..

Post subject:
Post #4 Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:48 am 
Honinbo

Hi Ember,

Oh! You went on the Oasaka Go camp!
The tatami floor playing rooms look so nice!
Are you in any of the photos ? No idea which one is you.
Are you the one with the owls on your shoulder ?? :)

Post subject: Re:
Post #5 Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:14 am 
Lives with ko

EdLee wrote:
Hi Ember,
Are you the one with the owls on your shoulder ?? :)

Maybe.. ;-)

Post subject:
Post #6 Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:20 am 
Honinbo

The owls looked very cute. :)
I've only experienced budgies on my head, shoulders, and fingers, ...
no owls yet. :)

Post #7 Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:53 am 
Lives with ko

@ EdLee: Well, off to Japan you go! ;-)

Concerning the topic: I startet a small introduction to a few of the main characters. Main source for this was the Japanese Wikipedia page on Hoshizora no karasu (some things I could only guess because of the translation "quality" ^^;) and the translated scans of the first chapter (couldn't find any more English translations, just one Russian translation of the second chapter). There probably are quite a few mistakes here and if you find one (or more), please tell me and I'll put it right. :)

Main characters:

KARASUMA Waka (烏丸 和歌 -からすま わか)
Waka is the female main characters of the series. She is in first grade, middle school. Although she is only 13 years old, she is already 1,65m tall and looks much older than she actually is. She learned Go from her grandfather, who was a professional player, when she was a child. She is very passionate about Go and loves the game so much that she even forgot to get her hair cut. Her mother has been despising Go since her own father (the above mentioned grandfather) left his dying wife to play more Go. Because of this, she forbid Waka to play Go – however, Waka has continued to play secretly. Waka has a pet goat which goes by the name of “Clam”.

SAGISAKA Souji (鷺坂 総司 -さぎさか そうじ)
Souji is the male main character of the series. His grandfather was a famous professional player, too. Souji turned pro when he was 12 years old and now, five years later, he is a 7p. He entered the Meijin league at the age of only 16, which made him the youngest player to ever enter the league. He is a strong player. When Waka meets him for the second time, he is on his way to play the challenger decision match for the Meijin title. At first Souji appears to be rude and a bit vulgar but actually he is a good guy. He is quite superstitious and frequently reads divinations about him or others.

Important characters - Waka’s Family

KARASUMA ?? ()
?? is Waka’s mother. She strongly despises Go and Go players alike since she firmly believes that all Go players are heartless brutes just like her father who left his wife dying alone to play. Although she seems like a kind an gentle woman, she is very strict when it comes to Go and forbid her daughter to meet with her grandfather or to play.

?? ()
?? is Waka’s grandfather. He used to be a professional Go player but has retired some time ago. He seems a bit grumpy and scary, especially to young Waka. But despite this she loved him and felt sorry for him being shunned out of the family. When she first got interested in the game at a young age, he started to teach her. He had a huge impact in her way of playing since Waka’s foremost wish is to “always make your moves resonate with your opponent” – just like her grandfather always told her to.

KARASUMA Ritsu (烏丸里津 -らすま りつ)
Ritsu is 17 years old and goes to second year of highschool. She’s Waka’s cousin. Ritsu likes shopping and therefore has a lot of clothes. She supports Waka’s wish to play Go by not telling her mother that Waka still continues to play and by lending Waka her school uniform. Although the uniform is actually a bit too small for Waka, it makes her appearance in Go clubs less suspicious.

Important characters
IIZUKA (飯塚 -いいづか)
Ritsu’s (and the reader’s) Go teacher on the bonus pages. He explains the game for beginners so that even readers with no knowledge about Go can enjoy the manga).

SUDOU (首藤 -すどう)
Professional player. He and Souji are friends, they’ve known each other since they were both insei.

YOUKAMACHI Gin (八日町 吟 -ようかまち ぎん)
Gin is 13 years old and, like Waka, goes to first year of middle school. He is a strong player and already won several children’s tournaments. He seems aggressive and arrogant. Despite his talent for Go, his parents want him to become a physician, like his father.

NIWA Hiroshi (丹羽 宏 -にわ ひろし)
?? translation was unclear..

KOKORYOU Hatsuki (国領 葉月 -こくりょう はづき)
Ehemaliger Insei. Alter Bekannter von Waka (?).

NAGUMO Seiichiruu (南雲清一郎 -なぐも せいいちろう) 
Seiichiruu is a 9dan professional Go player. His first appearance is in the first chapter where he is Souji's opponent in the challenger decision match for the Meijin title. He has a poor health.

I'll try to spend more time on this but since time is sparse at the moment.. :-/

Post #8 Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:32 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
I enjoyed the story so far. I like that it's more realistic than Hikaru no Go and has more characters with more personality.

Next book release is in two weeks. :)

Post #9 Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:45 am 
Lives with ko

Good to hear that someone here reads the manga! How far have you read the manga at this moment and which chapter did you like best so far? Who is your favourite character? :)

By the way, where are you getting your books from, oren? Right now, I have a friend in Japan who will ship me the book next and maybe the one after that, too, but after that... I don't know. Someone has put an offer up on German Amazon for first 6 books as a set, but I'd never EVER consider buying that because they are insanely expensive: 160€ (used). :shock:

While I was researching on the manga yesterday, I found a very fresh call (5 days old) from a scanlation team who wants to do Hoshizora no karasu but who need people to translate from Chinese to English for this manga. I'd love to post the link but I'm pretty sure it is illegal, so I won't. But in case someone feels up to the task.. :roll:

Post #10 Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:12 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 153
Was liked: 41
Universal go server handle: happysocks
It sound really interesting, what are the chances of this ever getting translated into English legitimately.

Post #11 Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:21 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Ember wrote:
Good to hear that someone here reads the manga! How far have you read the manga at this moment and which chapter did you like best so far? Who is your favourite character? :)

By the way, where are you getting your books from, oren? Right now, I have a friend in Japan who will ship me the book next and maybe the one after that, too, but after that... I don't know. Someone has put an offer up on German Amazon for first 6 books as a set, but I'd never EVER consider buying that because they are insanely expensive: 160€ (used). :shock:

I don't know if I have a major favorite character. There is an interesting one who wants to become the protagonist's teacher that I like.

I usually order from amazon.co.jp. Even with delivery to the US it's often cheaper than the local Japanese bookstore.

To the other question, I doubt we would see this get translated to English officially.

Post #12 Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:59 pm 
Lives with ko

@ happysocks: I guess, oren is right about the (official) translation. The manga started at least 2 years ago and nothing happened so far, so..

@ oren: Thanks for the heads-up, I guess I'll have to try get an account on Amazon JP then.

Post #13 Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:43 am 
Lives with ko

Hoshizora no Karasu has been picked up for translation again! :D

So far, 6 chapters have been released and it looks like that a (roughly) regular update of new chapters will be posted. I don't think I may post a link to the scanlation here, but you can find it quite easily yourself. I really like it a lot so far and really hope that they finish it this time. Keep your fingers crossed!

Post #14 Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:08 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 4
OGS: driph
Ember wrote:
Hoshizora no Karasu has been picked up for translation again! :D

So far, 6 chapters have been released and it looks like that a (roughly) regular update of new chapters will be posted. I don't think I may post a link to the scanlation here, but you can find it quite easily yourself. I really like it a lot so far and really hope that they finish it this time. Keep your fingers crossed!

Thank you for the heads up!