All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Reason To Quit Playing Go
Post #21 Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:55 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 5
Universal go server handle: Fadedsun
Knotwilg wrote:
I more or less quit go when I found I could not make any substantial progress anymore unless I really devoted myself to the game, which I found too much of an investment.

Another reason to quit Go for me was to start table tennis, which induces the question what I found in table tennis which I couldn't find in Go. Mostly: physical exercise and the joy of spinning a ball. Table tennis gives me more satisfaction as a human being.

Go is the greatest board game on earth but board games have their own limitations.

BTW, I would probably sacrifice table tennis if I found musicians again to play together the songs I want to play.

Why do you need to quit Go to get physical exercise from another hobby? I do yoga, but it doesn't mean I need to sacrifice playing Go for that. I'm not sure I understand why you can only have one hobby at a time? With a smartphone, I feel there's always time for a little bit of Go. Whether it's a correspondence game, doing a few L&D problems, or looking at a pro game.

I can't think of a reason to quit playing altogether, but surely there will be times in my life I can't devote a lot of time to the game.

Post #22 Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:45 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 1
Tygem: fycj123
OGS: fycj
Universal go server handle: fycj
I have found that a lot of people drop Go in favor of sports or physical exercise and then come back after a few years

After a while you learn to balance everything, I dropped Go for some years to do sports and came back recently, but now I do both, my first reason is that i was burned out from Go and i wanted something more physical, funnily enough now I was burn from doing just sports and wanted something more mental

Post #23 Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:27 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Fadedsun wrote:
Why do you need to quit Go to get physical exercise from another hobby?

Because the day of TT training is the same as the Go club gathering. Playing Go online only doesn't work for me: I need humans around me when doing a pastime.

Maybe more importantly, either Go or TT are not mere pastimes, they are areas for development. Such development demands a certain amount of focus. I've learnt, sadly, that it is too hard to develop multiple skills at the same time, not with a family and a job.

But what doesn't work for me, may well work for you. Cheers!

Post #24 Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:28 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 13
I think about quitting pretty often. There is definitely a love hate thing with Go for me. If I suffer a painful loss it does seem to really affect my peace of mind.

I'm playing a game on DGS at the minute that I was feeling pretty confident about, I'd killed off a large group and just had the end game to go. Last night, I was just about to sit down to meditate and my opponent played a devastating move. It looks like I have overplayed and now I am going to lose a huge corner and lose. This really wound me up, I spent ages trying to find a way to save the group, had a disturbed meditation session and ended up getting to bed far too late.

Times like that I just feel like I would be better off not playing Go at all.

But another thought did occur to me that I could take it on board as a valuable life lesson. Expectations, attachments to outcomes, seeking the joy in every aspect, maintaining an attitude of curiosity to life, not getting to greedy. All these are things I could learn and take on board through my Go games.

I don't think I will really be quitting any time soon..

Post #25 Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:41 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 5

Last edited by Cyan on Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #26 Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:29 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
One good reason to stop playing go? To study go more is a valid reason.