It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fox Update
Post #1 Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:50 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 25
Hi all,

Today I had my Fox client update, there appears to be a number of changes.
Unfortunately much of the interface hasn't been translated. There is now some way to use fine art to review games, but it seems you need to use points or tokens or something. I managed to open one game for review, and it had a histogram of win rate, but I couldn't work out any way to see any alternative moves etc. Also appears to be some new way to get auto matches, but I haven't had a chance to try it out.
Anyone able to offer any insight? If not, I'll take my laptop to the club next week and have one of the guys there translate and I'll post up some screenshots etc.

Zac

Post subject: Re: Fox Update
Post #2 Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:10 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: aitkensam
The other auto match feature is a capture Go style variant. Basically you get one additional point per captured (or dead at the end of the game) stone. So two points per prisoner. A way to encourage more violence I guess. You can play this variant as rated.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:18 pm 
Beginner

Regarding the Fine Art section, there are various ways to gain "points".
Ranking up, supporting when observing games (no idea how to do this), and sharing / inviting people to play on Fox.
For every 10 points you accumulate you get 1 Fine Art review. I don't have enough points so can't tell you anything about the review functionality.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:58 pm 
Beginner

So I managed to get a Fine Art review.

You can launch a Fine Art review by opening up a game and the clicking the button in the bottom right.

In the actual review:

The bottom right button with the question mark next to it is "Fine Art's recommendation". So for 20 moves during the game you can ask Fine Art to suggest it's preferred sequence. It'll then show the win rate for its move and your game move.

That's basically the only functionality that's not part of the rest of the client. Other than that the left button is enter / exit variation mode and the middle button is score estimate (the normal Fox estimator, not Fine Art).

The ? button explains a bit about what the review tool offers (this is a meaning translation, not word for word):
1. Two main functions - win rate graph and Fine Art recommendation.
2. Explains that Fine Art uses Chinese rules with 7.5 komi and so the win rate graph won't be as accurate for Japanese rules / no komi etc.
3. Explains that Fine Art is resource intensive, so that's why you can't use it as much as you want and why you're limited to 20 recommendations.
4. Says the tool uses the version of Fine Art that won the AI Ryusei in Dec 2017.
5. Says the win rate graph is based on the neural network, not tree search.
6. Says the recommendation tool uses tree search for 1600 calculations (I guess this means nodes??)

In the Fine Art review menu reached by clicking the button on the right of the lobby screen:

The top number tells you how many Fine Art review tokens you have remaining.
The button next to this opens a menu that lets you view any reviews you've already completed.
The second number (on the left) tells you how many points you've got. These points reset to zero every Monday.
The next number (on the right) tells you how many points you need to exchange for a Fine Art review token. The button underneath this is to exchange your points for a token.
The next four buttons are the ways to get points that I explained before.