It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 9x9 pro collection
Post #1 Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:47 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 33
The past few days I tried to collect Japanese 9x9 pro games.
See http://homepages.cwi.nl/~aeb/go/games/games/9x9/Minigo/ for the result (about 400 games).
Apart from special occasions and celebrations, 9x9 pro has as only source the Mini-Go broadcasts by Yomiuri TV. There have been 700+ games. The page mentioned has about 350.
Constructing it was a bit of detective work: for over a hundred games Gobase gives only the moves but no metadata, and it is tricky to find corresponding dates and player names.
Additions and corrections welcome.

This post by aeb was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: 9x9 pro collection
Post #2 Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:34 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Thanks – could you also please put them together in one ZIP archive? Would make it a LOT easier to d’load …

Post #3 Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:52 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 94
Was liked: 53
GD Posts: 54
Thank you for sharing :) I bet this minigo one game broadcast series would have been fun to watch. I couldn't find any broadcasts of it; from a brief search, they seem to have taken these games records and in 1998 developed some sort of instructional go software from them which explains why these records might be so hard to come by.
Here's a link to the software - wonder if it's still possible to buy it somewhere? https://goo.gl/gKHzSA

Separately, for pro v pro 9x9 games, I know of one other database. Mark5000 (I don't think he's a board member) used in the youtube series Crazy Nines which tries to survey various 9x9 openings.
>>Database<<
>>Crazy Nines Youtube series<<

Personally, I have been collecting various games myself, but into a single SGF file and focused more on high dan vs kyu/low dan players that I run into on GoQuest. I want to use it as a tool for improvement. Seeing both players play perfectly is one way; it also seems instructive to pay attention to games between stronger players and weaker players.

Visit >>>Koosh's Study Journal<<<

Post #4 Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:35 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 33
Bonobo wrote:
Could you also please put them together in one ZIP archive?

Yes - there is a download link near the bottom of http://homepages.cwi.nl/~aeb/go/games/index.html .

Koosh wrote:
Seeing both players play perfectly...

These Mini-Go games were played with 2.5 min/game, and sudden death, so show how pros play when they have no more than 5 seconds per move. About 1 in every 4 games was lost on time.

This post by aeb was liked by: Bonobo