It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fox Go Server
Post #61 Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:13 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
I also have problems getting the iPad app to work. When I tap the green button in the middle, there will be a popup with a QR code. I do not see where I can enter my logon information.

Post #62 Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:20 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 4
KGS: kneh
SpongeBob wrote:
I also have problems getting the iPad app to work. When I tap the green button in the middle, there will be a popup with a QR code. I do not see where I can enter my logon information.

If you mean the green button at this screen, I think that's used to log in with WeChat by means of a QR code (you scan the QR code from the WeChat app to complete the log in procedure).

https://i.imgur.com/O6ycPjE.png

I've been using the red button to log in with a kind of guest account to avoid the hassle of getting QQ or WeChat working,
but the downside is that it will frequently temporarily block access.

https://i.imgur.com/It45gLR.png

Curiously, occasionally the green button just goes missing for a while (though it usually seems to come back eventually).

https://i.imgur.com/cA8lZMV.png

Post #63 Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:54 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
I've been using Fox to observe games (rather than playing) for some time now, and yesterday I had a login error. "Account or password incorrect".

I have read comments here about locked acounts and so on, and I was wondering if it was my case. I was hoping it was a general issue. Anyway, is it possible to unlock an account? Or even first, is it possible to check that it is locked for some reason?

Post #64 Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:18 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 492
FYI I played on Fox yesterday without problem, and I could log on this morning.

Post #65 Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:04 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 25
pajaro wrote:
I've been using Fox to observe games (rather than playing) for some time now, and yesterday I had a login error. "Account or password incorrect".

I have read comments here about locked acounts and so on, and I was wondering if it was my case. I was hoping it was a general issue. Anyway, is it possible to unlock an account? Or even first, is it possible to check that it is locked for some reason?

I've noticed that if my password is autofilled sometimes I have to delete it and retype it. But not always so it's not an issue of it autofilling incorrectly. Unsure if that will help in your case

Post #66 Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:13 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 208
Was liked: 265
GD Posts: 200
First time playing on Fox today (using the foreign client from https://www.foxwq.com/soft/foreign.html ).

I clicked "choice" to choose my preferred time settings, then "Fast matching", and a board popped up almost instantly. I said hi, and then the game ended right away with a message:

Quote:
对局开始
10手以内或30秒以内结束为无效对局。
第一手请在30秒内落子。
对局结束,手数或时间不足无效对局!
‘xela’ B+ Res ‘执着向上’

Google Translate wrote:
The game begins
A game that ends within 10 moves or 30 seconds is considered invalid.
Please make your first move within 30 seconds.
The game is over, the game is invalid due to insufficient hands or time!
‘xela’ B+ Res ‘perseverance’

I tried again: maybe people are impatient here, I need to play a move before saying hi? On the second attempt, the board popped up, I was black, I placed a stone as quickly as I could, and ... same message. And again, twice more.

Then a challenge popped up from someone else. I accepted ... but same again.

So now I'm 5-0 up, but I haven't played an awful lot of go.

On the next automatch attempt, I was white, the other person played a move instantly, I replied, and they kept going. Finally, a game! Or, 58 moves of a game. As soon as it got complicated, they stopped playing moves, and I just sat and watched until the time ran out.

Is this sort of thing normal on Fox? Is there something I should be doing differently?

Post #67 Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:25 am 
Gosei

I almost never send or receive a greeting on Fox, but I don't think it hurts to send one. When I try to get a game with the Automatch, a majority of opponents cancel the game immediately, but I usually can get a (normal) game after 2-3 attempts. One possible reason is that if you don't have many games in your history and/or your winrate is high, they are afraid of sandbaggers.

Post #68 Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:26 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
Universal go server handle: hanspi
Online playing schedule: mainly playing on FoxWeiqi
xela wrote:
I tried again: maybe people are impatient here, I need to play a move before saying hi? .... Is this sort of thing normal on Fox? Is there something I should be doing differently?

Well, there are many primary school children on Fox playing on your level, and they have absolutely no patience. They play Go much in the same way western children scroll social media.

Post #69 Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:54 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 208
Was liked: 265
GD Posts: 200
OK, got it. Keep clicking automatch, don't fear rejection, just try again right away. With thousands of people online, it only takes a few seconds per attempt, so you still get a game within a minute.

Got it on the third go today, and the other person actually stuck around for the whole game. So now I've seen the famous "Fox style" close up. White made six groups, and after I killed one, the game looked close. I had to kill two groups to actually win. Don't think about territory, just strong and weak (and dead) stones. Joseki are a distant reference point, not a thing that appears on the board.

If this keeps up, I think I'll have a better appreciation of thick and thin shapes :-)

Post #70 Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:09 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
Universal go server handle: hanspi
Online playing schedule: mainly playing on FoxWeiqi
xela wrote:
If this keeps up, I think I'll have a better appreciation of thick and thin shapes :-)

And of surviving risky attacks. This is why my Go teacher told me to play a lot on Fox ;)

Post #71 Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:56 am 
Gosei

Don't assume you have a won game if you killed a group, your opponent may kill back. And vice-versa.