It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How many Chinese - Korean - Japanese pro/top amateur making
Post #1 Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:44 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
I just create this same post on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/comments ... p_amateur/
But think I should post it here too

For the past 2 decades, thanks to Mr. Korsak, who is the CEO of company that operate 7-11 in Thailand and also the president of GO association of Thailand , he put a lot of money in to this game sponsoring all kinds of go events. As a result, our Go community had grow so much here in Thailand. By looking at number of GO board sales in Thailand, we were estimated to have over 1M go player (or at least they got exposed to GO) across country with maybe up to 20 go events/ tournament each year. We even have our own GO league with over 100 dan player compete each other as a team which last for 3 month every year.

But here is the point. Even though our GO community had grew so much but I feels like we are kind of stuck in term of GO strength. The main reason is because we didn't have enough pro / top amateur from China / Japan / Korea to share their knowledge here. We only have Shi JinBo 3P (who again got invited and hired by Mr.Korsak) who stay here permanently and occasionally few korean younguseng that come for a short stay ( 2-3 month ) teaching Go then went back to Korea.

So here is a few questions I would like to ask.

1.How many top level GO player coming abroad are teaching GO in your country 2. What does it take, what make them decide to start teaching GO in your country? 3. How much money do low level pro, top amateur Go player make in their China, Korea, Japan? 3. How much money do they make by teaching go at your country?

Thanks!

This post by smiley159 was liked by: gamesorry

Post subject: Re: How many Chinese - Korean - Japanese pro/top amateur mak
Post #2 Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:17 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 276
Was liked: 49
KGS: 3d
DGS: 3d
OGS: 3d
Have you considered sponsoring players to attend Go schools in China/Korea/Japan for a few months/weeks? That might help build up the first batch of strong players, and then they can teach others :)