Post #1 Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:48 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 12
I have to build this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdCDSr5 ... tu.be&t=32
although i never created something with wood :-D

To make a table is not so difficult or?
I think the rotating board and the outsliding drawer is a little bit harder but i think i can do it with some sort of hinge?
My biggest problem is the curved wood for the drawer...otherwise i make something like a pullout drawer but that is not so beautifully.

I do not need the sliding Go-Stone-Box...i will just place my normal Go-Stone-Box in the drawer :D :D :D

We will see and i will show my results in 3-5 years :-D

Or does anyone have some hints? :study:

This post by Dragonstone was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, fireproof

Post subject: Re: I have to build this
Post #2 Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:14 pm 
Dies in gote

Soo.
I made a ground-plan with sketchup and i thought about some things which i saw while i was „sketchuping“ ;-)

-The opponent do not see the captured stones … so i will probably / maybe make two wood notch in the table frame so that everybody can see the stones.

-Which height should the table have? 40cm (15,7inch) or 50cm (19,6inch) or higher ...

-How much will the outsliding drawer hurt the knees? My Plan is that the outsliding drawer will stand out 22cm (8,6inch) …

-How deep will the stone box stand in the outsliding drawer?

In the next days I will test these things with the help of stacked books :-D

Attachments:
Test.png
Test.png [ 39.23 KiB | Viewed 11810 times ]

This post by Dragonstone was liked by: Bonobo

Post #3 Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:43 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
It seems the drawer should go on the sides rather than where the player sits, so it shouldn't have any effect on the knees. Or do I misunderstand you?

This post by jeromie was liked by: Bonobo

Post #4 Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:04 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 295
Was liked: 64
IGS: 4k
Universal go server handle: BlindGroup
jeromie wrote:
It seems the drawer should go on the sides rather than where the player sits, so it shouldn't have any effect on the knees. Or do I misunderstand you?

I agree. The side does make more sense.

One thing I was wondering is how do you attach the board to the table? It would be simple to attach them with screws or dowels, but that would mean screwing or drilling into a possibly nice goban... Maybe you could design the lips that secure the board so that they cover a small part of the top of the board? If you did one on each side, that would hold. However, the part on the top of the board will need to be small enough that you don't obstruct the board.

Post #5 Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:13 pm 
Lives in gote

Also, if you don't want to bend the wood to make the curved drawers, you could just have regular rectangular pull-out drawers on the sides.

And you asked about the "hinge" for the board. The easiest strategy for that might be to place dowels on each side in the middle of the portion of the table top with the board. The table top would then spin on those.

Post #6 Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:33 am 
Dies in gote

jeromie wrote:

Ohhh ... the drawers are on the sides!!! I thought they were at the player-sitting-side.
That makes another thing a lot more easier … when the drawer is on the same side as the player. The player has to stretch a very long distance to the first line on the “enemy” side :-D
But now everything makes sense :-)

BlindGroup wrote:
One thing I was wondering is how do you attach the board to the table? It would be simple to attach them with screws or dowels, but that would mean screwing or drilling into a possibly nice goban... Maybe you could design the lips that secure the board so that they cover a small part of the top of the board? If you did one on each side, that would hold. However, the part on the top of the board will need to be small enough that you don't obstruct the board.

First I thought about the wooden clamps in the video on 1:52 on the right and the left side. I will drill 3 holes in the goban from the side on two sides and drew it tight. But your Idea is very good but it has to be very tight because if the rotating table. Thanks for that.

BlindGroup wrote:
Also, if you don't want to bend the wood to make the curved drawers, you could just have regular rectangular pull-out drawers on the sides. And you asked about the "hinge" for the board. The easiest strategy for that might be to place dowels on each side in the middle of the portion of the table top with the board. The table top would then spin on those.

First I will try to build these sliding curved drawers :-)
and thanks for the tip. I will go into a shop (in german it is called „Bauhaus“) and i will search for something which i can rotate.

Post #7 Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:25 am 
Dies in gote

Soo,
this is the table:
Attachment:
Schachtisch.png
Schachtisch.png [ 58.1 KiB | Viewed 11557 times ]

Attachment:
Gotisch.png
Gotisch.png [ 53.72 KiB | Viewed 11557 times ]

Attachment:
Gotisch 2.png
Gotisch 2.png [ 44.62 KiB | Viewed 11557 times ]

On the one side is a chessboard and on the other side is a go-board. The two wood notches are for the captured stones and the drawer has two spaces: one for the gobox and the other one for the chess pieces. The small one is for the goboxcap.

I have to test the table height in the next weeks (i vary between 60cm/23,62 and 74cm/29,13 inch...with 74cm you can put your knees under the table) and i have to search for the best hinges.

I will write again when I am a little bit further maybe with a few real pics ;-)

Post #8 Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:05 am 
Lives in gote

That is awesome!

Post #9 Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:53 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Dragonstone wrote:
I will write again when I am a little bit further maybe with a few real pics ;-)
Very cool … I’d like to know when you go into mass production :cool: I might want to order one :D

Post #10 Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:09 pm 
Lives in gote

I'm not sure where to go with this, but I had a thought. The original table looks like it was designed to double as a coffee/end Table when not serving in go-mode. The hidable drawers then enabled one to hide game supplies so that they didn't interfere with coffee-table-mode.

At the point that you are giving up coffee-table-mode for chess-mode (which is honestly a better option...), does it make sense to rethink other aspects of the design? For example, if the table is only going to be used for game-play, the ability to hide the drawers is less valuable. So, you could make then non-retractable. Or what about making the drawers circular with one half of each circle dedicated to go and the other to chess? The drawers would still rotate, but one half would always be exposed depending on which game would be played. That could be useful if you wanted more storage space for each set of game pieces.

Finally, rather than attaching a go-board, why not make the center board the go board itself and etch the chess board onto the back of it? Again, this wouldn't work in the original design because the back of the goban would look terrible in coffee-table-mode, but that's not an issue for chess-mode.

I feel like there might be other changes you could consider along these lines, but these are the ones that popped into my head when I realized the change is use implied by the new design.

This post by BlindGroup was liked by 2 people: Dragonstone, Waylon

Post #11 Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:57 am 
Dies in gote

BlindGroup wrote:
That is awesome!

Bonobo wrote:
Very cool … I’d like to know when you go into mass production :cool: I might want to order one :D

:-D The easy virtual part is done but now comes the hard craft part. And as a physiotherapist I am not a very good craftman ;-) … we will see … When i think of the working hours the table will cost a lot of money :-D :-D :-D
BlindGroup wrote:
Or what about making the drawers circular with one half of each circle dedicated to go and the other to chess? The drawers would still rotate, but one half would always be exposed depending on which game would be played. That could be useful if you wanted more storage space for each set of game pieces.
Finally, rather than attaching a go-board, why not make the center board the go board itself and etch the chess board onto the back of it? Again, this wouldn't work in the original design because the back of the goban would look terrible in coffee-table-mode, but that's not an issue for chess-mode.
I feel like there might be other changes you could consider along these lines, but these are the ones that popped into my head when I realized the change is use implied by the new design.

You have very good ideas BlindGroup but when I have a circular drawer I can not rotate the table and I like the idea of a rotate table to impress other people ;-)
But I will appreciate the circular drawer when something with the rotate table does not work.

I do not know if i can etch a chessboard (has is something to do with acid???) I think i will buy a chessboard or when my motivation is still enormous high i will make a chessboard with small wooden plates :-)

I thought about a lot of changes or other things (for example: a place for a clock or places for tee cups … ) but then I will never start with crafting ;-)
So I said to me that this is the table and when something is not working I will have to overthink it.

I hope I will make it to a “Bauhaus” next week or the week after to ask for hinges and look for some wood in the right size.

Post #12 Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:27 pm 
Lives in gote

Dragonstone wrote:
You have very good ideas BlindGroup but when I have a circular drawer I can not rotate the table and I like the idea of a rotate table to impress other people ;-)
But I will appreciate the circular drawer when something with the rotate table does not work.

I hadn't thought of that... Honestly, I was just throwing out ideas. That said, I agree: spinning the board is too valuable :-)

Dragonstone wrote:
I do not know if i can etch a chessboard (has is something to do with acid???) I think i will buy a chessboard or when my motivation is still enormous high i will make a chessboard with small wooden plates :-)

I was actually thinking of something a little easier than formal "etching", but I'm still not convinced it is a good idea. I was just imagining turning the goban over and removing any wax or sealant from the back -- a light sanding might not be a bad idea but it would remove any coloring applied to the back. Then you could just paint on the lines of the chess board and color in the darker squares with a significantly darker wood stain than is on the rest of the board.

Dragonstone wrote:
I hope I will make it to a “Bauhaus” next week or the week after to ask for hinges and look for some wood in the right size.

Good luck and post a picture when you get something!

Post #13 Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:21 pm 
Dies in gote

Sooo,
just a short info: i was at the Bauhaus and I think that everything will work :-)
I have to change the dimensions a little bit but that is okay. They told me that I can order round wood and my father told me that there are special wood types which I can bend for the drawers :-)

For the moving wood panels I will use metal-pins which I already bought.

The table height will be approximately 72cm/28,3 inch.

I will write again when I start but I think it will take a couple of weeks …

This post by Dragonstone was liked by 2 people: BlindGroup, Bonobo

Post #14 Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:45 am 
Dies in gote

Hello again,
i am sorry that it takes so long but i had to learn a lot for an extra education (and i got it: yeah) and had additionally a lot of work to do.
I had to change another thing: the small frame around the drawer was to thin. So i will build the drawer wider and there will be only a crossbar above and below so that the weight from the drawer is kept better (go-stones + go-boxes + chess-figures).

I hope the bigger round board for the drawer is coming soon.
For the rounded piece of wood i have two plans ... i will have to test them and see which one will work.

Greetings in a few weeks ... i hope so :oops:

Attachments:
File comment: How it looks now without the frame
A.png
A.png [ 44.46 KiB | Viewed 10618 times ]
File comment: How it looks before with frame
Vorher.png
Vorher.png [ 39.23 KiB | Viewed 10618 times ]

Post #15 Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:35 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Are you planning on making a 19 x 19 board, or a 9 x 9 as shown?

Post #16 Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:28 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Great project!

The only problem I have with it is that it is play-only table - i.e. not very good for studying, since when you sit on one side it is hard to reach the stones on the other side. Which means you want this for playing and you also need another board for studying. Or is there a smart way to adjust the design to make studying and game replaying easier?

Post #17 Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:40 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
Bantari wrote:
Great project!

The only problem I have with it is that it is play-only table - i.e. not very good for studying, since when you sit on one side it is hard to reach the stones on the other side. Which means you want this for playing and you also need another board for studying. Or is there a smart way to adjust the design to make studying and game replaying easier?

Based on previous discussion (see posts 3-6), the stones should be on the left and right sides of the table, not directly in front of the player. This should make it possible to use both sides when studying.

Post #18 Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:41 am 
Dies in gote

Hello,
jeromie wrote:
Based on previous discussion (see posts 3-6), the stones should be on the left and right sides of the table, not directly in front of the player. This should make it possible to use both sides when studying.

thats right jeromie.

sybob wrote:
Are you planning on making a 19 x 19 board, or a 9 x 9 as shown?

Sybob: i plan a chess-board on the one side and a go-board on the other side.

Attachments:
File comment: This is the line of sight.
GO-Chess-Table.jpg
GO-Chess-Table.jpg [ 414.34 KiB | Viewed 10402 times ]

Post #19 Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:29 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
jeromie wrote:
Bantari wrote:
Great project!

Oh, I see. And you can probably also put both colors into the same drawer, which would make it even easier. Sweet!