All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: AlphaGo selfplay
Post #21 Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:30 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 32
Mef wrote:

I suppose it takes a little bit of the sting out of losing ko fights as well (=

More often than not, the compensation you get for losing the ko is much bigger anyway.. :)

I am looking forward to seeing pros react to these Alphago games. Especially these unprovoked attachments all over. Maybe Alphago would be even stronger if not doing these. I don't think so. Extremely interested in what the comments will say.

Post #22 Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:57 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Bill Spight wrote:
Kirby wrote:
Bill,
I think 7.5 komi may very well be correct komi - just want to point out that testing with current version of AlphaGo is not necessarily rigorous.

For example, maybe AlphaGo trained with 10.5 komi plays very aggressively as black to overcome the point difference. You come up with a different program, so it remains possible that black wins more often against itself with this aggressive strategy.

Can't you apply that argument to players of yore who made overplays as White to overcome the lack of komi?

Quote:
Seems unlikely to me, but I just feel a single version of AlphaGo may not be qualified to generally prove correct komi.

I don't think that we can prove correct komi. :)

Agree, and agree :-)

Post #23 Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:19 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 278
KGS: mathmo 4d
IGS: mathmo 4d
the alphago games are incredible beyond words. the level is so high, with so many brilliant new ideas. I can tell you the sharp attachments look like very clever probes, moving towards perfect play, and most of the games have sequences with inhuman reading power, so that no longer seems to be a weakness. it will be difficult to find its mistakes.

I found the games inspiring on the one hand - I just won the challengers tournament and will play uberdude in the final of the British championship. I played some very fun games influenced by ideas from alphago. I was bold enough andrelaxed enough to be creative with it. and it worked very well especially with my background of familiarity with its style. my level probably will jump at least a stone from understanding it's ideas.

though on the other, individual ambition into high level go loses some of its meaning. it will be a collaborative effort to understand alphago's moves. It would be nice to see a movement to react against some of its style though, so there is some counterpoint.

I will work on the usual reviews of my games and then alphago self play in the summer as exams are next week. while I could be satisfied with master game reviews after about a week (I stopped because of the quality of Redmonds reviews), the self play reviews will take months or years with the depth and complexity.

Post #24 Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:01 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 45
It is more or less known for ages that the correct komi is 7.0, so there is no surprise in that department. As for AlphaGo, what I don't understand is why retire before playing the obvious last step: handi games against top pros.

Post #25 Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:05 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 153
moha wrote:
... As for AlphaGo, what I don't understand is why retire before playing the obvious last step: handi games against top pros.

What will be the benefit for professionals to play handicap games with regard to their "usual" job (that consists on even games) ?

Igo Hatsuyōron #120 (really solved by KataGo)

Post #26 Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:12 am 
Lives in gote

Cassandra wrote:
moha wrote:
... As for AlphaGo, what I don't understand is why retire before playing the obvious last step: handi games against top pros.

What will be the benefit for professionals to play handicap games with regard to their "usual" job (that consists on even games) ?

Knowing and understanding more about the game maybe? Such as when playing in areas where the opponent has more stones, or the reverse? Also, since AlphaGo strongly positioned itself as a research project, it would be logical even if pros would not be that interested (but I'm sure they would).

Post #27 Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:30 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
moha wrote:
It is more or less known for ages that the correct komi is 7.0, so there is no surprise in that department.

It has been more or less known by a relatively few players that practical komi for modern pros is around 7, for about 40 years. Even in dog years, that's hardly ages. ;) And the Nihon Kiin only changed to a 6.5 komi in this century. There was a distinct possibility that a komi of 7.5 would favor Black in AlphaGo vs. AlphaGo games.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #28 Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:55 am 
Lives in gote

Bill Spight wrote:
There was a distinct possibility that a komi of 7.5 would favor Black in AlphaGo vs. AlphaGo games.

Sure, the possibility was there, esp since MC games are quite different from what we know so far, maybe komi-wise as well. Still the actual results agree with our current knowledge.

Post #29 Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:37 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
moha wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
There was a distinct possibility that a komi of 7.5 would favor Black in AlphaGo vs. AlphaGo games.

Sure, the possibility was there, esp since MC games are quite different from what we know so far, maybe komi-wise as well. Still the actual results agree with our current knowledge.

If the possibility was there, then our current knowledge was not knowledge of correct komi.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.