It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A new go player
Post #1 Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:28 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
My second daughter was born on January 24, and by the time I was ready to post on the forum again the site was down. We're super excited to welcome her into our family, but the fun go-related content is with my oldest daughter who turned 4 in December. I've mentioned before that we've worked through a lot of 4x4 puzzles using the よんろのご: IGO puzzle set published by the Nihon Ki-in. Recently she wanted to play "grown-up go," so we set up a five stone handicap game on a 9x9 board. With just a little bit of advice she can beat me, though she doesn't really understand the end game conditions or even life and death. She just knows that she should connect her stones and block mine from creeping across the board, and she's delighted when she can capture some stones (she does understand the capturing rule).

When her grandfather came into town to visit our newest family member she taught him the rules (as she understands them) and promptly captured all of his stones. She even asked me to visit a go club, so we made a trip to a gathering that meets in a local library. We played one 9x9 game together before wandering off to look at children's books, but it was pretty exciting to share that experience with my daughter. She had me haul a board and stones to the playground, too, though it was a bit too chilly to enjoy sitting still that day so we just ran around instead. :-)

This post by jeromie was liked by 12 people: apetresc, Bill Spight, Bonobo, Drew, Elom, gamesorry, hyperpape, joellercoaster, Kirby, skydyr, sybob, Waylon

Post subject: Re: A new go player
Post #2 Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:09 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Congrats!

Post subject: Re: A new go player
Post #3 Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:00 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262