All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Establishing a player's identity
Post #41 Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:32 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 153
GD Posts: 100
KGS: Tryss
If your training set has 3% error and your test set has 43%, you're overfitting way too much : it doesn't work.

So you either need more data or an other network configuration

Post #42 Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:49 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
moha wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
A reduction of the average error from an expected 50% to 43% by training on only 40 games is not bad, IMO. :)
There may also be huge random variance since the test set is small. And I'm afraid you are underestimating the amount of training data required for answers of this complexity. How would a human perform on this task - if he didn't know go before?

I doubt if I am underestimating the amount of training data required. I was quite surprised that training on only 40 games did so well.

Anyway, the question is required for what. To help is all that I require.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #43 Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:15 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 94
pnprog wrote:
I started a run with 2x400 training games and 2x400 control games. It's very slow on my computer, so I will let it run this night.
The training is still ongoing (performed 98 iterations), but it showing signs of over-fitting already: 27.8% vs 39.7%

Still, it is better than before.

This post by pnprog was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #44 Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:46 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 45
There is always some difference between the training set and the test set, depending on amount of training (if you couldn't heavily overfit the training with infinite iterations that would mean a problem with the net or the data, esp. with small training sets - oc in practice you stop much earlier).

I'd be more worried about the test results - what does it learn, and how reliably it generalizes in the long run and against different (unseen) opponents? My guess would be simple statistics like average distance from opponents move, tenuki percentage, second and third line move frequency, number of ko captures etc. Which could appear to work in one case, but could also fail in another. Did you also have move number as input?

Post #45 Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:27 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
GD Posts: 100
KGS: Tryss
A possible idea :

Step 1 : Start by training a level x policy network on games of players with level x. This network is reusable.

Step 2 : Add another couple layers at the end and train the last couple layers to discriminate between player A and not player A (you can further train the whole network when your last layers are well trained)

By building on a network that already "know" something, it may take much less training data than by starting with a fresh network

Obviously, this is just an idea and testing is needed (and I'm not able to try this experiment before a couple weeks)

Post #46 Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:55 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 94
Tryss wrote:
Step 1 : Start by training a level x policy network on games of players with level x. This network is reusable.

Step 2 : Add another couple layers at the end and train the last couple layers to discriminate between player A and not player A (you can further train the whole network when your last layers are well trained
Well, this is out of my league in fact :(

I gave the previous run, it was stuck at the same error levels for the whole day. I had a few more try with different network size, but it's all the same, the control group hardly get past 39% error.

I guess that's it for me, I will upload the script I used to prepare the training data for other to try.

Just for fun: I noticed the SGF games I downloaded include the ELO rating of the bots, so I'm thinking trying to build again a training set with bots that are more or less at the same level (in a given ELO interval), and have try again to see if it makes a difference (I will probably download more archives from CGOS for that).

Post #47 Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:18 am 
Honinbo

Tryss wrote:
A possible idea :

Step 2 : Add another couple layers at the end and train the last couple layers to discriminate between player A and not player A (you can further train the whole network when your last layers are well trained)

By building on a network that already "know" something, it may take much less training data than by starting with a fresh network

Obviously, this is just an idea and testing is needed (and I'm not able to try this experiment before a couple weeks)

Distinguishing between player A and player B should in general be easier than distinguishing between player A and not player A.

Training policy networks at different levels is an important first step in rating the level of a player's play in a specific game, something which is now done in chess.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #48 Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:22 am 
Honinbo

pnprog wrote:
I gave the previous run, it was stuck at the same error levels for the whole day. I had a few more try with different network size, but it's all the same, the control group hardly get past 39% error.

I guess that's it for me, I will upload the script I used to prepare the training data for other to try.

That's actually an important result. :)

Many thanks for your efforts. :D

Visualize whirled peas.