Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Monkey wrote:
That is really disappointing..

To me it's a big relief. I really feared at some point they had fallen out with each other, or worse, someone died.

As it turns out, they took more responsibility and workload than they could handle, which is not uncommon for a start-up company.

There's good news in there: a baby, a real job and a promise to devote more time again later to the go community.

Of course it's a disappointment, but I'd say one in the economy the go community is able to generate. Like so many, we expect a lot to happen for free, and accept no hick-ups when paying even the slightest amount of money.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: GoGameGuru
Post #42 Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:16 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 4
JoeS1 wrote:
I can't believe they are just going to donate $100k in merchandise. That sounds insane. Figured they would at least want to make some of their money back off the remaining stock. So they could try to break even.

Same here. I was actually planning on buying all of the Hinoki press books once I had enough funds saved up to feel comfortable. If they had made the announcement, but at least kept their remaining stock for sale, I would've bought all of those books almost immediately upon the news..

The fact that they donated all of those books also raises questions to me about if they really intend to return.. but I guess we'll see.

Knotwilg wrote:
Monkey wrote:
That is really disappointing..

Of course it's a disappointment, but I'd say one in the economy the go community is able to generate. Like so many, we expect a lot to happen for free, and accept no hick-ups when paying even the slightest amount of money.

I don't agree that it's a disappointment in the go community. I get what GGG is saying about go not being profitable enough for them to hire enough people to help, but the fact was that they received too many orders for them to keep up with the demand. That is a problem that many companies wish they had. I wish they had pursued other options like raising the price of books a little in order to afford to hire the help they needed. I for one would not mind paying slightly more if it meant keeping GGG afloat.

Last edited by Monkey on Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #43 Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:25 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Monkey wrote:
I was actually planning on buying all of the Hinoki press books once I had enough funds saved up to feel comfortable. If they had made the announcement, but at least kept their remaining stock for sale, I would've bought all of those books almost immediately upon the news..

The fact that they donated all of those books also raises questions to me about if they really intend to return.. but I guess we'll see.

Quoting the GoGameGuru announcement

Quote:
What will keep going?
We intend to keep doing the following things:
Posting articles and videos about Go on this website (though perhaps the mix will change, and after a break)
Writing Go books
Publishing Go books (including bringing Hinoki books back into print and working on new books when I have time).

This post by tchan001 was liked by: Bonobo

Post #44 Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:13 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 4
tchan001 wrote:
Monkey wrote:
I was actually planning on buying all of the Hinoki press books once I had enough funds saved up to feel comfortable. If they had made the announcement, but at least kept their remaining stock for sale, I would've bought all of those books almost immediately upon the news..

Quoting the GoGameGuru announcement

Quote:
What will keep going?
We intend to keep doing the following things:
Posting articles and videos about Go on this website (though perhaps the mix will change, and after a break)
Writing Go books
Publishing Go books (including bringing Hinoki books back into print and working on new books when I have time).

I read that as well, but it's no guarantee that they will actually return to writing/publishing books. I really hope they do, but they may realize in their time off that they don't want to go back to publishing after all. It definitely would be easier to jump back into publishing when they are ready if they had kept their $100,000 worth of books.

Post #45 Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:10 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4631
Quote:
I can't believe they are just going to donate $100k in merchandise. That sounds insane. Figured they would at least want to make some of their money back off the remaining stock. So they could try to break even.

It's very sane. Stock has to be kept in a warehouse and there are delivery systems associated with that. Both things cost money, especially given the glacial speed at which go stock disappears off the shelves. All go publishing ventures have found warehousing a huge millstone round the neck.

Quote:
There simply isn’t enough time in the day to respond to all the emails, comments and other social media messages from the Go community. {gogameguru]

This may be the most disappointing part of the affair - the lack of understanding from the go community. Even from the early days of Ishi Press, a rather large number of people who buy a $5 book seem to think they have the right to enter into a long correspondence with the publisher. A fair proportion of them think they have the right to tell the publisher what he's doing wrong (it's always wrong never right). Another proportion just love to whinge. Surprisingly many seem to think they have the right to ask for favours, such as making a proxy trip from Tokyo to Osaka. I have heard the horror stories from Richard Bozulich, John Power, Bill Cobb, Sid Yuan, Chuck Robbins and others. And of course I can add my own. Only a fortnight ago a prominent member of this forum thought he had the right to ask me for free advice about Japanese art. In the past I have been pestered countless times to provide free help with school projects, translations, contacts, references - even requests to look at holiday snaps. T Mark shielded me from much of this with GoGoD. Now I just totally ignore e-mails and block PMs here (though several admins have abused their position to override this).

My experience is based largely on pre-internet times when communication meant writing a letter and buying a stamp and waiting. Even then it was a horror story. With email and social media I can hardly begin to imagine how awful it must have been for David Ormerod. Mind you, he gave GoGoD (and others) a bit of that treatment himself, haranguing us all for not joining the 21st century with him and gearing up our modest operations. He wouldn't listen to our experience. But I have no Schadenfreude. My first reaction was to show a little bit of support by buying a hardback copy of Relentless even though it's unlikely I will ever read it. I hope he will continue in some way that lets him enjoy go again. Since there is no way Joe Public will change his behaviour, I say again that he has to learn to live in a bit of an ivory tower.

Post #46 Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:10 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
I'm glad they made the announcement and I'm very much in favour of people not doing what they're not enjoying. I hope David gets some more time to play Go in the future and enjoys spending time with his new baby.

Post #47 Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:27 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 228
Was liked: 84
John Fairbairn wrote:
This may be the most disappointing part of the affair - the lack of understanding from the go community. Even from the early days of Ishi Press, a rather large number of people who buy a $5 book seem to think they have the right to enter into a long correspondence with the publisher. A fair proportion of them think they have the right to tell the publisher what he's doing wrong (it's always wrong never right). Another proportion just love to whinge. Surprisingly many seem to think they have the right to ask for favours, such as making a proxy trip from Tokyo to Osaka. I have heard the horror stories from Richard Bozulich, John Power, Bill Cobb, Sid Yuan, Chuck Robbins and others. And of course I can add my own. Only a fortnight ago a prominent member of this forum thought he had the right to ask me for free advice about Japanese art. In the past I have been pestered countless times to provide free help with school projects, translations, contacts, references - even requests to look at holiday snaps. T Mark shielded me from much of this with GoGoD. Now I just totally ignore e-mails and block PMs here (though several admins have abused their position to override this).

Is this behavior not the case for virtually any industry? This is why companies have customer service representatives. Customers routinely ask for the moon. Surely it is better to have them ask and be declined then to have them never ask at all because they're doing business with your competitors rather than with you.

John Fairbairn wrote:
I have heard the horror stories from Richard Bozulich, John Power, Bill Cobb, Sid Yuan, Chuck Robbins and others. And of course I can add my own. Only a fortnight ago a prominent member of this forum thought he had the right to ask me for free advice about Japanese art.

This is what you consider a horror story? Is there some reason responding "Sorry, I cannot help you with that." not sufficient? There must be more to the story?

I don't think the GGG problem represents a lack of understanding by the Go community. It takes literally 30 seconds to make a new post on their site saying "We're going on hiatus for X weeks/months while we sort some things out." That would have tamped down 90% of the chatter right away. It would have also created space for them to quietly clear their communications backlog at their own pace. This is all "customer facing communications 101" stuff.

This post by Drew was liked by 2 people: CnP, dust

Post #48 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:18 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4631
Drew:

From my perspective, having known most of the people who have tried various ventures for the go world, the flaw in your stance is that this is an "industry" with "customers" and "competitors".

I don't deny that dreams of filthy lucre can flash through the mind, but nearly all of the people I know who have ventured into this field have done it out of love for the game and they have seen fellow go players more as friends and a community rather than a market. Even those who started off thinking there might be some money to be made if you do it "properly", only to find there isn't, rarely slunk away. They tended to stay, slimmed down maybe, simply because they have had that community spirit.

Not very long ago, go players met each other almost exclusively at tournaments and congresses, and these were often the only places to get meet suppliers and get books and equipment. This face-to-face contact, plus the slower pace of communications, created a better bond between the supply and demand sides. But even then it was far from perfect. There were always "customers" who thought they had bought the right to be persistent, belligerent, argumentative, patronising or disruptive.

With the internet, despite its benefits, we have opened the communication floodgates and lost much face-to-face contact, and in the process lost much of the feel of being a community. And venturesome, good-hearted people are now not allowed now to make mistakes and build up experience without being hung up to dry in public. That's the way of the world and I'm a dinosaur. I accept that. But I find it sad.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Wizerdo

Post #49 Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:08 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 228
Was liked: 84
I do not share your outlook, John, but we do come from different generations. In time perhaps I'll come to see things your way, but I hope I don't. ;-)