It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I have a dilemma
Post #21 Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:36 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
CnP wrote:
Play fighting games until you get sick of getting beaten by stronger players? I don't know if forcing yourself to do problems is efficient (I don't think the mind learns things well that you don't want to learn).

If you don't like tsumego, don't force yourself.

Playing fighting games may be a good idea, because it forces you to read in the game. If you do that (and play with time limits that allow you to read something) that should do for now. Also practice reading ladders, because there is never trouble about the right spot to start reading (and no tendency to memorize shapes, vital points etc.) but it is pushing yourself to visualize. (http://senseis.xmp.net/?path=LadderExercises)

Post #22 Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:51 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Nah, you should force yourself.

Post #23 Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:08 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
Moving out of your comfort zone is a great learning experience.

Post #24 Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:18 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Personal opinion only:
If its no fun, don't do it.

This is pretty much my approach. I tried Go problems now and then, found them boring every single time, and let them be every single time. And guess what, I still improved. I figured... I can sit and do problems for an hour... or I can play a game which will present me with better problems to solve on each move! So I pretty much always chose to play a game instead of doing problems... Same thing, only better.

Basically, if improving is for you more important than having fun, or improving by itself, as a general concept, gives enough satisfaction to outweight the boredom of solving problems, then solve problems. But from the very fact that you ask what you ask - I gather it is not the case. If it was worth it for you to work on boring problems, you would be doing it rather than asking if its worth it, no? ;)

Also, I am not all that convinced that solving problems is the most efficient way to improve for everybody.

PS.
I can see some shadows of the other discussions we had, about rank obsession.
Lets not go there... or shall we? ;)

Post #25 Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:17 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
My tsumego+ time is usually somewhere around GMT 4am-8am on weekdays in the godiscussions.com room on KGS. Unfortunately as it is purely for fun, it is just an occasional session without any set schedule. So you just have to be around the room when we study.

We usually look at tsumego and tesuji problems, but we also study other interesting items.

As most of you probably know, I have a large collection of Asian go books which are not easily found in most libraries. So I try to sample from these and prepare some interesting problems (some of which can be challenging even for dans).

The idea is a collaborative study where we are able to see the thinking process of different levels of understanding and hopefully to be able to improve our own. I try to pass the control to the lower ranked participants first and then if they are unable to solve it, I would pass the control to higher ranked people. I think this makes problems less boring as we learn from each other trying to figure out why certain problems work and what are the best responses for both sides.

Currently we have a few people in the SDK and shodan levels who regularly attend. If we get more people in the DDK level, I may include some easier problems to cater to their needs as well.