Post subject: mobile phone collection
Post #1 Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:24 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
Attachment:
wKhpBlok6diAAjQjAAF8tJyXPus620.jpg!T800x600.jpg
wKhpBlok6diAAjQjAAF8tJyXPus620.jpg!T800x600.jpg [ 262.71 KiB | Viewed 5857 times ]

Not a second hand phone shop, but a scene from a Chinese tournament. It is now a standard requirement for players to hand in their phones before the games.

This post by macelee was liked by 4 people: Baywa, dust, ez4u, gowan

Post subject: Re: mobile phone collection
Post #2 Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:22 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 9
KGS: moboy78
IGS: moboy78
How do most of the tournament organizers there feel about recording games? Do they only allow game recording sheets?

Post subject:
Post #3 Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:28 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Nice if this also applies at (movie) theaters here. :-?

Hi moboy78,

For some reason I thought it was a pro tourney.
Maybe wrong assumption. :oops:
( For non-pros, once above a certain level, they can recall their games immediately afterwards. )

Post #4 Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:07 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
I’d say that even (or especially) at amateur tournaments, the days of using an electronic device to record a game are coming to an end. It’s just too easy to have access to a stronger player in your pocket, and trying to police exactly what people are doing on their device is an impossible task.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:03 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 60
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
Indeed Cheating with technology has been an issue for Chess, for some time. I think it would be wise for tournament organizers, look at what they have done to try to prevent it. As I recall at the last US Chess Congress they had metal detector installed.

Sadly human nature being what it is we must be vigilant.

Here is a link to FIDE's paper on the subject.
https://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEW ... nex_50.pdf

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

Post #6 Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:39 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 5
Universal go server handle: Fadedsun
Wouldn't it be painfully obvious if you were trying to use your phone to cheat right across from your opponent? Even if you were only using your phone to record your game, it would still be obvious if you were looking at it for any extended period beyond recording moves.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:27 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Fadedsun wrote:
Wouldn't it be painfully obvious if you were trying to use your phone to cheat right across from your opponent? Even if you were only using your phone to record your game, it would still be obvious if you were looking at it for any extended period beyond recording moves.

You could be using an app that looked like a game-recording app, but subtly indicated what your next move should be.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:04 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
Quote:

The cheating in chess includes phone-consulting visits to the toilet, coffee bar, etc, and also accomplices sending messages from outside (not just to phones but to vibrators strapped to a player's legs to pick up Morse-code like input). Phone messages can be coded, too, of course, and that kind of cheating goes back to Edo times when strong spectating hustlers would say things like "O-cha?" (want some tea?) with the first letter indicating the coordinate line to play on to a weak accomplice actually doing the playing. Then there's a Ming book on various shenanigans (and punishments) in ancient China.

There is also the cheat Mitani Yuki in Hikaru no Go.

The most remarkable thing to me is that most cheating in chess is not to do with winning money prizes, but simply with gaining rating points (and, online, anonymously - frankly, that's so far beyond my ken, I don't feel these people even belong to the same species as me).

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: ez4u

Post #9 Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:55 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 5
Universal go server handle: Fadedsun
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

The most remarkable thing to me is that most cheating in chess is not to do with winning money prizes, but simply with gaining rating points (and, online, anonymously - frankly, that's so far beyond my ken, I don't feel these people even belong to the same species as me).

This also makes no sense to me. If you're cheating to get rating points that indicates you are one of the best, clearly you know you aren't if the only reason you got there was by cheating. When it came down to championship games where cheating would be next to impossible, they would crumble.

Regarding Go apps that give hints for the next move, I find it to be subpar. I use it on Crazystone sometimes just to see what the computer suggests, but then if you run the in-game analysis the computer will almost always suggest a better move than the one the hint offered.