It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Study Practices and Go
Post #1 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:28 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
This article in the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/07/health/views/07mind.html) discusses some interesting observations about learning through studying. Although it doesn't talk about go specifically, it certainly has some practical application.

In short, it suggests that the following may help you learn through studying (some of these go against conventional wisdom):

- Alternating study environments (studying the same thing in two different places, rather than repeatedly studying it in the same place)
- Studying mixed, but related, content
- Self-testing
- Spacing (i.e. spreading out study sessions rather than taking it on all at once)

In particular, I found the discussion on studying mixed content relevant. The article suggests that, perhaps, the brain has to work harder to solve a problem when it doesn't know the strategy to attack the problem before hand. It gives the example of an entire set of math problems of the same type, but I think it has direct application to tsumego and other forms of study. I've commented before that the reason I like Graded Go Problems is that the problems are mixed (although, perhaps it would be better not to categorize them).

There is also some interesting discussion on "cramming."

Of course, go is a game--I "study" in the way most enjoyable to me, almost irrespective of how much I learn. But, all things being equal, I might as well learn more :). Also, as noted in the article, there are surely other variables that make take priority over these.

Post subject: Re: Study Practices and Go
Post #2 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:33 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
- Alternating study environments

agree with it.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:02 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
The correction concerning the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is delightful.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:14 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
nytimes wrote:
The brain makes subtle associations between what it is studying and the background sensations it has at the time, the authors say, regardless of whether those perceptions are conscious. It colors the terms of the Versailles Treaty with the wasted fluorescent glow of the dorm study room, say; or the elements of the Marshall Plan with the jade-curtain shade of the willow tree in the backyard. Forcing the brain to make multiple associations with the same material may, in effect, give that information more neural scaffolding.

I also found the article interesting, and particularly the above quote caught my eye, and made me think about the difference between looking at my laptop and placing real stones on a board. Clearly the latter gives your brain more to play with.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:45 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
daal wrote:

I also found the article interesting, and particularly the above quote caught my eye, and made me think about the difference between looking at my laptop and placing real stones on a board. Clearly the latter gives your brain more to play with.

Definitely worth experimenting. I agree that, given one or the other, placing stones on the board seems better for me. Maybe doing both is best? If you're studying joseki, you probably want to go over one several times (if it is a significant joseki at least), thinking about each move. Maybe playing it over a board and in front of your computer at different times is best?

Lots of useful ideas here.