It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to request a fix to a hijacked page in SL?
Post #1 Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:42 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Someone deleted all the content from my home page on SL. The previous, correct version is still there but I am unaware as to how to restore it. Cutting and pasting will lose all formatting so that is not the answer. I sent an e-mail to Arno but I know he can be busy and may not have time to reply. Does anyone here know how to fix it or is there anyone with privileges in SL to delete a page version?

Post subject: Re: How to request a fix to a hijacked page in SL?
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:55 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
I no longer log in to SL. (I used to be logged in automatically, but that was long ago.) I seem to recall that if you are logged in you can revert to the previous version of your page.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:07 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I believe you have to have one of the special roles. I logged in, but was unable to revert.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:07 am 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
If that is the case I don't see how to do it.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:08 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 216
I tried to restore it. I did a diff, copied the deleted lines, and removed the leading "-" from the diff. DrStraw is this the version you want? Please remove the note at top of the page if it's ok now.

http://senseis.xmp.net/?DrStraw

This post by yoyoma was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, DrStraw

Post #6 Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:09 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
DrStraw, you can always try to contact Arno Hollosi, see http://senseis.xmp.net/?ArnoHollosi

yoyoma wrote:
[..] DrStraw is this the version you want? [..]

I’m not DrStraw but from what I can see (after clicking “latest diff” on the bottom of the page, then clicking “previous diff” at the top, and then again “previous diff” at the top) it seems to be alright now.

<edit>

See also http://senseis.xmp.net/?Vandalism;
Quote from there:
Sensei’s Library wrote:
Reviving pages

If a page has been defaced by a wiki vandal, the previous version can be revived. See reviving pages.

—> http://senseis.xmp.net/?RevivingPages
And maybe it would be a good idea to add the IP number of the person to the vandalism page’s Vandal IP List?

</edit>

<edit 2>

corrected to “DrStraw”

</edit 2>

Last edited by Bonobo on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:12 pm 
Oza

yoyoma wrote:
I tried to restore it. I did a diff, copied the deleted lines, and removed the leading "-" from the diff. DrStraw is this the version you want? Please remove the note at top of the page if it's ok now.

Perfect. Thank you very much.

Post #8 Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:14 pm 
Oza

Bonobo wrote:
Dr. Straw, you can always try to contact Arno Hollosi, see http://senseis.xmp.net/?ArnoHollosi

I did, but I know he is busy so I thought I would also ask here.

BTW, I am DrStraw, not Dr. Straw. Dr. Straw is a different professor at the university I teach at.

Post #9 Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:45 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 67
I'm one of the sleeping librarians, who have a few extra administrative rights on Sensei's library, and so I can revert to any old version of a page. You can use the method indicated at http://senseis.xmp.net/?RevivingPages to revert the last edit person's edit, but that only takes you back one version. It doesn't let you go back to choose from any old version.

I have reverted your page to the version I believe you wish for, version 72 from 14th July 2015.

To my perception, it appears someone has vandalized your page twice recently. As Sensei's library is open to anyone to edit that is an easy thing to do. If I spot a pattern in the IP addresses used, I will block their IP addresses.

Additionally, I do have the administrative rights to lock the page, preventing anyone editing it. I'm holding off from doing that for now. Locking pages is distasteful. It conflicts with the 'anyone can edit anything' SL wiki philosophy. So I'm trying to take the light touch approach, leaning towards ignoring difficult behavior for now.

This post by PeterHB was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Joaz Banbeck

Post #10 Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:09 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 27
PeterHB wrote:
It appears someone has vandalized your page twice recently. If I spot a pattern in the IP addresses used, I will block their IP addresses.

It looks like the first IP address is that of an anonymous proxy server (proxy-de.hide.me) while the second is a Tor node.

Post #11 Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:15 am 
Oza

Hhm. Yoyoma fixed it for me and then 5 hours later it was deleted again! Seems like someone has a grudge against me for some reason. Different IP addresses as well.

Anyway, thanks for doing it. I'll have to watch the page and see if it happens again.

Post #12 Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:16 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
DrStraw wrote:
BTW, I am DrStraw, not Dr. Straw. Dr. Straw is a different professor at the university I teach at.

What? Your nick is the name of a different professor at your university? lol. What did he do to deserve this?

Post #13 Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:24 am 
Oza

daal wrote:
DrStraw wrote:

What? Your nick is the name of a different professor at your university? lol. What did he do to deserve this?

Yes, it is. I adopted the handle for all go accounts before I even started teaching there and when I arrived I found there was a real Dr. Straw teaching at the university. When I told him he seems a little amused but otherwise did not say anything about it.

Post #14 Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:55 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Edit wars happen often enough on Wikipedia that they have a standard procedure to handle it. On SL it is much rarer and I suppose it is left to the higher librarians to take care of it.

By the way, did DrStraw choose that nick because of building a house based on straw bales?

Post #15 Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:29 am 
Oza

gowan wrote:
By the way, did DrStraw choose that nick because of building a house based on straw bales?

Yes, although the original account was just "straw". Back around 2002 there was a spate of people logging on with names like DrThis or DrThat, so as a joke I created DrStraw and it stuck.

This post by DrStraw was liked by: Bonobo